spc
Search similar:

uniqs
utahluge
join:2004-10-14
Draper, UT

utahluge

What Makes the BiQuad Polarization

I am curious what makes the biquad antenna horizontal/vertical polarization. The radiating elements are in a square at 45* angles. I am trying to wrap my head around this so any help would be nice. Thanks.
russotto
join:2000-10-05
West Orange, NJ

russotto

It's the way the feed attaches, I believe. You're connecting the central point to a varying voltage and the point directly below it (in the vertically polarized case) to ground, which gives you a vertical electric field.

eibgrad
join:2010-03-15
united state

eibgrad to utahluge

to utahluge
I personally believe it's just magic.
utahluge
join:2004-10-14
Draper, UT

utahluge

said by eibgrad:

I personally believe it's just magic.

Probably is. ha A lot about antenna radiation is not understood.
"Magic is just science we dont understand yet."
- Arthur C. Clarke

russotto; could you clarify the part about varying voltage?

To me it seems the square would create an effect where the radiation from the 'top right' would come in contact from the 'top left' to move the signal and push each other along. Its almost like it has the same effect as the picture uploaded where the antenna is in an H shape. I think I may experiment with signal strength of the BiQuad vs H. My mind is telling me that because the H has a more true vertical shape the signal would be better. Any thoughts?
utahluge

utahluge to russotto

to russotto
(H/V = horizontal/vertical)

I think this may shed some light. The slides talk about two antennas in H/V config creating a circular wave so I am not sure if the same applies to one antenna with bends in it. If this does apply to a bent antenna it would explain why it would give a better signal as most built-in antennas are hit or miss if they are H/V. Being at 45* off a true H/V may be just enough to catch the signal coming from an antenna in a true H/V setup as there is no true H or V radiation.

Resource:
First hit on google search of:
Satellite-Comms-Polarization.pdf
russotto
join:2000-10-05
West Orange, NJ

russotto

said by utahluge:

as most built-in antennas are hit or miss if they are H/V. Being at 45* off a true H/V may be just enough to catch the signal coming from an antenna in a true H/V setup as there is no true H or V radiation.

No, the standard biquad isn't circularly polarized, and a 45 degree polarization isn't the same as circular polarization.

What I meant about voltages is that the polarization direction is by definition the direction of the electric field. If you look at the biquad antenna, you can see that there must be a voltage gradient across the center of the antenna, hence that is the direction of the electric field at that point. This is because one side of the center is grounded (coax shield), and the other has the signal voltage applied to it (coax center).

It's not always that simple; as the document you found said, interaction of active elements and other factors can also affect the polarization. But the biquad is a pretty simple antenna with one active element and a flat ground plane, so it probably IS that simple in this case.

The circularly polarized biquad looks like this
+-----+    +-----+
      |    |     |
|     |    |     |
|     +-||-+     |
|     |    |     |
|     |    |
+-----+    |-----+
(feed is across the || in the center)

and if you know how that works, you're better at this than I am.

Your H-antenna would probably have a much lower impedance than a square loop, and thus wouldn't work very well. The biquad with reflector is nice because its impedance is naturally very close to 50 ohms, so you can use a coax feed with no extra hardware.