Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

Re: Garage addition

Click for full size
It looks like they might have gone over the property line a little. I'll measure it off and toss a string up this week-end to check it. If the neighbor has a problem with it I'll have them move it back that 2-3' in that one spot.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Backfill: Here's the last group of pictures from yesterday.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to natedj

said by natedj:

Where is your property line? looks like some of the grading was done on the neighboring property.

I pulled out the certified plot plan and they graded right to the line. I would have had them keep grading it into the neighbors property since I don't think he would mind but I couldn't get a hold of him to confirm that so I had them stop at our line to be safe. I'll talk to the neighbor this week-end about it and I might try to get the excavator back to add 1 more truck and grade it a bit more if the neighbor is OK with that.

natedj
Elected
Premium
join:2001-06-06
Columbia, SC
reply to Draiman

Where is your property line? looks like some of the grading was done on the neighboring property.
--
Good judgement comes with experience...Experience comes after bad judgements

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Ken

said by Ken:

Considering how deep down they had to dig for the garage, did you consider just putting a basement underneath? The slab would have been more expensive, but that would have been offset somewhat by not needing the retaining wall work.

Yes and no. I looked into it a bit early in the project design but it was going to be a lot. Not sure the actual price but they guessed triple the price. This was almost double the price and I wanted to figure out what the actual cost would be on a basement under but that would have taken a few days to a week to find out and the wife was on my six about them starting. I wish I would have been able to get a quote both ways but it didn't happen.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC

1 edit
reply to Draiman

In case anyone wants to know what that thing is at the bottom of the hill by the fence that appears in a few pictures it's a target stand I built with 6 bales of hay on it for archery.

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN
reply to Draiman

Considering how deep down they had to dig for the garage, did you consider just putting a basement underneath? The slab would have been more expensive, but that would have been offset somewhat by not needing the retaining wall work.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here's a bonus project that I've been having the excavation guy do in his free time while he was here the first and second time. Bushes removed, debris removed, and a hole dug for a new tree.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Grading: This is pretty straight forward. Nothing special happened with the grading other then removing a few bushes on the side by the property line. The one picture with the orange snow markers was my garage size planning. The far one on the right is the property line. Pretty easy to see since our property is dirt and their is grass.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Compacting: They used this huge machine every time they got to about 2 feet of material added everywhere. They'd spread out 2 feet of material everywhere then compact. Add another 2 feet of material then compact. I think they ended up doing it about 4 times total over the entire area.

FYI: The guy in the gray shirt was the truck driver for the excavation company. I liked my view from the roof for that part.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to AVD

said by AVD:

drainage is to protect from heave/thaw and also leaks. Yes its overkill, but then again, its your house.

I understand why the engineer wanted it but there's no flooding and the natural grade of the land moves water in a direction where the drainage won't help really. We put it in anyways to be safe and it can't really hurt to have just in case.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Draiman

drainage is to protect from heave/thaw and also leaks. Yes its overkill, but then again, its your house.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

Click for full size
Click for full size
Drainage: Per the excavator and GC the outside drainage won't really do much but the engineer wanted it so they installed it. The one inside was pointless so we all agreed to axe the drainage inside the footings of the foundation.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to Draiman

I selected 19 pictures to post from yesterday's work. I'll post them in groups as I finish them.

Picture groups:
1 - Drainage (2 pictures)
2 - Compacting (3 pictures)
3 - Backfill (7 pictures)
4 - Grading (7 pictures)

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
reply to Draiman

"Lookin Good"

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 recommendations

reply to Draiman

Click for full size
Here's the only picture I have so far but more to follow.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to Draiman

I'm exhausted but I took ~125 pictures. I'll try to get a few up tomorrow but it might take the week-end. They showed up at like 7:45 am and left at like 5:30 pm. I think it looks great and they did a stellar job. In order to understand the scope of today's work I need to find some before pictures of the area on the side and back of the old garage. They ended up with 16 (~17-18 cubic yard) trucks of good fill material and 1 truck of stone. That doesn't include all the material that they excavated for the foundation. The excavation guy estimated the existing material was like 4 trucks worth so some where about 375 cubic yards of material today. In the ballpark of 625-650 tons of material!

natedj
Elected
Premium
join:2001-06-06
Columbia, SC
reply to Draiman

I have a feeling this batch of pics is going to be big and juciy

cwm1276

join:2004-01-16
Stillman Valley, IL
reply to Draiman

Xcal, keep the pictures coming. They are all interesting.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to Draiman

Yea it's the "T" tester that Jack posted.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 recommendation

reply to AVD

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to Jack_in_VA

penetrometer

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 edit
reply to AVD

Most residential contractors don't have the expensive digital testers that are required for highway construction as pictured in your post.

He could possibly have something like this:

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to Draiman

does it look like this?
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

They have some spike thing they pop in the soil for compaction testing. I jumped as high as I could and landed on 1 foot to try to dent the soil. Nothing at all besides a light footprint. Since I'm here I've been able to get them to do a few bonus things. It helps I agreed to pay them in cash as well. We're both helping each other out.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
reply to Draiman

Appears they are doing an excellent job of compacting. It's good you have a contractor that is doing quality work. That makes life a lot easier for you.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to Draiman

how are they testing the compaction?
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to Draiman

They are compacting it every 2 feet of fill they add with a huge compactor. The specs call for it at 95% compacted so they are spending more time on compacting then they normally would per the excavation guy. He's very good and I love his work. Total confidence in that part of the project. I'm also home making sure he does it the way I want it. We changed it from a 25' retaining wall for the new driveway to just graded fill. I think that will look much nicer and it doesn't hurt it saves some money. I think I've taken about 50-70 pictures today so far. After this point the project will just be basic building so kind of boring.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:6
reply to Draiman

said by Draiman:

They are planning to install the drainage, backfilling the garage foundation...

Pay attention to how they do the backfill...

It should be done in 'lifts' and compacted using a jumping jack and an appropriate amount of supplemental water to achieve proper compaction.

I'd have to say this is one of the most neglected areas in construction.
--
The most powerful weapon in the world is ignorance. Politicians exploit it to achieve almost anything they want.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to Draiman

They are planning to install the drainage, backfilling the garage foundation, excavate the retaining wall (driveway expansion), and digging me a hole on the other side of the yard so I can plant an 8' tall tree today.