spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

join:2013-04-08
reply to Draiman

Re: Garage addition

I installed a 1,600 watt 240 volt wall heater in the hallway yesterday. I intended to post some pictures of it today but I forgot to upload them before I left for work. I'll post them tomorrow. It's nothing special just one of these.

»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R···Id=10053

Moorecards

join:2001-10-19
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL

said by 28727686:

I installed a 1,600 watt 240 volt wall heater in the hallway yesterday. I intended to post some pictures of it today but I forgot to upload them before I left for work. I'll post them tomorrow. It's nothing special just one of these.

Have you ever seen these .... »www.eheat.us/
I got one and it works really well

said by Moorecards:

said by 28727686:

I never heard of those but they look great. Thanks for the info. I'll have to see if I installed like 3-4 of those if they could be hooked to a single thermostat. I'd imagine they could so that's a viable option to heat the room above the garage. I picked up a 13,000 BTU portable air conditioner with 12,000 BTU heat pump for now to handle the room above the garage as a temporary measure. I couldn't pass up a new unit of this size/type for $340.

1 edit
reply to Draiman

Here's some updated pictures.

reply to Draiman

Click for full size
It's slowly getting there. Over the week-end I got most of the ceiling done.

Moorecards

join:2001-10-19
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to 28727686

said by 28727686:

said by Moorecards:

said by 28727686:

I never heard of those but they look great. Thanks for the info. I'll have to see if I installed like 3-4 of those if they could be hooked to a single thermostat. I'd imagine they could so that's a viable option to heat the room above the garage. I picked up a 13,000 BTU portable air conditioner with 12,000 BTU heat pump for now to handle the room above the garage as a temporary measure. I couldn't pass up a new unit of this size/type for $340.

They have a thermostat on their page that says it can contol up to 3 of them. They can be hardwired.

I just have a single one with a plug for bedroom.

reply to Draiman

Click for full size
Click for full size
I'm done with the insulation upstairs. The last part is a 6 mil vapor barrier on the ceiling. I have the stairs, hallway, and garage left to go. I'm down to about 12 rolls of insulation to install out of like 97 rolls.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

You can get a lot more done if you aren't watching TV.

sparks

join:2001-07-08
Little Rock, AR

looks awesome.
Did you get any idea of the cost up to now?

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:9
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

reply to 28727686

In that last picture, why does the wall between the windows and around the power outlets look so dark? It almost looks like fire/smoke damage but this is all new construction, correct ?
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

reply to ropeguru

said by ropeguru:

You can get a lot more done if you aren't watching TV.

Where is the fun in that?

1 recommendation

reply to Draiman

said by sparks:

looks awesome.
Did you get any idea of the cost up to now?

I have all the costs recorded I just haven't totalled them up since the garage had its' final inspection last November. All said and done it will be around $80,000 for everything minus permanent heating/cooling. Eventually I'll have a mini-split installed and that will be another $3,000. I want to have the garage floor done as well which will be another $2,000 so the cost will go up to about $85,000 when it's done the way I want it.

said by leibold:

In that last picture, why does the wall between the windows and around the power outlets look so dark? It almost looks like fire/smoke damage but this is all new construction, correct ?

That's just bleed through from the tar on the vapor barrier. A few rolls of insulation had that and you can see it on the angled ceiling in the same picture and other pictures like the octagon window and other pictures of the angled ceiling. There's nothing wrong with it at all.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:5
reply to Draiman

When you hanging the rock?

reply to Draiman

Click for full size
I went back and updated my cost spreadsheet. This is where I plan to be when the garage is 100% done the way I want. By the end of 2013 we should have around $77,000 into the garage. In 2014 and 2015 we might do like $2,500-3,000 per year so the project won't be done the way I want it until 2016-2018. There's really no rush on some of the stuff like epoxy floors or mini-split a/c. As soon as the drywall is done in June here I'm going to move a 42" HD TV into the room along with all the gym equipment from the basement so it will be used as storage/gym for now.

reply to John Galt

said by John Galt:

When you hanging the rock?

Not positive yet but sometime this week or next week or the following week. The tentative plan is drywall the upstairs this week since it's ready then do the hallway and garage next week or the following week since there are 10 rolls of insulation left to install there.

reply to Draiman

The BI was out yesterday to inspect the insulation. He strikes again! He wants 1" foam board behind the knee walls and on the sloped ceiling. The good news is he said he trusts me so I can have the drywall done as soon as that's done and he won't come back to reinspect the insulation. He also said aside from a little low r-values (in his opinion) on the knee walls and slopes he said it's the best insulation job he's ever seen and went on to say he's never seen someone use Tyvek tape to air seal insulation before but that was fantastic. It looks like another $500 and 2-3 days of work then drywall.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

Hmm, sounds like, in other words, "Great job, looks wonderful, now just tear it all out, add more and do it over again."

said by garys_2k:

Hmm, sounds like, in other words, "Great job, looks wonderful, now just tear it all out, add more and do it over again."

No tearing anything down or redoing it. Just adding more to it. On the knee walls it screws behind the existing insulation. On the slopes it screws over top of the existing insulation. I'm sure once it's done the pictures will make it clear.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

Ah, that does sound easy, good!

reply to Draiman

Click for full size
Here's how it looks so far.

reply to garys_2k

said by garys_2k:

Ah, that does sound easy, good!

Yea it's not that hard just more time to do and $468.28 extra. I just want to get it done so it's useable. Everything else can be done a few years down the road.

reply to Draiman

I took Friday and Monday off to work on the garage. Here's the progress.

reply to Draiman

Click for full size
Click for full size
And here's how it looks now. Ready for baseboards, trim, paint, and carpet but finally useable!

I'll be removing the temp treads on the stairs at the end of the month and installing red oak risers and treads. I'll re-install the handrail at the same time.

reply to Draiman

Click for full size
The hallway is finished up on drywall. Next week the drywall in the garage will be done and that will be all the drywall work. Next week I'll be working on the stairs as well.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to Draiman

Why don't the things on the ceiling line up?

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

said by John Galt:

. . . with the window !

--
June is National Gay Pride Month

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to John Galt

said by John Galt:

Why would you want stuff to line up? That's OCD!

Seriously from what I can see they do line up but perspective is a $%#^ in pictures.
--
"Trust Me I'm The Doctor!" -Doctor Who

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to John Galt

And why is the light in the staircase not centered?

Expand your moderator at work

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to Critsmcgee

Re: Garage addition

said by Critsmcgee:

Why would you want stuff to line up? That's OCD!

You always pull a string line when doing boxing or setting rough-in housings for ceiling fixtures in a row.

Carpenters really don't spend the time to make sure the collar ties are installed dead-nuts on. For most purposes they don't have to be. Most people measure from the framing, thinking that is sufficient. When the sheetrock is installed, even small errors off of the visual centerline are highly noticeable.

OCD and a stringline...a good thing in construction from, well, way back when.
--
Many believe, but few will question...I decline to be blind.