spc
Search similar:

uniqs

avenison
join:2009-12-10

avenison to Riplin

to Riplin

Re: Sudbury ON - FibreOP FTTH - job fair Thursday 6pm

Last trucks I saw out and about were leaving the industrial building beside (formerly) Cranky Joe's. Thnis was a week and a half or so ago. Map?! What map? :/
avenison

avenison

...But since then, I haven't seen any, anywhere. September's over and I've heard no news about this area... Is this project stalled?

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy

Premium Member

said by avenison:

...But since then, I haven't seen any, anywhere. September's over and I've heard no news about this area... Is this project stalled?

I don't think so...but have been checking, but my street is used in multiple parts of the city so it gets a little confusing...

avenison

avenison

Heh. I wouldn't count on their customer-side database giving you much useful info - it still can't tell me if my location can get DSL. ;P

Hopefully johnB is still lurking somewhere nearby...
avenison

avenison

Re: Sudbury ON - FibreOP FTTH

A few (very small) updates. I haven't seen any work being done along Notre Dame (or anywhere else in town) recently, and the few trucks I've seen were heading towards the valley. There was a truck at the corner of ND and Lasalle today, but a) there's a Bell store there, and b) it turned out to be a BTS truck. I also took this photo. It's currently a crossing point for some lines (looks to be power and cable only). It's probably just construction, but if it extends further east than the roadside buildings, it could be joined to the run near Future Shop through the railway area/swamp/rotary club trail area.

Riplin
join:2002-05-13
canada

Riplin

I doubt they're burying any lines anywhere. This is an aerial venture from what I can tell. If they are burying any its not much.

On that note I haven't seen much action either anywhere. Considering I was told the area I'm in was supposed to be strung by end of july/august its pretty disappointing. Maybe they meant 2013 hah

avenison

avenison

Yes, those flags say buried communication cable, who knows whose they are though. As I said, I expect this is just construction prep, likely for the roadwork going on along there - but as the pole in the background is a crossing-point, it's also plausible that they're running as many lines to the Lasalle CO as it can handle before building out from another location. Probably not, but since we don't know their infrastructure plan, I'll keep on hoping.
Riplin
canada

Riplin

Vianet has been the one doing alot of underground work as well as some eastlink. Prob to save themselves some money from having to deal with a-holes from sudbury hydro.
Riplin

Riplin to avenison

to avenison
Well well, while driving down ND this morning I saw a Vistacare truck stringing fibre in front of pioneer manor. What do you know, start doing other areas before completing the last area. Figures

nitzguy
Premium Member
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to avenison

Premium Member

to avenison

Where nitzguy's gf's parents live in New Sudbury they're qualified for Fibreop...and there's a house on Carmelo St. that has the service, or they just have a sign on their lawn saying FibreOp is here....

It was dark so and I was driving so I couldn't see how the lines were run, but that's a start to figure out where exactly these lines are and what to look for...

I think the service is out there....I think the trucks you're seeing are just other parts...also they have to take time to make sure things work properly...so some shakedown is probably required...

avenison

avenison to Riplin

to Riplin

Re: Sudbury ON - FibreOP FTTH

Yep, they were still there this afternoon. I don't know where the north end of the line is, but looks like they're running them from Lasalle southward.

There are flags planted at all the green boxes as far as Staples, the closest one after Pioneer Manor being at the bingo hall.

Interestingly, they're not hanging Bell tags from the line - they are blue but they're Agilis branded. My friends off of Woodbine have had theirs a few weeks now and they like it, I haven't been by myself to check it out yet though.
avenison

avenison

Whoops, must correct an error - according to this post those Agilis tags are the city's fibre and Bell's are the orange ones. Which makes sense, as I tried following the blue run to see where it went, and it disappeared at a larger pole on the corner of the taxation centre's lot. If the fibreOP lines are the ones wrapped with orange where they cross the poles, then they run around the corner and down Lasalle.

The truck was still in front of Pioneer Manor around 4 today, so whatever they're doing there must be a big job. Patience is thinning.
Riplin
canada

Riplin

steel supporting cable was run along hawthorne today by vistcare. Starting to penetrate the adanac area.
JohnB15
join:2012-07-25
canada

JohnB15 to avenison

to avenison

Hey Guys,

I meant to touch base with you all sooner, but as you can imagine it has been a hectic past couple months at Bell!

The build is going great - a lot of behind the scenes red-tape has been dealt with and it should be moving ahead much faster. It is an extremely large FTTH deployment, and as you can imagine it requires extensive planning before each neighbourhood can be wired up. Not nearly as simple as running some cables onto poles.

This weekend we had Lasalle at Notre Dame reduced to one lane to run the Fibre across the intersection to the CSP(central splice point). With this being done, the entire north side of Lasalle is now complete and the neighbourhood across from the Lasalle Cemetery(Somers to Madeleine) will be live within a few days.

avenison

avenison

Nice to hear from you JohnB, and likewise nice to see the project is progressing. I hate to ask when everything can change in a heartbeat, but would I be wrong to hope for access in the flour mill by year's end? Is rollout going to continue over the winter, or is temperature/snow a limiting factor here?
Riplin
canada

Riplin to avenison

to avenison
Well, went away for a week came back and guess what. I see a new fibre line on pole in front of my house and site say fibreop is now available. Now lets see how flexible bell aliant is with their bundles. I only need net and phone. I also don't get why they don't have more speed pkgs. 3 pkgs aren't enough. What if people don't need 30meg up, why not have some 50/10 or 60/5. Let the negotiations begin

avenison

avenison

It should be interesting to see how much they will tailor it, considering the achievable speeds are so much greater.

Still no sign here, The run from the Lasalle CO terminates at the rail crossing on Notre Dame, so they may be starting another run from downtown (which means I'm at the far end ) I did see one of the vans parked on my street, but I think the driver was doing some Christmas shopping.
Riplin
canada

Riplin

Fibreop Salesman came to my door Friday night. Apparently speed packages have changed slightly. The best bundle is now 50/30 with no usage cap.

Anyway, I told the guy I didn't need TV and he said as of now there is no options to split the bundle. I said its kinda silly to force something on a customer they don't want and lose out on just an internet and phone sub. He kinda shook his head in agreement but nothing he could do.

I also told him I didn't need 30mbit up speed and they should be more flexible with their packages. He didn't really have an answer for that.

It finally came down to me telling him that with Harper's new copyright bill and Usenet removing postings because of DMCA what would be the point of having 30 or 50mbit anyway. Its coming to a point where that speed will be useless. Simple surfing and emailing doesn't require 30mbit. 6mbit dsl is fine.

What dsl should do to compete is drop 6mbit dsl to like 19.95/mth but we all know that will never happen cause most are already suckered in at much higher fees.

avenison

avenison

Re: "no options to split the bundle", do you mean that they wouldn't give you a bundle discount on only 2 services, or that they are not offering separate services at all right now?
JohnB15
join:2012-07-25
canada

JohnB15

All three services must be ordered together. Internet will be available as a stand alone product in the future, but not until the build is completed.

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON

BliZZardX to avenison

Premium Member

to avenison
He meant they won't sell internet on its own, and there's no point running fibre just to replace POTS. The options are triple play or nothing.

avenison

1 edit

avenison to JohnB15

to JohnB15
That's disappointing, particularily since the FibreOP site is (or at least was) frequently linking to the Bell Aliant site, which shows all the options - including those we apparently won't have access to for months.
said by BliZZardX:

there's no point running fibre just to replace POTS.

If VDSL was available I might agree with you, but on the other hand if there was a 5/768k fibre tier I would still switch. The decrease in latency would more than justify it for me.
said by BliZZardX:

The Bell options are triple play or nothing.

FTFY. I sympathize with FibreOP's rollout problems, but there's a vast difference between being unable to provide service to a potential customer, and choosing not to on the grounds that the customer only needs one of several services on offer. My subscription to an Internet-only service would still contribute to their bottom line, and it should be fair to assume they have sufficient capacity that it would not preclude someone else (who might want the whole package) from subscribing as well. Bell currently gets a large cut of my DSL subscription fees as well as the ridiculous amount I pay them for a landline - money they could continue to receive - if they're the first in line to offer me what I actually need.
Savillian
join:2003-11-22

Savillian

said by avenison:

That's disappointing, particularily since the FibreOP site is (or at least was) frequently linking to the Bell Aliant site, which shows all the options - including those we apparently won't have access to for months.

Trust me this has been brought up and talked about and will continue to be talked about till it happens.

EDIT:
PS - If anyone wants to know when a specific area is supposed to be due to be lit up, please PM me. I can give you an approximate timeline and NO guarantees! Haha.

nitzguy
Premium Member
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to avenison

Premium Member

to avenison
I received something in the mail last week to the effect that it will be available in my area....when I go to the website it says my address isn't valid....again probably to do with multiple street names in different parts of Sudbury....that were not resolved...unfortunately.

I'll scan it in when I get a chance to and post it here...I forgot to bring it to work tonight...

Other than that I'm excited, I'd be happy to pay $99/month even since I pay $85/month now and get 15/1 DSL and Home phone with Call Display....an extra $30/mth for tv? I'm in.
Riplin
canada

Riplin

That'll be around 149.95 for the better 50/30 after 3 months. Just don't forget that
Riplin

Riplin to Savillian

to Savillian
I dunno maybe I'm just not a marketing guy (trying to get as many full bundles locked in as possible) in the initial push, but pushing this group (ones that only want some part of pkg) aside (and its so technically easy to do) just tends to piss us off a bit more and think twice even when you do.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
Bell's FibeTV isn't selling as much as it could because they force bundle it with internet, which a lot of people dont want Bell's low capped shit...

I would consider it, as the TV quality is a LOT better than Rogers Cable, but not when i have to pay for their sub-par internet

nitzguy
Premium Member
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to Riplin

Premium Member

to Riplin
said by Riplin:

That'll be around 149.95 for the better 50/30 after 3 months. Just don't forget that

Oh crap, I looked at good, which would have given me 20/15 and its $109.95 After the promo...I thought it used to be $99.95 after the promo which I would have been fine with....

50/30 sounds nice though.....funny thing is there's no cap on usage with 50/30, but funny there is with 80/30 and 250/30....I think it has to do with Eastlink playing the same game in town so they're just matching on that aspect....
Riplin
canada

Riplin

Yep the whole follow the leader let's not distinguish ourselves from the competition doesn't really bode well for them imo.

habskilla
join:2005-09-19
Moncton, NB

habskilla to HiVolt

to HiVolt
HiVolt, the internet offered with the TV package is an uncapped 50/30 Mbps connection.

How is that shabby?