Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn to MIXZ1

Premium Member

to MIXZ1

Re: Facebook pushes security tips to all its users

said by MIXZ1:

And right there on that page, www.facebook.com/about/security, they ask you for your mobile number.

They ask you to confirm it. You don't have to confirm or give Facebook you phone number. It is not mandatory.

There are a zillion other sites out there who offer a means to recover or reset your password without divulging your mobile number.I

Facebook is one of them.
»www.facebook.com/help/id ··· =recover

It's as transparent as their offering their mobile app via a download to your mobile number. They want that phone number.

Duh, mobile phone.... of course they want the number if you want to use the app. sort of makes sense to me. Don't want to give your number? Don't use the app.
MIXZ1
join:2001-01-02
Florida

MIXZ1

You're missing the point. Yes, you can navigate around providing your phone number, but the average user doesn't "navigate". They click what they're presented with.

As to "Duh, mobile phone"; providing the phone number to download the app, I don't recall providing my phone number to download any app from an app store. Let FB mount their downloads as downloads, not pushes to a phone number. I connect with another FB front end via WiFi on my phone. The number has nothing to do with it.

It is undeniable that FB is harvesting cell numbers.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

1 edit

chrisretusn

Premium Member

Navigate around providing a phone number? I don't recall ever being asked to provide one with Facebook. Google on the other hand yes, yet they provide a link to skip giving them the number. Not a big deal...

As for mobile phone and providing a number, you could be right, it just that you are using you phone so it just makes sense to me. I will have to test this out with my wife's iPhone in the morning, if I remember. At any rate, you don't have to use the app. I will ask my daughter too in the morning if she had to give a phone number to install on her iPad2 WiFi.

Numbers are not really being harvested if you willingly give it to them.
chrisretusn

1 edit

chrisretusn to MIXZ1

Premium Member

to MIXZ1
said by MIXZ1:

As to "Duh, mobile phone"; providing the phone number to download the app, I don't recall providing my phone number to download any app from an app store. Let FB mount their downloads as downloads, not pushes to a phone number. I connect with another FB front end via WiFi on my phone. The number has nothing to do with it.

said by chrisretusn:

As for mobile phone and providing a number, you could be right, it just that you are using you phone so it just makes sense to me. I will have to test this out with my wife's iPhone in the morning, if I remember. At any rate, you don't have to use the app. I will ask my daughter too in the morning if she had to give a phone number to install on her iPad2 WiFi.

Well I remembered.

I was wrong to assume that a phone number was a given I don't own a smart phone so should have left that alone until I verified it. Well now that I have verified it. Facebook does not required you to give them a mobile number when installing their Facebook app. I installed the Facebook app on my wife's iPhone, no number was asked for to install it. Same for my daughter, was not asked for a number to install the Facebook App.

It also looks like your assumption that you cannot install Facebook apps unless you give your mobile number.was wrong too.
said by MIXZ1:

It is undeniable that FB is harvesting cell numbers.

Based on simple experience, I'd say it is deniable.