share rss forum feed

join:2013-03-04
North Reading, MA
reply to AVD

Re: Garage addition

said by AVD:

said by medbuyer:

thanks for the recap..

the framing and all the other work done on the attic will be my guide when I build mine in the future.

don't forget the foundation too.

I still have nightmares over the foundation. *cry*
--
"Everyone has his day and some days last longer than others." - Winston Churchill

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to AVD

said by AVD:

said by medbuyer:

thanks for the recap..

the framing and all the other work done on the attic will be my guide when I build mine in the future.

don't forget the foundation too.

the attic I am referring to is actually a bonus room that's on top of our 2 car garage since we have a 1.5 story house. so no worries about the foundation....

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:9
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

said by medbuyer:

the attic I am referring to is actually a bonus room that's on top of our 2 car garage since we have a 1.5 story house. so no worries about the foundation....

Just because there is an existing foundation doesn't mean that it would not be a concern.

I know people that had to cancel or scale back their dreams of a 2nd floor expansion because the original foundation was insufficient to support it under current building codes.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4

said by leibold:

said by medbuyer:

Just because there is an existing foundation doesn't mean that it would not be a concern.

I know people that had to cancel or scale back their dreams of a 2nd floor expansion because the original foundation was insufficient to support it under current building codes.

the plans for our house model called for that bonus room....and it was approved by the city inspector...

It was the owner's / buyer decision to have it finished or not for an additional amount which was way too much....but then again in hindsight, it wouldn't have been that bad since it will be included in the mortgage...

on the upside, I can customize it accdg. to my man cave specs..

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
reply to garys_2k

said by garys_2k:

I received one of these »www.quicksmart.com/qs_etherrain.html last Christmas, so I'm going to have to run Ethernet to the garage. Looks like it'll be a cool device that could help save water (and the lawn).

There are other options besides extending your ethernet network. If you have an existing wifi network, you can get a cheap bridge for $20 if you shop around. Some people even have extra wifi routers laying around after switching ISPs (check with your friends and neighbors), you can also use one of these as a bridge. There's also ethernet over power line.

join:2013-03-04
North Reading, MA
reply to Draiman

I tested the coax last night by moving a TV and cable box up there. The good news is it works. The bad news is I was unproductive after the TV went on. I have to remove the TV and cable box tonight.
--
"Everyone has his day and some days last longer than others." - Winston Churchill

Expand your moderator at work

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to 35245635

said by 35245635:

I tested the coax last night by moving a TV and cable box up there. The good news is it works. The bad news is I was unproductive after the TV went on. I have to remove the TV and cable box tonight.

Good idea!

join:2013-04-08
reply to Draiman

For the next few months I'll be walking you through the last of this garage project. The most recent improvement was 18 cans of spray foam used on the doors and windows.

Next up is insulation and/or vapor barriers. Also I'll be installing the hallway heater sometime in the next week. The BI will be out to inspect the insulation after it's done then we'll have the drywall people come in and finish up the place. Last will be oak risers and treads on the stairs. That will conclude the project for now. At a later point we'll do the upstairs floor with carpet then carpet & tile in the hallway. Also at a later point we'll have a mini split unit with heat pump installed in the room above the garage. That should handle all the heating/cooling stuff with the help of a room heater as needed.

Thanks for reading. Hopefully all the fun elements will continue in the thread until it's wrapped up later this year. Happy Patriots' Day!

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

said by 28727686:

Happy Patriots' Day!

I guess you're not from Boston . . .

--
April is National Autism Awareness Month

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to Coma

said by Coma:

said by 28727686:

Happy Patriots' Day!

I guess you're not from Boston . . .

No idea what your trying to do but knock it off. Over 140 people were hurt and 3 killed in Boston yesterday.

reply to Draiman

I installed a 1,600 watt 240 volt wall heater in the hallway yesterday. I intended to post some pictures of it today but I forgot to upload them before I left for work. I'll post them tomorrow. It's nothing special just one of these.

»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R···Id=10053

Moorecards

join:2001-10-19
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL

said by 28727686:

I installed a 1,600 watt 240 volt wall heater in the hallway yesterday. I intended to post some pictures of it today but I forgot to upload them before I left for work. I'll post them tomorrow. It's nothing special just one of these.

Have you ever seen these .... »www.eheat.us/
I got one and it works really well

said by Moorecards:

said by 28727686:

I never heard of those but they look great. Thanks for the info. I'll have to see if I installed like 3-4 of those if they could be hooked to a single thermostat. I'd imagine they could so that's a viable option to heat the room above the garage. I picked up a 13,000 BTU portable air conditioner with 12,000 BTU heat pump for now to handle the room above the garage as a temporary measure. I couldn't pass up a new unit of this size/type for $340.

1 edit
reply to Draiman

Here's some updated pictures.

reply to Draiman

Click for full size
It's slowly getting there. Over the week-end I got most of the ceiling done.

Moorecards

join:2001-10-19
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to 28727686

said by 28727686:

said by Moorecards:

said by 28727686:

I never heard of those but they look great. Thanks for the info. I'll have to see if I installed like 3-4 of those if they could be hooked to a single thermostat. I'd imagine they could so that's a viable option to heat the room above the garage. I picked up a 13,000 BTU portable air conditioner with 12,000 BTU heat pump for now to handle the room above the garage as a temporary measure. I couldn't pass up a new unit of this size/type for $340.

They have a thermostat on their page that says it can contol up to 3 of them. They can be hardwired.

I just have a single one with a plug for bedroom.

reply to Draiman

Click for full size
Click for full size
I'm done with the insulation upstairs. The last part is a 6 mil vapor barrier on the ceiling. I have the stairs, hallway, and garage left to go. I'm down to about 12 rolls of insulation to install out of like 97 rolls.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

You can get a lot more done if you aren't watching TV.

sparks

join:2001-07-08
Little Rock, AR

looks awesome.
Did you get any idea of the cost up to now?

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:9
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

reply to 28727686

In that last picture, why does the wall between the windows and around the power outlets look so dark? It almost looks like fire/smoke damage but this is all new construction, correct ?
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!