BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

BliZZardX to habskilla

Premium Member

to habskilla
I think HiVolt was making a general statement for the other 99% territory Bell covers

With the parent company, you can't subscribe to Fibe TV without also subscribing to Fibe internet (max 300GB if you have real fiber, 125GB for everyone else on DSL) and signing a 2 year contract for both

Aliant seem to be borrowing these tactics for their launch in Sudbury

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to habskilla

Premium Member

to habskilla
said by habskilla:

HiVolt, the internet offered with the TV package is an uncapped 50/30 Mbps connection.

How is that shabby?

Not here in Toronto... and we dont have the FTTH you guys have there... just VDSL based FibeTV.

habskilla
join:2005-09-19
Moncton, NB

habskilla

That is true, but this thread is about BellAliant FTTH offering in Sudbury. I just don't people reading this thread and think the bundled internet is capped.

That being said, if you upgrade the bundled internet to 80/30, that level is capped.
lexcyn
join:2004-11-01
Val Therese, ON

lexcyn to JohnB15

to JohnB15
I've noticed in the past couple of weeks more trucks running Fibre on new poles in Valley East (Val Caron, Hanmer). Is this Bell FTTH or someone else?
Riplin
join:2002-05-13
canada

Riplin

do the trucks say vista care on the side?
ZombieBanner
join:2012-11-14
Chatham, ON

ZombieBanner to avenison

to avenison
Well my parents have pulled the trigger with FibreOp, they get installed on the 10th, I will let everyone here know how it went.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato to avenison

to avenison
Some areas In Toronto have proper FTTH but not many most are as u say hivolt VDSL served areas bright side? New speeds soon i hear!

avenison
join:2009-12-10

avenison to Riplin

to Riplin
So anyway, shortly after my last post I found out Vianet already has my street lit up, so I have made the switch. Sorry Bell. I also did some networking for my friends using FibreOp, so I can present to you the following brief comparison.

Both services are a GPON-based (passive) fibre deployment. This means the layout is more similar to cable than DSL, in that their equipment (equivalent of DSLAM) sends and receives multiple subscribers' data down the same fibre, which eventually runs through an optical splitter and into X houses. Upload capacity is shared via TDMA, i.e. your-turn/my-turn/his-turn/etc., and is allotted based on demand and QOS rating. Both providers appear to be using VLANs to separate internet/voip/tv services as well as providing QOS for them. No idea if you can request higher priority for your own VOIP packets by tagging them or if that only works when the destination is the provider's server... I guess theoretically if it did work you could abuse it by making all of your traffic higher priority than your neighbours', but it's an interesting possibility. Likewise it would be nice to know if you can get basic TV channels without renting a box by setting up a device on a particular VLAN.

Hardware:

Vianet provides the Zhone model GPON-2424-NA modem, which has no wireless and no battery backup. I haven't logged in to poke around yet (supposedly it is locked?) but I have read some of the manual and it is pretty heavy material.

Bell Aliant is using the Actiontec R1000H, which does have integrated wireless but does not support IPv6. The current firmware version is very oddly laid-out - reminiscent of Thomson's Speedtouch modems, actually. Firmware seems to be developed on a custom basis and is therefore distributed only to the relevant provider (Bell's current version is apparently 33.00L.28) and there is no obvious way to upgrade it even if you had a file to flash. One nice feature is that if you don't know the username and password for the configuration pages, you can reset them by entering the unit's serial number - which hopefully is not visible from the network! Note that uPNP is disabled by default, so if you require any port forwarding you must log in. Strangely, the internal DHCP server does not support assigning specific IPs by MAC. If you prefer to manually forward ports instead of using uPNP, you will need to set each device to use a static IP outside of the modem's DHCP pool (which by default is 192.168.x.10-192.168.x.254) to prevent it from being assigned to a second device. This is not difficult, but of course if it's a mobile device and you bring it to another network, you'll probably need to remove the setting to get connected.

More info on the modem is available at:
»www.actiontec.com/produc ··· ?pid=212
»screenshots.portforward. ··· ault.htm
»forums.xbox.com/xbox_for ··· 793.aspx (requires a Microsoft login)

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

BliZZardX

Premium Member

Thanks for the elaborate post avenison, but you're teasing leaving out the goods! Post some vianet speedtests for us haha

Looks like they have some good connectivity, even with Bell. So you can play with your neighbour on Bell FTTH across town and it'll be like you're both in the same room »bgp.he.net/AS7091#_peers
ZombieBanner
join:2012-11-14
Chatham, ON

ZombieBanner to avenison

to avenison
Hey Everyone,

Sorry my parents ended up rescheduling cause they were sick.

I have to say I am very very impressed with the professionalism of the guys. Since I don't live in town currently I was a little scared about my parents making a telecom switch. Not with FibreOp.

The techs were there for almost 8 hours, 3 of them, one came and went, but they wouldn't leave till everything was working properly.

Instead of using the existing coax, they ran all new coax. They installed the modem/router in a very central location, actually wired on the beam covered by a drop ceiling.

Goods:
TV:
Mom says the TV is amazing quality and crystal clear, they gave her a 1 month promo of every channel so she can choose the right packages for her.

Internet:
Speeds, just as advertised, the uploaded seems to be a little lagging, but nothing horrible out of the 50/30 package, she is receiving 50.32 Mbps down, 19 Mbps up with an 11ms ping.

Phone:
Crystal clear, hooked up my parents fax, no issues, wouldn't be able to tell a difference.

Bad:
TV:
My mom doesn't like the remote, not a big issue till I get back up there and switch it over to her universal, but for my mom its something.

Internet:
I remoted to set up her and my dad's new email, they couldn't keep their sympatico addresses. The documentaion on pop/imap servers were horrible. Their own website was giving 500 errors, and finally found the answers on digitalhome.ca

Phone:
None.

Once I get up for a visit and do a good once over and write a full review.

avenison
join:2009-12-10

1 edit

avenison to BliZZardX

to BliZZardX
Sorry about that BliZZardX, I'd love to post some speedtests but I wouldn't trust the results right now. My strong machine is down for maintenance so I'm stuck using an aging netbook with a 3400rpm hard drive, and it can't properly keep up with anything.

What I can tell you:
-I'm on the slowest rate, which is 10/1
-Downloads consistently hit >1.2MB/s 24 hours a day, with burst speeds quite a bit higher
-Upload is unconfirmed but when I did try Vianet's speedtest it appears to be as claimed (1mbit)
-Browsing appears to remain acceptable while DL bandwidth is saturated (using my initial attempt at router QOS rules)
-Average ping to google.ca is 8ms, but jitter is around 10-15ms...

What I can't tell you:
-If the jitter in the ping test is typical/accurate, it could well be my netbook or my router which hasn't been tuned yet
-How things act when UL is maxed out
-How things act when UL AND DL are maxed out