All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

angry
@wildblue.net

angry to fu gps

Anon

to fu gps

Re: [Mobile] Why didn't the government sign with lighsquared?

the area i live in is not populated at all lots of woods and farmland
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin

said by angry :

Honestly, that is exactly the kind of area that most people don't build coverage to because there aren't enough people to ever make their money back on the huge investment to get service to those few homes.

It's just a fact of life, and you should either start accepting the fact that you are giving up some luxuries of a city for the benefit of having woods, nature, and a peaceful environment. If you want a 20 meg cable connection, then you'd be better off moving to a city.

I don't meant to sound harsh, that's just reality. By the time all of the remote unpopulated areas have what is currently considered "broadband", broadband will evolved into something much faster and the remote people will be crying that they don't have the same gigabit connections as the metro areas. Rural areas will always be always be a few steps behind, and there's not much that can be done to change that.

angry
@12.189.32.x

angry

Anon

actually i thought the whole point of wireless was to provide internet in areas where the big telecos would not push on.
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

Actually, that is the point of satellite.
jcremin
Siren, WI

jcremin to angry

to angry
said by angry :

actually i thought the whole point of wireless was to provide internet in areas where the big telecos would not push on.

It is to some extent. Someone still has to fork over the money to build the network. There are areas where the terrain is so bad it would take dozens of towers to cover only a small area. Some of those areas are more expensive to cover with wireless than it is to run wires. If there are only a few dozen homes that could be served by a tower, it still may not be profitable to do even with wireless. So while wireless usually is much cheaper than running wires, the person building the network still needs to know that it will be worth it in the long run.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to angry

to angry
Are you willing to put a mast on your house to get line of sight over all those trees?

If not, *maybe* Verizon HomeFusion will reach you (gotta love 700MHz TV spectrum). It will be fast, faster than satellite. However it will still be expensive per gigabyte, because that's what happens when you're a ways form anywhere and the telephone company isn't a co-op that has enough money to wire everyone with DSL, even if they are in the middle of nowhere.
cbobby7
join:2009-06-14
New Windsor, MD

cbobby7 to jcremin

to jcremin
said by jcremin:

said by angry :

Honestly, that is exactly the kind of area that most people don't build coverage to because there aren't enough people to ever make their money back on the huge investment to get service to those few homes.

That was once said about electricity and then about phone service.

As long as the BBInternet is seen, as the corporations want it to be seen, as a profit center...instead of how is really should be considered....A UTILITY...then "unprofitable" service areas will be without.

No one ever seems to call the Big Internet Companies on the fact the the Internet was developed by the US Government (DARPA) at tax payer expense. Their business is Government Sponsored.

Plus once upon a time it was Understood the THE PEOPLE owned the airwaves(spectrum). But the Corporations are People too...right?

angry
@wildblue.net

angry

Anon

how far can you be from the tower and still get home fusion? i have 3 verizon towers kinda close to me. One at 9-10 miles one at around 12
and one about 14-15. The closest one has 3g and i called my local cell store cause when i look up homefusion that's who it says to call. They said verizon plans to add HF but they couldn't tell me when. Just said they were in the process of upgrading. the towers.
jcremin
Siren, WI

jcremin to cbobby7

to cbobby7
said by cbobby7:

That was once said about electricity and then about phone service.

Despite what some people thing, there's still a big difference between electricity and super fast broadband. If WildBlue is available, that's still internet, even if it can't do gaming, voip, and video streaming. I don't disagree that high speed access is important, just that it isn't in the same class as electricity.

Eventually, all areas will get broadband, but like I said above, by the time the OP gets what is currently considered broadband, the definition will probably have evolved into something faster in the metro areas. The ISP's will expand into areas that are unprofitable by subsidizing those areas from the profits in the metro areas, but the expansion will be slow.
said by cbobby7:

But the Corporations are People too...right?

You sound like you've been reading Karl's stories on the home page. Not all ISP's are big evil corporations. I operate a small WISP. Total size of our company: 2 people - my wife and myself. There are a lot of other companies like ours starting to spring up, but we aren't going to change the landscape overnight. The US is way behind, and it will take time... a lot of time... to get the country where it should be.

I still disagree with the entitlement attitude of "I deserve it and taxpayers should fund it". Rather than handing out billions of dollars to build networks where there is a ton of overhead and abuse, why not make it EASIER for smaller ISP's (the ones who don't have to answer to investors and actually care about our customers) to build networks and spur competition? Billions are handed out every year, and the majority of the money does nothing. Throwing more money at the problem will do nothing but create more wasted taxpayer dollars.
Max Signal
Premium Member
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY

Max Signal

Premium Member

Well Put . If you must have high speed internet with liberal or no caps . Very simple solution . Move !! Living in a Rural community is a wonderful thing , But as in all things . Nothing is perfect and sacrifices are made. The state of the economy and the debt we have as a country . The last thing we can pay for right now is high speed unlimited internet to every nook and cranny of this great land. Last time I checked congress has not ammended the constitution guaranteeing all high speed unlimited internet as one of our basic rights.
cbobby7
join:2009-06-14
New Windsor, MD

cbobby7

said by Max Signal:

. The last thing we can pay for right now is high speed unlimited internet to every nook and cranny of this great land. Last time I checked congress has not ammended the constitution guaranteeing all high speed unlimited internet as one of our basic rights.

This is a specious inflamatory argument meant to obscure the issue....like refering to "welfare queens" driving cadilacs at the taxpayer's expense. The Welfare Queens in this case are Corporations.

Billion $ coporations have built their internet service business on a backbone that was created/designed and first built by a government funded project. Welfare #1

The Peoples Airwaves aka Wireless Spectrum, was auctioned off to the highest bidder by government mandate, without any requirement that the buyer of the spectrum provide or ensure the provision of any sort of service to the Public. Welfare #2

The Big wireless coporations were given government(taxpayer) "stimulus money" for the express purpose of expanding interenet service to rural/underserved areas. Welfare #3

We have already 'Spent" our tax dollars, given it away for nothing as it seems.
Max Signal
Premium Member
Buffalo, NY

Max Signal

Premium Member

Yea , so let's spend more money we don't have , Not saying all your other points are valid . But this country is broke !!! and the cost of an internet expansion you seem to envision as your god given right is astronomical . Makes the dreaded obamacare look like chump change and we cannot afford that either . Guess we should just raise everyone taxes again so the few lucky soles that live in rural communities can enjoy unlimited high speed internet . RIGHT !!!

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

I thought this was the Wireless Users forum but from looking at the above post I must have wandered into the Red Room.

Actually I own a small WISP and I do think that everyone should have a right to a certain level of Intenet. There are many different answers as to how it should be funded but posts like yours aren't going to add anything worthwhile to the discussion.
Max Signal
Premium Member
Buffalo, NY

1 edit

Max Signal

Premium Member

I am all for internet for everyone but Cbobby has an unreasonable expectation of what he is owed. It is not a constitutional right and folks have to be realistic and there are trade offs of one sort or another wherever you choose to live. We have all told him we are sorry for his situation . The internet is really in its infancy . The strides that are being made are amazing . But we have to show some patience as things evolve . There is no magical switch that can be thrown and magically there is unlimited high speed unlimited internet everywhere for free !! I in no way wanted to turn this into a political discussion . Trying to calm his political rants . It gets real old after his repeated rants . I feel for him but he has to be realistic in his expectations or just move if progress is not fast enough for his needs

angry
@wildblue.net

angry

Anon

My expectations are unrealistic? I'm not asking for the same internet as the folks in the city. I do however think i should be able to get something similar to dsl. Which is damn near obsolete these days. I also agree with those that say broadband should be declared a utility. Not saying every home should have fios but every home should at the minimum have a 5 meg connection with a latency of 100 ms or less. They need to do something about data caps as well. 89 bucks a month for 17 gigs is horrible and i'm sure my isp is making a killing of that. The home fusion plan is worse as it starts at 60 bucks for 10 gigs. I would still choose HF over my current isp though. The sat companies and VZ do this because well they can. It's either deal with there Absurd caps or don't have internet. Having said that i would seriously consider HF if i can get it.

As far as progress is concerned i don't see much for rural areas. Sure the tech keeps getting better but it's all being put in populated towns and cities. Which is understandable but it doesn't seem to be trickling down to us country folk. Rant over now let me go check the vz 4g coverage map. I get the feeling the signal will end 5 feet from my house.
Max Signal
Premium Member
Buffalo, NY

Max Signal

Premium Member

Maybe your expectations are not unrealistic . Eventually everyone should have the service you describe. What you are unrealistic about is the time frame in which it should happen. The internet and broadband are in their infancy . There will be growing pains . But technology is growing in leaps and bounds . Need to have some patience.