All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
luXfer
join:2012-06-20

luXfer

[TWC] [Brooklyn/NYC] SB6121 and RR

Long story short, I used my credit card rewards to get me a DOCSIS 3.0 compatible router, the Motorola SB6121, so that I can actually take advantage of the Turbo speed I've been paying for. However, when I tried to activate it today, I was told that it was not a supported device - which I just learned to be true. The "supported" version, the SB6141, is on an "ISP-lease" (what?) and will cost about $100 and another week or so for delivery time...

Do I have any other options? Has anyone else had experience with this? I found an Amazon customer that managed to argue with TWC until they let her register, which means that it's possible...
nephipower
join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

nephipower

I just bought an SB6121 and got it activated with TWC in San Antonio. But this is the 2nd 6121 I have tried and I am having problems with it randomly rebooting. I had the SBG6580 installed before that was provided my TWC and I had no problems with that at all restarting on it's own.

So even though I got it activated on my line with TWC, I am thinking there is in fact some sort of a compatibility issue for some reason even though both modems listed above are DOCSIS 3.0 modems.

karma to luXfer

Anon

to luXfer
The issue is current vs future,
the 6121 will technically work fine currently
Even with the new upstream bonding.
Future wise the modem doesn't have any leg room.

currently time warner has 4 downstream channels and is expanding markets to 4 upstream channels.

But in the future they will be on 8 downstream channels,

That's the difference

the 6121 supports 4 downstream channels max
while the 6580 and the 6141 support 8 downstream channels

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini

Premium Member

maybe that is why they are trying to phase out the ubees here in texas

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to luXfer

Premium Member

to luXfer
The 6121 is not a supported device, if you argue enough times you may find someone to provision it. The first time you have an issue you are SOL. If you are hell bent on your own modem get a supported one.

Hob
luXfer

luXfer

@nephipower: so you got them to activate your SB6121 anyway? Did they just let you do it, or did you have to say/do something?

@karma: I understand that the 6141 is the better modem in the long-run, but the fact is that I don't have it and would rather not dish out more money to grab it, especially when it's looking like some sort of elaborate money-grab.

@CptGemini: I have the Ubee right now, and it's not DOCSIS 3.0 (which is also pretty douchey of them considering I ordered Turbo to begin with)

@hobgoblin: thanks for your input

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

Anytime, as I said if you call enough you will find someone who will provision it.
Once provisioned, the FIRST time you call with an issue, its going to be the reason for the call.
A turbo connection never was a D3 connection so of course you got a modem that was not D3 compliant. What Ubee do you have?
I don't understand what you mean by money-grab. You can rent a compliant modem or buy one that is compliant. No one is making any money out of either at TWC.

Hob
nephipower
join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

nephipower to luXfer

to luXfer
I work with the Customer Advocate team for all my issues. They are very accommodating to help me out. That is how I got my modem provisioned. However tomorrow the guys are coming over to give me a carrier leased SB6141. I am hoping with the new box I won't have the same problems as the SB6121.

Also I completely agree with hobgoblin, if you have any problems it is extremely likely they will blame the problem on that you are using an unsupported model. Which will be a big frustration to you. So I would just suck it up and get the SB6141 modem
luXfer

luXfer to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

Anytime, as I said if you call enough you will find someone who will provision it.
Once provisioned, the FIRST time you call with an issue, its going to be the reason for the call.
A turbo connection never was a D3 connection so of course you got a modem that was not D3 compliant. What Ubee do you have?
I don't understand what you mean by money-grab. You can rent a compliant modem or buy one that is compliant. No one is making any money out of either at TWC.

Hob

Your first two lines say, as I understand it, that making them add it into the system will likely cause issues; am I correct?

From their approved equipment list; "What is DOCSIS 3.0?
DOCSIS is a telecommunications standard to provide Internet access via a cable modem. DOCSIS 3.0 modems provide the highest possible speeds, and are required for Time Warner Cable Turbo, Extreme, and Ultimate Internet plans." Doesn't this mean that the Turbo Internet package can utilize DOCSIS 3.0?

I have the UBEE U10C022 (»www.ubeeinteractive.com/ ··· ss_emta/)

I didn't do too much research into it, but I do know that the approved Motorola SB6141 is pretty difficult to obtain when compared to most other modems. That and the observations that say the modems have very little differing between the other (that is to say, there is no revolutionary difference) makes me think of how universities mandate that you get an updated textbook version despite there only being a paragraph's worth of change. Therefore, looks like a money-grab.

But what if TWC's switch from approving the SB6121 to the SB6141 is legitimate? What if the SB6141 offers something that the SB6121 doesn't, and RR now requires that missing link? Well, then it stands to reason that all existing SB6121 users would have to exchange theirs for the SB6141 - but I haven't heard wind of it.

This is my logic in determining the "approval" standing of the hard-to-get SB6141 to be a little fishy.

On that note - does anyone have any idea what an "ISP-lease" is?

kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi to luXfer

Premium Member

to luXfer
I have provisioned 6141 for wideband here in nyc with tw this week and it there were no problems with it provisioning and coming online, in fact I think provisioning process for factory defaults 6141 is a lot less than 6580.

Best part of this of course is that I can see signal stats and log now. TW blocks this on modems they provide or modems that have gateway and login/password unless you are on signature wideband.
luXfer

luXfer to nephipower

to nephipower
said by nephipower:

I work with the Customer Advocate team for all my issues. They are very accommodating to help me out. That is how I got my modem provisioned. However tomorrow the guys are coming over to give me a carrier leased SB6141. I am hoping with the new box I won't have the same problems as the SB6121.

Also I completely agree with hobgoblin, if you have any problems it is extremely likely they will blame the problem on that you are using an unsupported model. Which will be a big frustration to you. So I would just suck it up and get the SB6141 modem

I see your point...I'm sure in a tight pickle.

Is there a specific number for the Customer Advocate Team?

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to CptGemini

to CptGemini
said by CptGemini:

maybe that is why they are trying to phase out the ubees here in texas

the ubee's have 8x4 tuners in them.

so that is not why they are not on the supported list anymore.
luXfer

luXfer

Well, if anyone cares about an update, I decided to wing a call to TWC. After about a ten minute transfer, they told me that, because it's a new modem that I bought, I would have to reach one of their payment centers and fill out a "Customer Owned Equipment" form and also provide the specs of the modem (MAC, S/N, etc). I guess that's my next move...
jh2010
join:2009-09-03
Brooklyn, NY

jh2010 to luXfer

to luXfer
I ordered a 6141 this week(it came Friday).
I called up TWC to provision it, they took my info(MAC and Serial number) and said it would be provisioned within 72 hours.
Two year old Modem was a SB6120(my own) and I am on a 30/5 Internet plan.
In Brooklyn 11209.
gyu1
join:2011-06-13

gyu1 to luXfer

to luXfer
hey guys,

i recently got a sb6121 on ebay for a couple of bucks. I just looked over the list of accepted cable modems for RR and found that it's not compatible. I also live in NYC, does anyone know if there is anyway i can get this modem to work? (I have RR standard)