spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Truckinguy2

@myfairpoint.net

Why can't Fairpoint provide steady service?

Is it all providers that there is system crashes,slowdowns,etc.?
One week or month it works good. One week it doesn't. Does Cable do the same or any other system?
What are the issues? I'm curious. Is the system taxed with lot's of users?

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

Both DOCSIS Cable and DSL are capable of providing stable service. Reliability and customer satisfaction is largely a matter of how well the local network is designed, equipped, and maintained.

FairPoint is pretty spotty. Here in Milford service has been fine, a little better even then with Verizon. Other areas of New England have been horror stories.

/tom

chicken3

join:2003-02-24
Oakfield, ME
reply to Truckinguy2

I've had Fairpoint in Oakfield, ME for about 4 years now. They are incapable of providing what people pay for. They have about 35 customers connected to 5 T1 lines while selling 3mb/400k packages and claiming to be "better than cable because there is no shared bandwidth" on their website.

How they get away with such false advertisements I will never know, but rest assured you aren't the only one with problems, and Fairpoint is above and beyond in making sure they make all of their customers miserable without ever providing the service you pay for. They know most of us have no other choice, so it's either bend over and take it, or go without internet.

Truckinguy2

@myfairpoint.net
reply to Truckinguy2

I notice when I call and report they always say something that doesn't make sense. The way I figure it they are just doing something as to make it look like their doing something about it when knowing there is nothing they can do.
In other words they are "bullsh**ing me. I bet they have to report they did something about complaints or the State can cause problems for them.
Just there way of making me "Bend Over"

beer5

join:2012-04-06
reply to chicken3

How do you know they are overselling you? What is your reference.

There are other factors beyond the local provider that affect service quality.

xQim

join:2003-09-20
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Fairpoint Commun..
reply to Truckinguy2

They oversubscribe by 200% minimum. I had the 3Mbps/0.768Mbps package and my service was 500Kbps-1400Kbps/670Kbps with Latency from 120-200ms+ on a daily basis. After a month I switched to cable, RR Turbo to be exact. I was paying $69.99 for non-contractual service with Fairpoint and switched to $44.95 RR Turbo and received service well above advertised. After dropping Fairpoint, I went from 500-1400Kbps down to 30Mbps down and from 670Kbps up to 1.91Mbps up for $15 dollars less a month. I have recently downgraded to RR Lite for $29.99/month but get a constant 971Kbps/971Kbps, which I think is pretty good considering the package is 1Mbps/1Mbps. To answer you question: No, I have never had fluctuations ever in my experience with Road Runner. And they lied about the 88% mark regarding broadband to that percentage of people in the Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont. What they did was setup their server shack in the town and then claim that everyone in the town had the ability to acquire broadband. Wrong. It is distance limited and they got caught lying. Look it up and read.

Truckinguy2

@myfairpoint.net

I complained to NH Public Utilities and they contacted Fairpoint. I got a call from someone in Concord and she gave me a story about the computers having mixed up the signals,etc. She wanted to know if I had my 1.5 Mbps speed again and checked in with me 36 hours later. I had my 1.5 for that period. After she called I am here at lunch just 3 hrs later and lost the speed to 0.36. Go figure.
Like I said they are pulling fast ones over us and many are stuck with this crap. The government should demand them to get there act together somehow. It's to a point that Broadband (high speed) is a necessity in life as a phone is.
I'd like to switch to Wireless hotspot but they say it is too expensive still. No cable here so they have me but good.

again

@rr.com
reply to Truckinguy2

I could not take it anymore and switched, sorry, if you have no other options.

ajeff

join:2007-07-30
Orleans, VT
Reviews:
·Fairpoint Commun..
reply to Truckinguy2

FP brought internet to Westmore, VT about a year ago and it's been a pretty solid 15/1. Good enough for a Roku and VOIP with 20-30ms latency, no jitter or packet loss. Sure beats the alternative, Great Auk Wireless, which is a another horror story in itself. Any contact I have had with support both personally and professionally (I work IT) has been good to excellent. The only thing I've done to make things better is replace the Westell 7500 with an old Netgear DGN2200 bought on Ebay for $20 - made a big difference.
For those who love numbers:

Line Attenuation: 22.0/7.7
Noise Margin: 12.6/10.2

truckinguy

join:2010-10-18
Whitefield, NH
reply to Truckinguy2

We'll it's been awhile since this post but nothing has changed. I mostly get speeds of .56 or less for download. I'm paying for 1.5 mbps. I called last week and they did something and it worked at 1.4 a few hours then this whole past week or more as the previous week before calling them has speeds back to .56 .26 etc. worse at points.
I get tired of calling them and can't get any other service on my road.
Are they throttling me or putting a cap on me or my area? do they do this? It is hard to find inside info on this subject.

xQim

join:2003-09-20
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Fairpoint Commun..

2 edits
reply to Truckinguy2

I thought I described it factually and quite well. They oversubscribe and do not, repeat, do not ALLOCATE ENOUGH BANDWIDTH to the CO of which you are connected too and cap your speeds at slower then advertised. I have had unFairpoint several times, with only one time being a choice or I thought it was my only choice (stupid one obviously.) Out of all the times I have had unFairpoint I HAVE NEVER received even close to the advertised "up to" bandwidth. The last package I went with was the Basic, which at the time was $59.99/Month (Non-Contractual) with speeds of "up to" 3000Kbps/768Kbps. They really emphasize the "up to" and honour it quite well by not supplying you with the advertised speed. I did however once, with my 3000Kbps/768Kbps blaze out a 2600Kbps/690Kbps, granted it was 4AM so that goes to show you that they definitely cap speeds at lower than advertised to start. This one gets me too. For the same exact price their tiers have changed for the slower.

DSL Starter went from: 768Kbps/128Kbps to 354Kbps/256Kbps $34.95/Month

DSL Basic went from: 3000Kbps/768Kbps to 3000Kbps/512Kbps $44.95/Month
Less speed for more money? Makes unFairpoint logic and to top it off you probably won't even get the advertised speed of Starter.

I really hate Fairpoint and wish they would disappear. I have no idea how they compete with Roadrunner, GWI, or 3G Mobile Broadband if it is available. What is funny is GWI actually leases its lines from Fairpoint so get this. For $49.95 you can recieve GWI's highest DSL Package which is 20000Kbps/1000Kbps. So for five more dollar you can get 7X the speed, which of course will be higher since Fairpoint never honours their speeds.

In Maine, the best option(s) is Roadrunner or GWI. I would take Roadrunner as I have never had a problem and usually get above or at least what the advertised speed is. Maybe I'm just lucky, however, I doubt it.

I was just looking on their website and it has offered a new option of DSL Premium. With a 12-month contract you can get ripped off for $61.99 or without a contract get more ripped off for $71.99. This service is 7.1Mbps/1Mbps which I doubt you would even see half of. May I remind you that I paid $44.95/Month (No Contract) for RR Turbo of which was always 26-35Mbps/2Mbps. Which would you chose again? Go out of business already unFairpoint.

Truckinguy2

@myfairpoint.net

A tech came here yesterday. He said there isn't any cap's or allowances.Also when I have two pc's on a line the speed get's cut in half. I guess I can't win. I wish they'd go away too.
How can I get Road Runner or any other service on the phone line? No cable lines here. I do get cell but I assume it's very expensive.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

said by Truckinguy2 :

He said there isn't any cap's or allowances.

That is true - as far as I know FairPoint does impose any sort of monthly cap.

said by Truckinguy2 :

Also when I have two pc's on a line the speed get's cut in half. I guess I can't win.

Multiple PCs will only affect Internet performance if they are actually using the Internet. If only one machine is on at a time do you get good speedtest result?

It may be that one of the PCs on your LAN is doing a lot of network access in the background or it could be infected.

Bottom line when tech was on site was his computer getting rated speed? If so then something on your LAN is causing a problem. If tech was not able to obtain rated speed what did he/she say they were going to do to fix the problem?

/tom

chicken3

Oakfield, ME
reply to Truckinguy2

I got a whopping $50 credit on my service after being charged for service I don't get since 2008.

"How does FairPoint High-Speed Internet compare to cable?

Cable offers service over a shared cable line where multiple users may be connected to the same local cable line. FairPoint High-Speed Internet provides a dedicated connection to your home from our central office so you don't have to share your local access connection with other users."

Supervisor was rewording this in every which way but wouldn't admit that having 35 customers on a remote with 5xT1 lines is grossly overcapacity and is by definition "sharing your local access".

They said since I get 2.2mb at 4AM after everybody goes to sleep that I'm getting my "up to 3mb" speed as advertised. Nevermind that I get .8mb during the day, and 300 ping off and on until midnight. Can anybody shed any light on how they can legally lie to their customers and stick them on whatever shared lines they want?

Truckinguy2

@myfairpoint.net

The New Hampshire Public Utilies Commission told me they don't have a speed agreement with FairPoint. So even though FairPoint is bound to other service by the NHPU commission they can do and say what they want. I now see how over the years of calling about outages,slow downs,etc. they (FairPoint) has always had excuses,stories on why I had bad service. I guess I they don't look like they are working on any issues it makes them look bad. Even though they know there isn't anything they can do given their situation. So the techs both on the phone and ones that come here come and go. As of now I am at my paid speed but given the track record for these last 5 years I am not holding my breath.

siriusxm

join:2012-01-18
Nashua, NH

I too am having slow speeds again with them, I am supposed to be getting 30mbps/30mbps and am getting anywhere from .o75/.025 2/2 etc. They have an excuse everytime I have called them, I just sent them in a complaint, we shall see what this time brings.

Ryan65

@myfairpoint.net

I am glad Im not alone, I am in the new Southern Vermont edition they brought about a year ago, Out side of stamford VT on the MA boarder. It started off good too, now as the night goes on Im droping from 14Mbit to 1-7. Im payin for 15. I sent them a strong email but this time they haven't replied. I am a bit fired up.

chicken3

Oakfield, ME

1 edit

For close to 2 years, Fairpoint has been leading me along with promises of upgrades in the future. Just recently when I received my $50 credit, they said it had to be fixed by October.

Well, they just completed the upgrades, I got home from being out of town late at night, and was amazed at my 4mb/1mb speeds, being able to play a 720p youtube video on this DSL for the first time ever.

I thought finally after years of complaints and headaches, I finally get stable service. Well that dream was short-lived, 5PM the next day and my ping goes to 150-300, speeds down to 0.5mb/s down, my upload stays pretty solid, around 1mb.

So after I called them, and said yet again that it's obvious the remote I'm connected to is overloaded, they check some things, call me back and say indeed the remote can't handle the bandwidth upgrade so they are checking to see if they can add additional T1 lines to it and if not they are putting us back to the old speeds...which also couldn't be sustained.

So almost 2 years being told of this upgrade, told it would fix my issues while they were basically denying there were any issues to begin-with and that I was the only one complaining. Now I find out I was right all along, the remote I'm connected to is congested, and now my only "fix" is to go back to how it used to be unless adding 1 or 2 additional T1s is somehow going to solve a congested remote with over 30 people on it (it won't).

I'm afraid if I complain much more they will just cancel my service, so I guess it's either bend over and take it or risk getting cancelled for complaining about horrible service.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2212623608.png

A techie

@myfairpoint.net
reply to Truckinguy2

Given the history you seem to have with this problem I'd suggest finding out who the CEO is and calling their office. I had a major problem with my Comcast service once, as in they knocked out my modem from provisioning 5 times in one week, and after getting the run around called the CEO's office. A very helpful individual there took my information and my complaint. Comcast fixed my problem IMMEDIATELY and permanently and the person in the CEO's office followed up with me once a week for at least a month to make sure everything was working right. While it sounds like there are some hardware and network configuration issues that need to be addressed in your case that may take longer to fix than 5 minutes I'm pretty certain that there has to be someone in the CEO's office who must take complaints and resolve them.

chicken3

Oakfield, ME

I've spoken to a couple of managers/supervisors and they are worse than the techs. They make excuses for everything, say I'm not entitled to a discount and that I'm the only one complaining and I should be happy for what I get basically.

It's been a month since the tech I spoke to said he was going to find out what the timeline was for potentially updating my feed. I called him last week and he said he had heard nothing and couldn't get a response from anybody and would get in touch with me when he did...

I'll be old and grey before this happens, does anybody know anything regarding this new FCC regulation/guidelines that maybe I can contact somebody that matters and prove they are not holding true to their responsibility?