spc
Search similar:

uniqs

mangus
@vodafone.pt

mangus

Anon

[Wireless] increasing a wrt160n range

So, I've recently changed from my parents' to an apartment oposite to their house, our houses are only separated by a one lane road, I would like to save some money by using their internet service but my linksys wrt160n(with ddrt) which has to be located on the farthest corner of my parents house (since is the only place with a phone box) hasn't got enough power to get to my apartment much less with good coverage.

I know i will have to buy some new equipment. What do you advise me?
public
join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA

public

said by mangus :

I know i will have to buy some new equipment. What do you advise me?

Get a pair of access points, preferably with directional antennas, and set them up as a point to point bridge.
You will have ethernet extension on the client side.

mangus
@telepac.pt

mangus

Anon

said by public:

Get a pair of access points, preferably with directional antennas, and set them up as a point to point bridge.

Will I have internet on both houses like that or just connection between computers? Do you advise any specific model of AP?
public
join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA

public

said by mangus :

said by public:

Will I have internet on both houses like that or just connection between computers? Do you advise any specific model of AP?

Internet in both houses.
The wireless ptp link is like a cable extending the network into the second house. Most APs have a client mode setting, brand does not really matter.
I have hardware for this under $50 if you are interested.