uniqs
share rss forum feed

join:2013-03-04
North Reading, MA
reply to mattmag

Re: Garage addition

said by mattmag:

Identity Crisis??

Nope been around since 2002. I like to mix it up once or twice a year. Same stuff gets old and I don't see how you guys do it! Variety is the spice of life. That or I'm very very very good with Photoshop and I made that picture just to hijack the thread.
--
"Everyone has his day and some days last longer than others." - Winston Churchill

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

2 recommendations

reply to 35245635
said by 35245635:

Great project!

Changing your ID is one thing, but complimenting yourself is an entirely different situation...

bryank

join:2000-03-23
Plainfield, IL
said by mattmag:

said by 35245635:

Great project!

Changing your ID is one thing, but complimenting yourself is an entirely different situation...

He was complimenting the poster above his comment on the heating system.

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

said by bryank:

The poster above him.. IS him. In other words draiman is the same person as elminster. He's a serial name changer/account deleter.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
said by pike:

said by bryank:

The poster above him.. IS him. In other words draiman is the same person as elminster. He's a serial name changer/account deleter.

LOL! I missed that, too. Wow...

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
Maybe he has days-of-the-week username undies...
Expand your moderator at work

North Reading, MA
reply to mattmag

said by mattmag:

said by 35245635:

Great project!

I wanted to add the thread to my follow list. Nothing more. So without further ado let's post a summary recap of the project!
--
"Everyone has his day and some days last longer than others." - Winston Churchill

North Reading, MA

4 edits
reply to Draiman
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Summary Recap - 1

North Reading, MA

4 edits
reply to Draiman
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Summary Recap - 2

North Reading, MA

4 edits
reply to Draiman
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Summary Recap - 3

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to Draiman
thanks for the recap..

the framing and all the other work done on the attic will be my guide when I build mine in the future.

North Reading, MA

2 edits
said by medbuyer:

thanks for the recap..

the framing and all the other work done on the attic will be my guide when I build mine in the future.

Soon as I get the insulation installed that will clear the room up and I'll take a nice set of pictures that shows the insulation and electrical.

For electrical here's the write up on what was done:
4 - outlets on the left wall
4 - outlets on the right wall
2 - outlets on the back wall
3 - outlets on the front wall
1 - low voltage outlet for coaxial cable (TV) on the front wall
1 - outlet in the ceiling (billard table light or HD projector maybe)
3 - lights in the ceiling
1 - smoke/co detector in the ceiling
1 - 14/3 wired reinforced box made for a ceiling fan and wired to a switch for future use in the ceiling (14/3 so light and fan could be controlled separately if needed)

The top floor of the garage is all on it's own 15 amp circuit minus the smoke/co detector which is off the downstairs and hallway lighting circuit. I'm going to have the electrician add one more 15 amp circuit and run an outlet to it on the back wall just for an A/C unit or electric heater. Eventually I'm thinking I'll have a mini split installed in that area with a heat pump. I'm sure it's overkill on electrical but I'm trying to future proof it as much as possible. I'm still debating if I want to run a few network cables or just leave it as a wireless area since it works perfectly. I could add the network cables later though since the crawlspace on both sides is open.
--

Moorecards

join:2001-10-19
Martinsburg, WV

2 recommendations

reply to Draiman
This thread has been one of the best/interesting one I have seen since I started coming here in 2001 ..

North Reading, MA
said by Moorecards:

This thread has been one of the best/interesting one I have seen since I started coming here in 2001 ..

It's got all the makings of a great sitcom from drama to content to humor to fights and much much more. You can learn stuff or just get entertained all in the same place. Not my intent when the thread was started but it turned into one heck of a thread for sure.
--

North Reading, MA
reply to Draiman
I ran a 'home run' coax cable to the garage last night. I have to finish it up tonight but that's the last of the wiring. I decided to skip network cable for now. That can be added at a later time if needed.
--

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
said by 35245635:

I ran a 'home run' coax cable to the garage last night. I have to finish it up tonight but that's the last of the wiring. I decided to skip network cable for now. That can be added at a later time if needed.

I received one of these »www.quicksmart.com/qs_etherrain.html last Christmas, so I'm going to have to run Ethernet to the garage. Looks like it'll be a cool device that could help save water (and the lawn).

North Reading, MA
said by garys_2k:

said by 35245635:

I received one of these »www.quicksmart.com/qs_etherrain.html last Christmas, so I'm going to have to run Ethernet to the garage. Looks like it'll be a cool device that could help save water (and the lawn).

That's pretty sweet. No sprinkler system "yet" but good info for when I do finally get one installed.
--

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to garys_2k
said by garys_2k:

I received one of these »www.quicksmart.com/qs_etherrain.html last Christmas, so I'm going to have to run Ethernet to the garage.

I replaced my sprinkler controller with a similar device: rain8pro . Instead of ethernet, this one is serial port controlled but it also has the added convenience of manual operation through push buttons for each zone.

I installed a pair of powerline ethernet adapters (netgear 85mbps) to temporarily get ethernet to the garage but it has worked so well that years later the temporary solution is still in place.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to medbuyer
said by medbuyer:

thanks for the recap..

don't forget the foundation too.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

North Reading, MA
said by AVD:

said by medbuyer:

thanks for the recap..

I still have nightmares over the foundation. *cry*
--

medbuyer

reply to AVD
said by AVD:

said by medbuyer:

thanks for the recap..

the attic I am referring to is actually a bonus room that's on top of our 2 car garage since we have a 1.5 story house. so no worries about the foundation....

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
said by medbuyer:

the attic I am referring to is actually a bonus room that's on top of our 2 car garage since we have a 1.5 story house. so no worries about the foundation....

Just because there is an existing foundation doesn't mean that it would not be a concern.

I know people that had to cancel or scale back their dreams of a 2nd floor expansion because the original foundation was insufficient to support it under current building codes.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

medbuyer

said by leibold:

said by medbuyer:

Just because there is an existing foundation doesn't mean that it would not be a concern.

I know people that had to cancel or scale back their dreams of a 2nd floor expansion because the original foundation was insufficient to support it under current building codes.

the plans for our house model called for that bonus room....and it was approved by the city inspector...

It was the owner's / buyer decision to have it finished or not for an additional amount which was way too much....but then again in hindsight, it wouldn't have been that bad since it will be included in the mortgage...

on the upside, I can customize it accdg. to my man cave specs..

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
reply to garys_2k
said by garys_2k:

There are other options besides extending your ethernet network. If you have an existing wifi network, you can get a cheap bridge for $20 if you shop around. Some people even have extra wifi routers laying around after switching ISPs (check with your friends and neighbors), you can also use one of these as a bridge. There's also ethernet over power line.

North Reading, MA
reply to Draiman
I tested the coax last night by moving a TV and cable box up there. The good news is it works. The bad news is I was unproductive after the TV went on. I have to remove the TV and cable box tonight.
--

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to 35245635

said by 35245635:

I tested the coax last night by moving a TV and cable box up there. The good news is it works. The bad news is I was unproductive after the TV went on. I have to remove the TV and cable box tonight.

Good idea!