Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
said by AVD:

A little door or access hatch.

The knee walls will have a 3' x 2.5' knee wall door on each side to access the storage area.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman
I'm thinking about building some built-in knee wall shelves and possibly a dresser as well. Has anyone done that before? I was thinking I'd just have to cut a stud then frame out a box then install plywood on the room side. Next I'd insulate the unconditioned side with vapor barrier facing in towards the room and screw 1" foam board on top of that to the entire back. Is that all there is too it?
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here's the half wall I built and the handrail I installed on Saturday. I also finished painting the sub-floor. Next will be the strapping upstairs and/or installation. As you can see I have a ton of insulation ready to install in the hallway.

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA
Does the handrail have to return back to the wall? In my area, that is code. I do not know if your code requires it.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
said by stevek1949:

Does the handrail have to return back to the wall? In my area, that is code. I do not know if your code requires it.

I called and talked to the building inspector last week in great details step by step on what he wanted me to do then I did it exactly as he instructed me.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8

2 recommendations

reply to Draiman

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits

1 recommendation

Thanks. I'll download and save that for next year when we plan tp finish the stairs. This year I'm just doing whatever the building inspector tells me too so I can close out the permit.
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to Draiman
The building permit has been closed! The inspector said next year when I want to do drywall I need to get a "finish permit" which is $30. He said at that time I need to have the handrail returned to the wall on both ends. He said I'll need a hard wired smoke upstairs. I'll need to remove the temporary stairs and get the treads and risers to code as well. Last it's just insulation, drywall, and heating. Nothing to difficult to do.
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman
With the permit closed now I can start doing some more work. I'm going to cut and frame out the knee wall doors this week-end. I'll nail up the electrical boxes as well. I might even drill the studs out for the electrical. I don't have enough 12/2 to actually wire the upstairs right now but insulation is more important anyways. I have Friday off this week so I'll be working on the garage Fri, Sat, and Sun this week.
--

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Draiman
said by Draiman:

The building permit has been closed! The inspector said next year when I want to do drywall I need to get a "finish permit" which is $30. He said at that time I need to have the handrail returned to the wall on both ends. He said I'll need a hard wired smoke upstairs. I'll need to remove the temporary stairs and get the treads and risers to code as well. Last it's just insulation, drywall, and heating. Nothing to difficult to do.

congratulations on a very interesting thread. 570 posts and counting.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman
It has been a wild ride for sure. I'll keep documenting the work in this thread. With any luck I'll have the garage 100% finished by Fall 2013. I'd like to get the electrical, strapping, knee wall doors, and insulation done before Spring 2013 so over the Winter here. That will leave just the stair treads/risers, handrail returns, heat, and drywall for Spring/Summer/Fall 2013. We're going to have the garage painted and asphalt sealed next year as well so it all looks good.
--

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
Thanks...I enjoyed the story.

seederjed
Premium
join:2005-02-28
Norcross, GA
reply to Draiman
As a side note, while the stair wall is open install blocking where you will mount the handrail brackets. It's much easier to place instead of hunting for studs.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
said by seederjed:

As a side note, while the stair wall is open install blocking where you will mount the handrail brackets. It's much easier to place instead of hunting for studs.

That's a good idea. I have some extra 2 x 10 I can use so there will be a large area to hook a handrail too.
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

3 edits
reply to Draiman
Here's a quick question. Who's responsibility is it to follow code when building if you have a licensed general contractor? The GC pulled the permit under their license as well. If you build stairs for example who should be responsible to make sure the risers, treads, handrail, and guard all conform to code? The GC says it's the homeowner's responsibility since that's considered 'Finish work' but the building inspector says it's the GC's responsibility since he's required to build to code, make the place safe to get an occupancy permit, and close out the permit they opened. I'd side with the building inspector. The GC wanted to charge me $450 to build a guard at the top of the stairs. I know it took me about 3 hours and $70 to build it myself. Even if I billed myself at $100/hour I couldn't get to his price. It seems like the GC was trying to screw me at the end. First asking me to pay to fix his problems then overcharging for the proposed work. Any thoughts? Was I right to take it into my own hands to do the work?
--

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
quote:
he building inspector says it's the GC's responsibility since he's required to build to code, make the place safe to get an occupancy permit,
Did the inspector issue the Occupancy Permit? Did you pay the GC. If the answer to both is yes then you're screwed as that was your leverage.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Jack_in_VA:

quote:
he building inspector says it's the GC's responsibility since he's required to build to code, make the place safe to get an occupancy permit,
Did the inspector issue the Occupancy Permit? Did you pay the GC. If the answer to both is yes then you're screwed as that was your leverage.

Yup the inspector issued the occupancy permit. I haven't paid the GC yet and he's also required to have $10,000 insurance in the state which I can put a claim against if needed. The BI said he'd fill out the state paperwork for me if I wanted to put in a claim. The BI doesn't like the GC that much! I was planning to withhold the final payment to the GC and call it even since I estimate the cost to do the work myself will be about $50-75 more then I owe him but it's not worth the trouble to start a claim for $50-75. That was the BI's recommendation on how I should handle it. I think that's the correct path but it's a war between the BI and GC with me in the middle so I was hoping someone else could give their opinion so I know if that's the right or wrong course of action.
--

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Let's see. The BI says the risers, treads, handrail, and guard don't meet code. Yet the BI issued the Occupancy Permit. What am I missing here?

If this is the case then why did the BI issue the Occupancy Permit?

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
The room above the garage is unfinished for now. The building inspector would not have approved the staircase with those issues if the room was finished as living space.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 recommendation

said by leibold:

The room above the garage is unfinished for now. The building inspector would not have approved the staircase with those issues if the room was finished as living space.

If it's unsafe and a code violation then it has to be now as a stairway is an access method to the "unfinished" space and will be used. The GC should have been made to make it meet code or remove them.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

4 edits
reply to leibold
Click for full size
said by leibold:

That's exactly how the BI explained it to me. The BI said he should force the GC to fix that stuff now but he really doesn't want the GC back after claiming that stuff is the home owner's responsibility. He said I should fix it myself and charge the GC back under his insurance or get a new contractor to fix the stuff then put in a claim against his insurance for it. I am trying to be nice so my solution is just to call it even and move on. The BI wants me to not pay him what I owe him AND put in a claim to have someone else do the work though. That's his recommended course of action. I'm caught in the middle and don't know if I should follow the BI or be nice. I'd tend to follow the BI though since he has some interest in making sure stuff is done right for my protection while the GC's main is money.

The GC did try to hack the code by installed 1x3 strapping as a handrail and 3 pieces of 1x3 strapping hooked to 2 pieces of 2x4 studs as posts with 5-6 nails into the joists to hold them for the guard. The BI just laughed though and the GC said anything over that was my responsibility. He installed it so he's done with it.
--

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to Draiman
How much money is outstanding?

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Draiman

Interesting how your GC has now become such a scoundrel, after all the praise you have given him until now. If he was only required to build the upstairs area as storage with future use as occupied/finished space, then the issues you note are moot since it isn't the current use.

I really can't believe your BI who has been your hero all along would have waited until now to say the stairs were not built right?

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to John Galt
said by John Galt:

How much money is outstanding?

$1,200 is what's outstanding so it's peanuts really. It's hard to think the GC would toss out a good reference over that. I offered to burn all the pictures I took of the entire project to DVD if he wanted once the project is done before this all happened. Our garage project documented as well as it is would be great marketing worth more then $1,200 I'd think.
--

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to Draiman
What did the drawings show?

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by AVD:

What did the drawings show?

The designer is stopping by Friday to check out the garage. He assumed the GC would build to code and said "When you have stairs you have x, y, and z you need to do for code and I shouldn't have to spell it out on the plans for a highly experienced and licensed GC." He went on to say "I didn't need to say use (2) 16D common nails per side for each stud yet they did that to code."

I can't help but laugh at the finger pointing between people on this last little bit. The GC might hurt his rep with a few people over it.
--

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to Draiman
Is part of the agreement that you are going to do the interior finish work?

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by John Galt:

Is part of the agreement that you are going to do the interior finish work?

Nothing in the contract on any interior finish work except a firewall as required by code. The contract filed with the state says the GC is going to build a "27' x 28' 2 car garage with stairs to loft". The BI's view point is the state filed plans say "Stairs" on them and he opened the permit so it's the GC's responsibility to do the work to code and close the permit out. That sounds reasonable but again I'm just caught in the middle trying to figure out how to handle it.
--

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
Too bad the inspector issued a CO. If he hadn't that would have put more pressure on the GC. Since the premit did say "stairs" he should've required them to meet code.

Coulda' shoulda' woulda', I know. Now you're stuck having to finish the job.