Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Draiman

Premium Member

to Draiman

Re: Garage addition

From what I've been told you just use a different roller, and it can get hard to make it totally smooth this was as it can run a little, but possible if careful.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to Coma

to Coma
said by Coma:

said by Draiman:

What they said was the texture is just how the skim coat over the drywall looks after being applied. If you want it smooth they sand it down so an extra step.

Just tape the seams and forget about skim coating the rest of the drywall, that's what paint is for.

Yea that's the other school of thought. The BI said he wouldn't sign off on the firewall with just that done so it was skim coated. I guess it really doesn't matter if the interior garage matches the hallway and upstairs of the garage though.

I was reading up and textured sucks if you ever want wallpaper so I'm doing the walls smooth whether that's skim coat and sand or just leave the drywall bare and only mud the seems/corners/edges/etc.

If I go the skim coat route I'm paying someone to do the work where as if it's just seem/corner/edge mudding I'd do the drywall work myself.
Draiman

Draiman

I called the BI to talk to him about a 'finish' permit. I mentioned I planned to do 1/2" drywall for everything and he said I should do 1/2" on the walls and 5/8" on the ceiling. It's not a big price difference for just the ceilings but I wasn't sure why he would recommend a thicker drywall for the ceiling? Anyone heard of this?

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

1 recommendation

leibold

MVM

said by Draiman:

It's not a big price difference for just the ceilings but I wasn't sure why he would recommend a thicker drywall for the ceiling?

The thicker drywall is less likely to bend or crack (either from its own weight or from the insulation above it). This is less of an issue in vertical applications why a thinner drywall is sufficient for the walls.

netboy34
Premium Member
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA

netboy34 to Draiman

Premium Member

to Draiman
around here, 5/8 is usually only fire rated, and code is 30 minute fire rated for all ceilings to slow the vertical climb.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to Draiman

Premium Member

to Draiman
Don't forget to put beads on Drywall adhesive on the joists/studs that meet the sheetrock. Around here, it is code to use adhesive for ceilings along with screws. I also put on walls to cut down vibrations (media room). (PS. don't ask me how I feel about screws vs nails)

(subwoofer makes the closet doors rattle...)

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by cableties:

Don't forget to put beads on Drywall adhesive on the joists/studs that meet the sheetrock. Around here, it is code to use adhesive for ceilings along with screws. I also put on walls to cut down vibrations (media room). (PS. don't ask me how I feel about screws vs nails)

(subwoofer makes the closet doors rattle...)

I would put on some adhesive if I did the job myself but it's not code so the pros won't do that. They just toss up screws ever 12 inches on walls and every 9 inches on ceilings.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by Draiman:

it's not code so the pros won't do that.

A real pro will do what the client specifies.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by AVD:

said by Draiman:

it's not code so the pros won't do that.

A real pro will do what the client specifies.

They'll gladly do overkill if your willing to pay. Who wouldn't do more if it made them more money? Even McD's is pushing to get you to upgrade from a Medium to a Large. Anything that empties your pocket into theirs!

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

Here, they have to put adhesive up as there was a lawsuit against several townhome builders where the ceiling sheetrock collapsed on owners. 'rockers used nails only-no screws.

I've had several nails get popped because of the "truss" floor flex. I got mad a the crappy Sears Shop vac, kicked it and threw it down (anger issue with the *%^^! wheels that won't roll) on bedroom subfloor (before new carpet...pulled out all nails and replaced with deck screws).

Next day, I am looking at living room ceiling and HOLY !!!!
(they only used nails...I went back and put fields of screws 1" off the nail heads, pulled nails out and filled).

When I remodeled the basement, the association contact told me to use adhesive and screws for ceilings. Stuff was cheap (case of liquid nails drywall adhesive big tubes). Since I was below grade, I did green sheets and screws.

Do it right the first time.
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee

That's the condo association not code. I used adhesive when I put up some drywall ceilings but I did it for sound proofing. You use this green sound proofing adhesive then put it all over the drywall and attach a second piece of drywall.

»www.greengluecompany.com/

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

egg crates are better and more pleasing to the eye.
Critsmcgee

Critsmcgee

said by AVD:

egg crates are better and more pleasing to the eye.

Not to the wife or to resale value though.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

The first drywall quote came in at $3,000 and I estimated it will cost me $1,000 to do it myself in materials. Not sure what way I want to go. I guess maybe a second quote first to see what the ballpark is on price.

stev32k
Premium Member
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL

stev32k to Draiman

Premium Member

to Draiman
I just looked at this thread and am I right that the total square footage is about 787 and the price is about $74/sq ft?
Critsmcgee

Critsmcgee

said by stev32k:

I just looked at this thread and am I right that the total square footage is about 787 and the price is about $74/sq ft?

You're not thinking 3D. The ceiling is around 500 sq. ft. by itself. Add the walls, stairs, hallway, etc. and I bet it's more like 2,000 sq. ft. worth of drywall. That puts it around $1.50/sq. ft. which is about average.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to stev32k

Premium Member

to stev32k
said by stev32k:

$3000/747=$74? You need schooling!

natedj
Elected
Premium Member
join:2001-06-06
Irmo, SC

natedj

Premium Member

said by Msradell:

said by stev32k:

I think he's referring to the cost to build the entire garage and not the drywall work .... at least that's the only way his math makes sense.

stev32k
Premium Member
Mobile, AL

1 edit

stev32k

Premium Member

said by natedj:

said by Msradell:

said by stev32k:

I think he's referring to the cost to build the entire garage and not the drywall work .... at least that's the only way his math makes sense.

Yes, I was referring to the total cost of the garage. If I read the overall dimensions correctly on the drawing in the first post it said the garage is 27'-2" X 28'-2" (or 23' not sure) the total area under roof is about 787 Sq feet and the total cost $59,000. That makes it $74/sq ft. That seems kind of high even considering there are two floors. But maybe building costs are that much higher in the NE.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by stev32k:

Yes, I was referring the the total cost of the garage. If I read the overall dimensions correctly on the drawing in the first post it said the garage is 27'-2" X 28'-2" (or 23' not sure) the total area under roof is about 787 Sq feet and the total cost $59,000. That makes it $74/sq ft. That seems kind of high even considering there are two floors. But maybe building costs are that much higher in the NE.

The Boston area is about 200% higher cost of living then Mobile, AL so if $50/sq. ft. is average in your area then $150/sq. ft. is the same here. Typically new construction runs around $150/sq. ft. here but I cut lots of corners, paid vendors cash for discounts, did some work myself, etc. to get it down as much as I could.

stev32k
Premium Member
Mobile, AL

stev32k

Premium Member

That's pretty amazing. I knew the building costs were higher, but didn't realize they were that much higher. My brother-in-law just had a 3-car, 30' X 35' garage built. It is brick veneer, finished inside, but not insulated and does not have storage space above. His total cost was a little under $35,000 or about $33/ sq ft.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

Here's a great quote I ran into during this project.

"Pricing a house/addition by the square foot is like pricing a car by the pound. A Ford and a Mercedes probably weigh about same, but they sure don't cost the same to build."

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by Draiman:

Here's a great quote I ran into during this project.

"Pricing a house/addition by the square foot is like pricing a car by the pound. A Ford and a Mercedes probably weigh about same, but they sure don't cost the same to build."

unfortunately, real estate costs are based on SF and # of rooms more than anything else.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

1 edit

Draiman

All said and done the cost will be around $80,000. It will add around 625 sq. ft. to the GLA of the house. A garage bay is worth $5,000 to $7,000 per the appraisal. The sale price per sq. ft. is about $125 here right now so the new area will be worth around $78,125 then add $10,000 for the 2 garage bays and it should be worth $88,125 this year. As the property values go up it will increase in value. The build price would be $80,000 minus $10,000 for the 2 garage bays then $70,000 divided by 625 or $112/sq. ft. for the new GLA.

From a raw sq. ft. point it's a 27' x 28' 2-story so that's 1,512 sq. ft. for the new structure or $52.91/sq. ft. for build cost. Really 280 sq. ft. of that is attic so only 1,232 is use able space which would make the price $64.94/sq. ft. for usable space. The average price to build in 2012 was $79.67/sq. ft. per the National Association of Home Builders for some perspective.
Draiman

Draiman

I saved somewhere in the $10,000 ballpark on the project. The contractor I used was about $20,000 under the others as well so the garage should have been a loss to build for a long time but because I played my cards right it will stay in the black.
Draiman

Draiman to stev32k

to stev32k
said by stev32k:

That's pretty amazing. I knew the building costs were higher, but didn't realize they were that much higher. My brother-in-law just had a 3-car, 30' X 35' garage built. It is brick veneer, finished inside, but not insulated and does not have storage space above. His total cost was a little under $35,000 or about $33/ sq ft.

Sooooo many factors go into new construction you can't compare them without it all. Foundation is a huge one. Most people can just have a slab poured and the foundation might run $3,000-5,000. Others like myself have a major slope to deal with so that same foundation is $25,000. Most people just use OSB sheathing and 2x4 framing but I used plywood and 2x6. A normal unconditioned garage might only need cheap windows but mine has energy star rated windows. With no room above the garage you don't need a firewall, stairs, etc. either. Different towns/states have different requirements on building. Most don't need a certified plot plan but mine did so add $1,500 right there. Most don't need a engineering stamp either so add another $1,500 there. Mine had demo costs to remove the old garage and dispose of the waste for $3,200. A new garage doesn't have that. My garage has 2 fire doors and 2 external doors. Most garages don't have that either. My garage has a 60amp subpanel and again most garages don't have that either. It's hard to compare your brother-in-law's garage to anyone else's without all the info.

stev32k
Premium Member
Mobile, AL

1 recommendation

stev32k

Premium Member

You are right that construction costs cannot be compared except on an apples to apples basis. And it appears you have much more than just a place to keep your cars out of the weather and store the lawn mower.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

Does anyone know about a garage exhaust system? I was looking at something like this.
»burcam.com/files/Web/Ins ··· 0350.pdf

That would help the humidity as well as remove carbon monoxide. The other option is just get a cheap wall fan and leave it on low 24/7/365.
»www.amazon.com/Broan-512 ··· l+garage
Draiman

Draiman

Wow no one knows anything about garage exhaust fans?

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

said by Draiman:

Wow no one knows anything about garage exhaust fans?

In another life when I worked as an auto tech in a small shop, we would just use a flexible hose, one end of which was shoved on the exhaust while the other end was put through a hole in the overhead door. It was cheap & reliable.