spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Denise2
join:2012-06-05
Gaithersburg, MD

Denise2

What is causing poor picture quality?

Round & round with picture quality with my new fios service. Pillar boxing and SD quality on my HDTV channels (i.e. MPT channel 522 in Montgomery County MD). PQ poor compared to the fine resolution I had with Comcast cable. The only images in high def channels consistently are live feeds from the tv studio (nightly news for example), and even then images appear a bit noisy (soft edges on faces). My house was not rewired when fios installed, so using the same cables as with Comcast service. Not sure I have RG-6, no labeling on wires. Would new wiring make a difference? Any other suggestions? All tv settings (1080P), signal, and connections check out.

icemannyr1
join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

icemannyr1

Not sure why some notice a difference in PQ from cable to FiOS on local broadcast channels.
Comparing OTA to FiOS on the broadcast channels the PQ is exactly the same for the NYC area.

Have you pressed Menu, Settings, Video Settings, Video Format and set it to 1080i?
Denise2
Gaithersburg, MD

Denise2

Thanks for reply. Yes, video setting is at 1080i.
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin to Denise2

to Denise2
All HD channels or is only your Locals?

Its possible your cable might make a difference if these channels happen to be carried at the higher frequencies and that cable cannot carry them.
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs

sometimes on your old cable provider, you may have done some tweaking for color and brightness and sharpness etc to get hte picture you like. and when switching to fios, we forget to do that. so if you did any tweaking like that, go into your picture settings on your tv, and adjust.

the fios settings for Video - will be 1080i, and then for SD OVERRIDE I would leave that off, and have your tv handle the video on the Standard def.

both settings are found in the video settings section

Menu>settings>video settings
*Video Format=1080i
*SD OVERRIDE =OFF

Also make sure you are using HDMI.

And also try different hdmi ports. HDMI ports also can deliver bad picture, believe it or not. I had that happen once, and for the life of me I couldn't get any settings that I liked on one, I got so frustrated with the set up that I switched the HDMI out of frustration, and then what I was trying to do worked. ymmv
Denise2
Gaithersburg, MD

Denise2

Thanks again all. Noisy images on all channels, not just HD. I have tried adjusting on TV color, brightness, sharpness, noise reduction and no change. Fios settings have been on 1080i and SD override is off, no change. Tech to visit today to check cabling - the 3 outdoor cables that leave the splitter next to the ONT box may be old. The only lettering I can make out on one of the black cables is "multi CATVX". Keeping my fingers crossed!
Denise2

Denise2

Not the cable.
Denise2

Denise2

Not the cable...on to the next idea.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Try another TV?
Denise2
Gaithersburg, MD

Denise2

When the outdoor cable checked out ok, tech connected a component cable to STB see if that made a difference. No immediate difference in pic quality from hdmi cable (now have both connection to STB). I left for the day and on my return, hd channels pic quality improved, even the resolution on the upstairs tv that does not have a STB improved. Message left today indicated the problem was found, the signal or transmission line. Will try and find out more and report back b/c it still may be erratic - when I first turned tv on this morning it was back to poor PQ, but after "warming up" the PQ improved. Appreciate all of your suggestions and tips!
Denise2

Denise2

The robo-message telling me the problem was found was just to close out the ticket - I thought it said the problem was found but all for not. I did have a glimpse of good PQ after the last technician left, but it was fleeting. Back to the same poor PQ in both TVs this morning and yesterday morning. They are not sure what to tell me. This is making me weary - but trying to remain optimistic so I can post

Mikek
@verizon.net

Mikek

Anon

Have you tried a different brand HDMI cable? I have seen a blu ray player display a noisey picture once. Turned out to be the HDMI cable.
dmine45
join:2002-11-03
Fredericksburg, VA

dmine45 to Denise2

to Denise2
Have you connected the cable directly to your TV and did a scan for the clear QAM channels? (MPT would be one of them). Then you can determine if it's your STB, the TV or something else.

Just trying to eliminate the STB and any connections to/from there could help.