uniqs
ZombieBanner
join:2012-11-14
Chatham, ON

ZombieBanner to avenison

to avenison

Re: Sudbury ON - FibreOP FTTH - job fair Thursday 6pm

Hey Everyone,

Sorry my parents ended up rescheduling cause they were sick.

I have to say I am very very impressed with the professionalism of the guys. Since I don't live in town currently I was a little scared about my parents making a telecom switch. Not with FibreOp.

The techs were there for almost 8 hours, 3 of them, one came and went, but they wouldn't leave till everything was working properly.

Instead of using the existing coax, they ran all new coax. They installed the modem/router in a very central location, actually wired on the beam covered by a drop ceiling.

Goods:
TV:
Mom says the TV is amazing quality and crystal clear, they gave her a 1 month promo of every channel so she can choose the right packages for her.

Internet:
Speeds, just as advertised, the uploaded seems to be a little lagging, but nothing horrible out of the 50/30 package, she is receiving 50.32 Mbps down, 19 Mbps up with an 11ms ping.

Phone:
Crystal clear, hooked up my parents fax, no issues, wouldn't be able to tell a difference.

Bad:
TV:
My mom doesn't like the remote, not a big issue till I get back up there and switch it over to her universal, but for my mom its something.

Internet:
I remoted to set up her and my dad's new email, they couldn't keep their sympatico addresses. The documentaion on pop/imap servers were horrible. Their own website was giving 500 errors, and finally found the answers on digitalhome.ca

Phone:
None.

Once I get up for a visit and do a good once over and write a full review.

avenison
join:2009-12-10

1 edit

avenison to BliZZardX

to BliZZardX
Sorry about that BliZZardX, I'd love to post some speedtests but I wouldn't trust the results right now. My strong machine is down for maintenance so I'm stuck using an aging netbook with a 3400rpm hard drive, and it can't properly keep up with anything.

What I can tell you:
-I'm on the slowest rate, which is 10/1
-Downloads consistently hit >1.2MB/s 24 hours a day, with burst speeds quite a bit higher
-Upload is unconfirmed but when I did try Vianet's speedtest it appears to be as claimed (1mbit)
-Browsing appears to remain acceptable while DL bandwidth is saturated (using my initial attempt at router QOS rules)
-Average ping to google.ca is 8ms, but jitter is around 10-15ms...

What I can't tell you:
-If the jitter in the ping test is typical/accurate, it could well be my netbook or my router which hasn't been tuned yet
-How things act when UL is maxed out
-How things act when UL AND DL are maxed out