Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

Re: Garage addition

I just ordered a 21 degree framing nailer so I can install the strapping. I'm going to pick up some 10d nails for the framing nailer this week-end. Hopefully I can start installing the strapping 2 weeks from now. After a lot of searching I managed to find a great deal in case anyone else needs a 21 degree framing nailer + palm nailer for $99.88 shipped.
»www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto···pXm9gYyA
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

rlt2562
The Wizard of Speed and Time
Premium
join:2002-12-23
Haughton, LA
kudos:1
reply to Draiman

Xcal, I'm quite jealous! I wish my 2-car garage had separate doors instead of the jumbo single.

My only question: Are you going to treat the new stairs on the side with some stain/waterseal? If so, what?
--
You may say I'm a Dreamer.... But I'm not the only one.....

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by rlt2562:

Xcal, I'm quite jealous! I wish my 2-car garage had separate doors instead of the jumbo single.

My only question: Are you going to treat the new stairs on the side with some stain/waterseal? If so, what?

I'll water seal the new deck next year.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

I finished patching all the nail holes and cracks in the sub-floor last week and painted it this week-end. The guys did their last task which was finishing the drywall in the garage on Friday. I had pictures all ready to post but left the thumb drive with them at home so I'll post pictures tomorrow.

I'll be building a half wall for the stairs (guard) this week then the building inspector said he'll sign the final on the garage.
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Draiman

Click for full size
Click for full size
Here's the sub-floor pictures. It took me 10 hours to fill everything and 7 hours to paint it. A very painful venture but hopefully well worth the investment. Cost was $16 for wood filler, $6 for putty knife, and $50 for the primer/sealer for a grand total of ~$72 for this project.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

What did you use to prime the OSB boards?

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits

said by alkizmo:

What did you use to prime the OSB boards?

Oil based primer/sealer rated as a vapor barrier. I called Advantech about it to be safe and they said it was an approved paint to use and wouldn't void the warranty on the sub-floor.
»www.homedepot.com/Paint-Primers/···Id=10053
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

3 edits
reply to Draiman

Click for full size
The half wall materials were delivered today. I'm planning to make a 4' high by 8' long half wall between the knee wall and the end of the stairs for a stair guard. I'll be using 2x4 to frame the half wall and 1/2" gypsum to cover it. I picked up a 1x6 clear pine board to go on top which will make the top into a 6" wide shelf. I picked up some 4" 1/2 lag bolts to help reinforce the bottom plate in addition to toe nailing the bottom plate. I'm planning to add in some blocking as well so the stairs railing can attach to the half wall at the top very solid.

Did I miss anything or anything else I can do to improve the strength of the half wall?

Edit: I think I'm going to scrap installing lag screws in favor of using structural screws.
»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R···3OW9gYyA
--

natedj
Elected
Premium
join:2001-06-06
Columbia, SC

Gang up the studs on the end of the existing knee wall to tie the new half wall into.
--
Good judgement comes with experience...Experience comes after bad judgements

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

1 recommendation

reply to Draiman

I don't remember if you have a double or single joist under that wall. If you can figure out that it is definitely a single then this is what I would do. Build the wall like normal but stop the bottom plate and studs 3.5 inches short of where you really want the framed wall to end. The top plate will extend the full length but will have to go on last. You are going to use a good quality straight 4x4 (oak or some other hardwood, not PT pine) to fill out the remaining 3.5 inches. Cut a small hole in the subfloor for the 4x4 to go down. The rim joist will be partially blocking that 3.5 by 3.5 footprint of the 4x4 so only cut where the rim joist isn't. Then notch the 4x4 so part of it will drop down next to the rim joist. Then while standing on the stairs you can drill a couple holes through the rim joist and into the 4x4. Use lag bolts that are only threaded half way, you don't want threads in the rim joist otherwise it won't suck the 4x4 tight to the rim joist. Make sure to drill a countersink so the head of the lag will sit flush and not stick out. That's somewhat confusing so I made a pic real quick in SketchUp.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC

1 edit
reply to Draiman

Ken - It's a single 2x10 joist on the side I think. I'll check tonight when I get home and see for sure.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

Click for full size
The original plan was to build the half wall like these with a double front, top, and reinforce the back as needed. Add a 1/2" gypsum board to the room side and a 1x6 clear pine shelf on top with the 1/2" equivalent structural screws holding the bottom plate into the joist.
--

Ken
Premium,MVM
Markle, IN

You can certainly build it like that and it will work just fine. But I always build it the way I posted as I don't like how bouncy the end of the wall is when built the other way.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

said by Ken:

You can certainly build it like that and it will work just fine. But I always build it the way I posted as I don't like how bouncy the end of the wall is when built the other way.

Yea I want it to be as solid as possible within reason. The downside is the final sign off is waiting on this to be done as well so speed is also a small factor. On the same hand I don't really want to redo it down the road if I don't have too.

Another question is does the guard have to extend past the stairs like the above picture or can it be flush with the top riser? Is that a personal preference thing or code? I can't see anything in the ICC about it just height.
--

K12SECFR

@69.195.247.x
reply to Draiman

Just a thought - depending on what you want to eventually put in that room, that half-wall may make carrying things up the stairs and getting it in there very difficult (in terms of something large like a couch or a large piece of exercise equipment, air compressor, etc.) - you may want to consider something slightly less permanent / more moveable than a wall.

If the stairway is wider than it appears in the pics (very possible) or you don't have any plans to move anything large up there, then of course disregard, and I know you said you don't have plans to finish / utilize the room yet.

Ken
Premium,MVM
Markle, IN
reply to Draiman

said by Draiman:

Another question is does the guard have to extend past the stairs like the above picture or can it be flush with the top riser? Is that a personal preference thing or code? I can't see anything in the ICC about it just height.

I am not aware of anything in code that requires you to extend it past the top riser. However that does seem to be the standard way it's done. I never really thought about it before, but I always extended it past without thinking why I was doing it. I guess it just seemed like the natural way to do it. If you want you could always make it flush and if the inspector complains just nail on a couple more 2x4's to pad it out.

Unxchay

join:2003-10-14
Milwaukee, WI

said by Ken:

said by Draiman:

I am not aware of anything in code that requires you to extend it past the top riser. However that does seem to be the standard way it's done. I never really thought about it before, but I always extended it past without thinking why I was doing it. I guess it just seemed like the natural way to do it. If you want you could always make it flush and if the inspector complains just nail on a couple more 2x4's to pad it out.

I haven't read this entire thread so I don't know what's been discussed thus far. However, I believe that Section 1009.11.5 of the IBC states that 12" extensions are required at the tops & bottoms of stairs. However, since I assume this is residential construction, the IRC may actually apply, in which case I can't offer any help since I don't know the IRC.

Good luck!
TOM

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to Draiman

It's a double 2x10 joist under where the half wall will be built.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

You should frame in an inspection "port" on each wall.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC

said by AVD:

You should frame in an inspection "port" on each wall.

What is that?

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

A little door or access hatch.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

said by AVD:

A little door or access hatch.

The knee walls will have a 3' x 2.5' knee wall door on each side to access the storage area.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

I'm thinking about building some built-in knee wall shelves and possibly a dresser as well. Has anyone done that before? I was thinking I'd just have to cut a stud then frame out a box then install plywood on the room side. Next I'd insulate the unconditioned side with vapor barrier facing in towards the room and screw 1" foam board on top of that to the entire back. Is that all there is too it?
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here's the half wall I built and the handrail I installed on Saturday. I also finished painting the sub-floor. Next will be the strapping upstairs and/or installation. As you can see I have a ton of insulation ready to install in the hallway.

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

Does the handrail have to return back to the wall? In my area, that is code. I do not know if your code requires it.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

said by stevek1949:

Does the handrail have to return back to the wall? In my area, that is code. I do not know if your code requires it.

I called and talked to the building inspector last week in great details step by step on what he wanted me to do then I did it exactly as he instructed me.
--

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:6

2 recommendations

reply to Draiman

Good document on stairs:

»www.stairways.org/Resources/Docu···load.pdf

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits

1 recommendation

Thanks. I'll download and save that for next year when we plan tp finish the stairs. This year I'm just doing whatever the building inspector tells me too so I can close out the permit.
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to Draiman

The building permit has been closed! The inspector said next year when I want to do drywall I need to get a "finish permit" which is $30. He said at that time I need to have the handrail returned to the wall on both ends. He said I'll need a hard wired smoke upstairs. I'll need to remove the temporary stairs and get the treads and risers to code as well. Last it's just insulation, drywall, and heating. Nothing to difficult to do.
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

With the permit closed now I can start doing some more work. I'm going to cut and frame out the knee wall doors this week-end. I'll nail up the electrical boxes as well. I might even drill the studs out for the electrical. I don't have enough 12/2 to actually wire the upstairs right now but insulation is more important anyways. I have Friday off this week so I'll be working on the garage Fri, Sat, and Sun this week.
--