MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Kardinal

MVM

to Kardinal

Re: [Weather] Serious Heat Wave

said by Kardinal:

I'd be putting in a claim for a rent reduction / condo fee reduction for every month that it is off and you'd like to be using it if I were in your place, as you rented/bought based on the building being air conditioned and it isn't. I hope it gets re-enabled soon.

I checked my lease, there's unfortunately no mention of AC in it, so I'm not sure I can do much. I went down this morning and complained that it was a health hazard; it was 38 with humidex in my apartment last night, and it's going to get several degrees warmer later this week... I might buy a portable AC to use for a few weeks before selling it to a friend who is looking to buy one.
said by Kardinal:

How about a redneck air conditioner for a few days? You could use a few bags of ice, put in zip lock bags to avoid even more moisture in the air, and that way you aren't creating a ton of heat by having your fridge work overtime to freeze the contents of the cooler.

One of my friends actually built one of those once... Unfortunately, I don't have the requisite parts, like tubing or a pump, although I could buy them I'm sure.

kids eh
@videotron.ca

kids eh

Anon

My wife had to turn on her heating blanket last night. She said she was too cold. I find 22 not too cold.

Guspaz, tough it out. You are young. It builds character.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

I checked my lease, there's unfortunately no mention of AC in it, so I'm not sure I can do much. I went down this morning and complained that it was a health hazard; it was 38 with humidex in my apartment last night, and it's going to get several degrees warmer later this week... I might buy a portable AC to use for a few weeks before selling it to a friend who is looking to buy one.

Is it an AC built into your apartment (like into the wall or one of those ones built into the floor under the window) that has been disabled? I don't know about Quebec law, but under Ontario law an apartment must be maintained by the landlord and in good repair. A disabled air conditioner that is a permanent fixture of the apartment (e.g. can't be removed) very well could fall under that. If it were me, I'd be making phone calls.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to kids eh

MVM

to kids eh
I've been toughing it out, but when it gets around 40ish and my job performance is impacted by sleep deprivation and I have to start worrying about heat exhaustion in my own apartment, things have gone too far.

There is something wrong with my apartment. The first two years that I lived here, I had no AC, and it never got this bad. Since then, they've done a bunch of reno, probably improved the insulation a ton, and now it's MUCH hotter in my apartment inside than outside. There are times when it is 15 outside, and 27 inside, even though my bloody window is open. I'd open the door, but along with disabling my AC, they've barricaded my door.
Guspaz

Guspaz to kids eh

MVM

to kids eh
said by kids eh :

My wife had to turn on her heating blanket last night. She said she was too cold. I find 22 not too cold.

Guspaz, tough it out. You are young. It builds character.

22? Try 38. That was the humidex in my apartment last night.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

II'd open the door, but along with disabling my AC, they've barricaded my door.

What? Barricaded your door? To where does that lead, outside?

Isn't that illegal if it doubles as a secondary exit from the premises?

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Yeah, something doesn't smell right about that whole situation.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by Guspaz:

II'd open the door, but along with disabling my AC, they've barricaded my door.

What? Barricaded your door? To where does that lead, outside?

Isn't that illegal if it doubles as a secondary exit from the premises?

That would probably be in preparation of work on the balconies.

Kids eh
@videotron.ca

Kids eh to Guspaz

Anon

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

I've been toughing it out, but when it gets around 40ish and my job performance is impacted by sleep deprivation and I have to start worrying about heat exhaustion in my own apartment, things have gone too far.

You brought back some very nice memories of when I lived in Montreal.

When I was in my twenties living in an apartment, same like you, I had bought my own A/C.

On days like this when it was so hot you just couldn't sleep at night, and you sweated uncomfortably in your bed, I would walk into work all refreshed. People were bitching and complaining.

I would say I have no issue. My A/C worked fine.

Then all of a sudden a few of the single women actually asked if they could sleep at my place. Then I would test the waters with other women when they were complaining and said, "feel free to stay at my place".

Now It didn't take long for me to realize how used I was. But damn! 20-something, a day like today, hot sweaty women.

I got some action a few time just cuz I had an A/C.

So from an old miserable grouch like me, to a young stud like you... here is some advice: Go get an A/C and work that angle. Bet you get some action by Friday night.

That's my free advice for today. 99-cents any other day.

Not kidding either...
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

There is something wrong with my apartment. The first two years that I lived here, I had no AC, and it never got this bad. Since then, they've done a bunch of reno, probably improved the insulation a ton, and now it's MUCH hotter in my apartment inside than outside. There are times when it is 15 outside, and 27 inside, even though my bloody window is open. I'd open the door, but along with disabling my AC, they've barricaded my door.

so in the event if there was a fire, where is your emergency exit from your suite?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

said by jaberi:

so in the event if there was a fire, where is your emergency exit from your suite?

There are emergency stairwells on either end of the building's main corridor. The balcony was never an escape path, this is a highrise, highrises don't have exterior escape paths.

I realized that my thermometer's humidity measurement thing doesn't work (the fact that it hasn't changed from ~55% for the better part of a year should have been a hint), so I was calculating humidex wrong. I instead recalculated with the weather network's reported humidity last night:

Apartment temperature (air): 32 degrees celcius
Reported relative humidity: 70%
Temperature with humidex: 45 degrees celcius

I believe that is in the "dangerous" range by most counts. The good news is that a friend is dropping off a portable air conditioner tonight. This should keep me going until the building management turns the AC back on. It was a bit better when I left for work this morning, only 42.

I really should be complaining to the regie des logements, but I'm swamped with work both professionally and personally (not that I get much done when I'm in my apartment).