Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to garys_2k

Re: Garage addition

Click for full size
said by garys_2k:

Shouldn't the vapor barrier face the warm side?

Commercial rigid foil insulation has foil on both sides. It looks the exact same on the other side except it says "Owens Corning" in black letters on the silver foil.

I attached a picture of a professional install in our attic earlier this year. You can see some pieces are all silver while other's have words on them. It's the same stuff just the front vs. back of the same product.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
I see, but it looks like you also used fiberglass between the access panel and the rigid foam. Shouldn't the foam be against the door, toward the warm side, like it is in your attic picture?

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
said by garys_2k:

I see, but it looks like you also used fiberglass between the access panel and the rigid foam. Shouldn't the foam be against the door, toward the warm side, like it is in your attic picture?

The foam is flush with the 2x4's on the door. It was done the same as the pro's did our other knee wall door. Right down to the foil tape on the edges and fender washers.

Sadly the insulation work is worthless for a few years as the room won't be heated until then.

The final step will be removing the insulation then priming the entire door front and back with a sealer/primer then putting on a top coat of white paint. I'm waiting on that because it's too cold to do.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman
Click for full size
Here's a picture of the finished (for now) inside of the garage. It's still a work in progress but it's getting there.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman
What's the best way to finish Lally columns? Should we just paint them or should I frame it out square then drywall it? I'd guess if I frame it I should use pressure treated on the bottom where it touches the concrete floor? Just not sure how to handle possible water at the bottom if they are dry-walled. Any ideas?
--

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
in a garage? I usually see them naked. More room to manuver, less chance of a vehicle hitting the cladding.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to Draiman
Would I need a special paint like some type of epoxy?

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
not knowing code and requirements in your area,
if it was my house, I would use rustoleum (assuming I could spell it) or maybe some intumescing paint if I could get my hands on some.
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by AVD:

not knowing code and requirements in your area,
if it was my house, I would use rustoleum (assuming I could spell it) or maybe some intumescing paint if I could get my hands on some.

This stuff?
»www.homedepot.com/Whites/Paint-S···rGuRqQyA

Or something like this?
»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R···WidgetID
--

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
you don't need waterproofing paint on a lally column.
I was brainstorming before, so I will let someone else with more experience step up.
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to Draiman
Should I prime it first or just paint it? I'd imagine I'll need at least 2 top coats maybe 3 to get a nice thick protective layer on it.

Pher9999

join:2011-07-06
Carmel, NY
reply to Draiman
Why not get a wood covering at lowes depot. and wrap around.
»www.homedepot.com/Building-Mater···omm-x8so

Something like that.

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Pher9999:

Why not get a wood covering at lowes depot. and wrap around.
»www.homedepot.com/Building-Mater···omm-x8so

Something like that.

That'd be great if it wasn't a garage. Wood would suck up the moisture in the garage like a sponge. I'd just do multiple heavy coats of paint on it then add padding to protect your doors and family.
Expand your moderator at work

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to Draiman

Re: Garage addition

I wonder if I could just use the same paint for the garage floor and just paint the columns at the same time.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
That depends whether you want the columns to blend in with the garage or whether you want to make them stand out (to make them more noticeable to the drivers in your household). Some might like them to be a different color for aesthetic or practical reasons.

Assuming you are using an appropriate primer I don't see any reason why you couldn't use the same top coat. The nice thing about using the same paint is that you don't need to worry about drips while painting the columns.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to Draiman
Good point about it being the same color.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to Draiman
I'm having a drywall person come out this week-end for a quote but he asked if we wanted a textured or smooth finish. Does it matter?

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Smooth finish would be my preference.

--
January is National Oatmeal Month

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to Draiman
He said most people go with textured ceiling and smooth walls. I've seen smooth walls and popcorn ceiling. Never liked the popcorn ceiling though.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
NirvanaLand

It's a PITA to paint.

--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Coma:

It's a PITA to paint.

You don't pay other people to do painting for you?

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
NirvanaLand

I used too, but that was when I was younger when I didn't have any other resources.

--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Coma:

I used too, but that was when I was younger when I didn't have any other resources.

I wouldn't paint if that's the only thing that would save my life. I'll do almost anything else home improvement wise but not paint. I'd much rather pull a live 200amp wire then paint!
--

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
NirvanaLand

I was a licensed general contractor in another life. So was my father and also my sister.

--

fcisler
Premium
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY
reply to Draiman
NOT TEXTURED!

For the love of everything repairable!

Once you "texture" it it's a PITA the clean. Repairs are also ALWAYS noticeable.

My living room is HALF textured. Why? I have no clue. This leaves me two options: Scrape all the texture off or texture the rest. Without knowing WHAT they used to texture it's going to be almost impossible to match it.

Oh...I chose the third option. Lay new drywall over the old

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by fcisler:

NOT TEXTURED!

For the love of everything repairable!

Once you "texture" it it's a PITA the clean. Repairs are also ALWAYS noticeable.

My living room is HALF textured. Why? I have no clue. This leaves me two options: Scrape all the texture off or texture the rest. Without knowing WHAT they used to texture it's going to be almost impossible to match it.

Oh...I chose the third option. Lay new drywall over the old

What they said was the texture is just how the skim coat over the drywall looks after being applied. If you want it smooth they sand it down so an extra step.
--

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
NirvanaLand
said by Draiman:

What they said was the texture is just how the skim coat over the drywall looks after being applied. If you want it smooth they sand it down so an extra step.

Just tape the seams and forget about skim coating the rest of the drywall, that's what paint is for.

--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to Draiman
They feed you a load of bull.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by DarkLogix:

They feed you a load of bull.

Except the BI said the same thing as do the DIY sites. Textured you don't sands the 3rd and 4th skim coats and smooth you sand the 3rd and 4th coat.
--