join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to RR Conductor

to RR Conductor

Re: WHY???

said by RR Conductor:

said by 88615298:

said by fibergirl:

Seriously why would att want to offer LTE in the WCS band? at such a high frequency with limited coverage and building penetration? Whats the real reason they want this band?

A) They've already PAID for this spectrum. I supposed they would like to get some ROI on it.

B)They could offer a service like Verizon's HomeFusion which uses an antenna OUTSIDE the home so building penetration is not a issue. Also heck I can get Wi-Fi which uses 2.4 GHz from one building to another so why would 2.3 GHz have more issues? it should have slightly less.

The mountains, trees and canyons in areas like ours though would be a HUGE obstacle to 2.3 Ghz. I mean, 1900 does okay (AT&T, T-Mobile and Metro PCS all use 100% 1900 here, Verizon uses 1900 only for EVDO, and 850 for 1X, and USCC uses 850 only) but 2.3 would take even more sites, that'd be an expensive proposition. You'd need some pretty serious line of sight, and that's a VERY difficult thing to get in a lot of places.

Not everywhere has mountain, trees etc. Some areas are pretty flat. Just because 2.3 GHz would be impractical in SOME areas doens't mean in can't be used in ANY areas.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

said by 88615298:

Not everywhere has mountain, trees etc. Some areas are pretty flat. Just because 2.3 GHz would be impractical in SOME areas doens't mean in can't be used in ANY areas.

True, which is why I said in areas like mine. In the valleys here, like Ukiah, Willits, and over in the San Joaquin and Sacramento Valley's it'd be awesome.