Premium Member
join:2005-01-16

1 recommendation

caffeinator to decx

Premium Member

to decx

Re: [Opera] Official release of Opera 12 available (not the beta

said by decx:

You can't really expect that a skin to remain perfectly functional across major updates. Updates inherently changes the way the program looks and interacts with the user. These changes are bound to break skins/themes. It's up to the maintainer of the skin to update it for compatibility. This is the way it's always been for basically any program that has a skinning ability.

Sure I can. That skin has worked (with updates alone the way) across every major revision since win98 was king. Even v11.

Now v12 breaks the most popular minimalist skin ever made and that's ok? Nope. I'd go use FF13.

How many skin designers do ya think are even going to bother updating with the new and horrid "themes" site Opera has foisted on us? Not many.

Opera is turning their browser into Chrome apparently, and I won't follow them into the abyss. I'll run my 11.64 quite happily thx.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

2 recommendations

jabarnut

Premium Member

I must say, I kind of agree with you, caff.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm just not so sure about this version. Been away for a while, and haven't had a whole lot of time to "play" with it yet, but this may be the very first version of Opera that hasn't thrilled me right off the bat.
My biggest fear is they may finally be headed in the wrong direction. (Especially with the Facebook rumors...sorry, can't help but mention that again).
Like I said, can't put my finger on it yet, but I have this really horrible feeling somethin' just ain't quite right these days in Opera land.
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx to caffeinator

Premium Member

to caffeinator
said by caffeinator:

Sure I can. That skin has worked (with updates alone the way) across every major revision since win98 was king. Even v11.

Now v12 breaks the most popular minimalist skin ever made and that's ok? Nope. I'd go use FF13.

How many skin designers do ya think are even going to bother updating with the new and horrid "themes" site Opera has foisted on us? Not many.

Opera is turning their browser into Chrome apparently, and I won't follow them into the abyss. I'll run my 11.64 quite happily thx.

Frankly, Firefox has been my main browser ever since it was Phoenix. Over the years it has broken a few of my favourite unmaintained themes. It's because of this that now I only use the default theme that comes with it. With FF's current accelerated schedule there's is a lower risk of each new release affecting skins, but don't bet on switching to Firefox to avoid the problem altogether.