Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable

2 recommendations

reply to FFH

Re: Apple granted patent to pollute data collected on you

On the surface it might seem like a benevolent move on the part of Apple but things are often not what they appear to be.
Personal data collection is the driving force behind the internet today with Billions of dollars being invested to that end.
Competition is fierce between the players, shameless buyouts, sellouts, corporate espionage etc... rule the field.
Poisoning the data of competitors would make it worthless, forcing the buyers to buy from the only reliable source available - Apple.
Guaranteed, Apple will be able to strip out the poison they added.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by Snowy:

On the surface it might seem like a benevolent move on the part of Apple but things are often not what they appear to be.
Personal data collection is the driving force behind the internet today with Billions of dollars being invested to that end.
Competition is fierce between the players, shameless buyouts, sellouts, corporate espionage etc... rule the field. ...

Sometimes having a patent for doing something means simply that nobody else can do that same something... and in this day and age, it's within the realm of possibility that a patent can be merely a tool to block somebody else from doing that 'something'. I have a hunch a patent issued for a thing like this would be worth a whole lot more to one of the big data mining houses than it would be to Apple - which makes it something of major value for Apple to sell to the highest bidder. Not accusin', just sayin'... only time will tell.
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

Erin Pena

@reserver.ru

Actually Apple put the patent on it so they could bury it, and nobody could use it. Sometimes patents are taken by major companies for suppression purposes. This I believe, is the case here, we won't hear about this again - it will simply drift off into oblivion like water powered cars, cancer healing devices, and mystery free energy inventions. So wave goodbye to the benevolent sounding technology.

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

said by Erin Pena :

Actually Apple put the patent on it so they could bury it, and nobody could use it. Sometimes patents are taken by major companies for suppression purposes. This I believe, is the case here, we won't hear about this again - it will simply drift off into oblivion like water powered cars, cancer healing devices, and mystery free energy inventions. So wave goodbye to the benevolent sounding technology.

+1
--
Patriotism is not waving a flag, it is living the ideals

I want to retire to the Isle of Sodor and ride the trains.

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable

said by DownTheShore:

said by Erin Pena :

+1

Aah, so this is like Google's "Don't be evil" code of ethics.
How's that been working out over the test of time?