share rss forum feed

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to JohnB

Re: Sudbury ON - FibreOP FTTH - job fair Thursday 6pm

said by JohnB :

It is very possible that some buildings will be getting FibreOP installed, it was done out east usually in a partnership between the building owner and Bell Aliant. There are many ways to install it relatively easily into apartments, running the wires on the exterior being the most common. There really is no reason why it cannot be done, provided they convince the owners that the wiring will be visually acceptable. But like I said, the popular choice out east, and in larger cities seems to be IPTV.

IPTV doesn't interest me lol....I haven't had a "cable" or "satellite" subscription in about 3 years now...not looking to go back to that....just want more speed....

Anywho, I guess I'll learn more in the future....

habskilla

join:2005-09-19
Moncton, NB
reply to JohnB

BJ0

join:2012-07-03
reply to avenison

What parts of the city are covered by Vianet Fibre and FibreOP? My dad called Vianet a few weeks ago and was told that our street (Morris) isn't covered yet, so I was wondering roughly when that general area is going to be covered. Eastlink 20 isn't bad besides the wifi modem, though the competition looks great!

If it's not going to be soon, I hope Eastlink will change their caps and upstream speeds once FibreOP comes out. Their 200 Megabit plan doesn't make a lot of sense when you can blow through the cap in under 3 hours, especially when their competitors are unlimited.

Riplin

join:2002-05-13
canada

1 recommendation

Unfortunately Eastlink, Vianet and Aliant Fiberop don't cater to the technically savvy. 90+% of the people they are going to deal with relate the internet/tv/phone to $ not the technical aspects of it. The sheeple still rule.

avenison

join:2009-12-10
reply to file

Hi again. I haven't been around lately, sorry about the late replies.

@file

Regarding installation, it depends where you're looking. You said installation is free w/contract; the FibreOP Internet page (on Bell Aliant's maritime site, see fine print section) says free w/contract but for FibreOP TV subscribers, while fibreop.ca states "Free professional installation is included for every customer." (emphasis mine.) A $150 fee for a bundled installation would be reasonable (and with most people's wiring, even a bargain), but for an internet-only connection that's rather steep.

Thank you for the info about the router - the site gave me the impression that it is an integrated device, so I'm glad to learn this is not the case. I'll probably just leave Tomato on my RT-N16 and use that.

@johnB

Thanks for the details regarding the roll-out. Was the Lasalle target met? Is there a tentative date for areas off of Notre Dame?

I also have a bunch of other questions, hooray!

1. In my area the POTS lines are on their own poles going through backyards/alleyways. I presume this is where they will be running the fibre, as opposed to sharing the street-side poles with hydro and cable?

2. Can you tell me what model ONTs are provided?

3. Will installation of the ONTs be strictly outside? I'd prefer to have it installed in the basement beside my existing demarcation point, both to discourage tampering and to avoid running power outside.

4. How does FibreOP's backup power system compare to a POTS landline?

5. Any idea when Sudbury-specific terms of service will be available?

JohnB

@184.151.63.x

The ONT(optical network terminal, for those who didn't know) is manufactured by Alcatel-Lucent. It is always mounted indoors, usually wear existing wiring enters the home. The battery back up provides 8 hours of phone USE, and a lot more for standby time. However, cordless phones would still not work no matter what technology the phone line used.

The address the comment about backyard poles, there are cases in Sudbury where yes, we have ran the fibre along that line. However, there are also cases(holland ave) where it was ran on the pole which carries hydro and cable only prior to fibreop.

JohnB

@184.151.63.x
reply to avenison

Here is a picture of the exact model being used

»twimgs.com/nojitter/ehk/December···20f1.png

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8

said by JohnB :

Here is a picture of the exact model being used

»twimgs.com/nojitter/ehk/December···20f1.png

wheres the rj11 for phone ?

JohnB

@184.151.63.x

From the ONT, an Ethernet cable runs into an Actiontek router. From there, a coax runs to the TV and the phone line is run to either the phone or splitter.

kovy

said by JohnB :

From the ONT, an Ethernet cable runs into an Actiontek router. From there, a coax runs to the TV and the phone line is run to either the phone or splitter.

Ok so the Actiontek router has a POTS port?

file

join:2011-03-29
Riverview, NB

The ONT has two phone ports, thus making it capable of having two phone lines. Internally it's like the VoIP hardware adapters that are available for other services. The difference is the VoIP traffic is run over a dedicated network straight to the equipment back at the central office. The linked picture seems to be of a model without this capability (there are different ones as some providers do not need it).

kovy

said by file:

The ONT has two phone ports, thus making it capable of having two phone lines. Internally it's like the VoIP hardware adapters that are available for other services. The difference is the VoIP traffic is run over a dedicated network straight to the equipment back at the central office. The linked picture seems to be of a model without this capability (there are different ones as some providers do not need it).

That's what I was saying lol.

zuli86

join:2012-07-14
Sudbury, ON
reply to johnB

Just out of curiosity, how will Bell Aliant be handling neighborhoods whose cables run underground ? I'm in the south end which has lots of newer neighborhoods. I'll guess that's why other areas of Sudbury were done first ?

JohnB

@personainc.net

Areas with underground wires will only be able to get Bell Fibe TV. It is similar to FibreOP. The main difference is that the fibre stops at the node so internet speeds aren't as high. Still an acceptable alternative to Eastlink.

avenison

reply to JohnB

said by JohnB :

The ONT(optical network terminal, for those who didn't know) is manufactured by Alcatel-Lucent. It is always mounted indoors, usually wear existing wiring enters the home. The battery back up provides 8 hours of phone USE, and a lot more for standby time. However, cordless phones would still not work no matter what technology the phone line used.

The address the comment about backyard poles, there are cases in Sudbury where yes, we have ran the fibre along that line. However, there are also cases(holland ave) where it was ran on the pole which carries hydro and cable only prior to fibreop.

Ok, glad they're going with the inside ONTs - it seems they were using the outdoor grey-box type when the available documents were written ( »productsandservice.bellaliant.ne···uide.pdf ). Regardless of where they're running the conduit I should be able to have it installed where I need it then.

Regarding power backup, I wasn't really asking about the ONT but the equipment at the CO end. POTS is nice since in a power outage a parasitic phone will work as long as there's backup power there - I am wondering if this new network will be on the same support infrastructure or if not.

You seem to have sidestepped my questions about expected delivery dates, but hopefully we will hear more soon?

nitzguy
Premium
Sudbury, ON

said by avenison:

Regarding power backup, I wasn't really asking about the ONT but the equipment at the CO end. POTS is nice since in a power outage a parasitic phone will work as long as there's backup power there - I am wondering if this new network will be on the same support infrastructure or if not.

My guess is not to power failure simply because there won't be any traditional "power" running down this fibre line? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe beams of light can be used for electrical conductivity?

In regards to the delivery dates, just look for where that truck is with the trailer and the big sign attached, it was at the Rexall at Westmount and Barrydowne a couple months ago and if you look in the street tool, you can see some streets have been added...sadly mine hasn't yet, but I do see some of the markings in my area for what looks to be Bell equipment...I'll take a picture of it soon and post it up here...I would figure those areas would be first since they have the locates all done.

JustinEss

join:2011-03-17
Ottawa, ON
reply to avenison

BellAliant provides a UPS for your ONT.
The ISP side (the OLT) sits at the CO, which of course has backup power generation.

zuli86

join:2012-07-14
Sudbury, ON
reply to JohnB

A buddy called Bell Aliant and they stated that if there is an existing conduit underground they will pull the line through. They just aren't digging at this point.

avenison

reply to JustinEss

said by nitzguy See Profile
[... :

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe beams of light can be used for electrical conductivity?

I believe you misunderstood my question:

said by JustinEss:

[...]The ISP side (the OLT) sits at the CO, which of course has backup power generation.

@JustinEss, I'm sure there will be backup network power (since they keep their DSL line cards on as well as the POTS lines). What I'm trying to clarify is what type and duration of backup power the FibreOP equipment at the CO will have, and whether it's shared between all equipment, or if it's a separate system. In the former case that may mean greater runtime in the long term as people move away from POTS, while in the latter, it may have a completely different capacity, greater or smaller.

JustinEss

join:2011-03-17
Ottawa, ON
reply to avenison

CO's have gas turbines so indefinite run time.
(To clarify, all CO production equipment is on back up power)

I know in NS(Bell Aliant territory) when they had Hurricane Juan, techs sat out at the Remote offices with portable generators to power telephone equipment.

avenison

Thanks, good to know. Though I might not call it indefinite - with a hurricane, you have early warning the power may be out, but in the case of accidental outages like in 2003, the possibility of exhausting the fossil fuel supply is probably a lot more likely.

A friend of mine over in new sudbury has placed their order, so I'll be taking a look at the FibreOP terms of service shortly. Hopefully they are less contradictory than the ones on Bell Aliant's web site... But that's a whole other post.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to avenison

And of course once they have the city covered, they'll start cutting the F1 cables coming out of the COs and deny competitors access to copper facilities or wholesale DSL (because it won't exist anymore).
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

avenison

It's certainly possible, but that kind of behaviour might backfire and motivate CRTC rulings on sharing non-copper infrastructure. As such I think it's unlikely they'll dismantle the only (and slower) network the prior competition can access.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON

They won't be able to gain the efficiencies of an optical plant without eliminating the maintenance costs of the copper plant.
--

nitzguy
Premium
Sudbury, ON
reply to HeadSpinning

said by HeadSpinning:

And of course once they have the city covered, they'll start cutting the F1 cables coming out of the COs and deny competitors access to copper facilities or wholesale DSL (because it won't exist anymore).

That may be a ways off....because they'll never have 100% coverage in the city....never....unless they're going to run 5km of optical fibre down to my parents place....the cost of the copper back in the early 80s was $2k to have phone service installed.....I could only imagine the cost of fibre to run down their way....

So you won't see them cutting those cables anytime soon as you'll never have 100% coverage, meaning unless they come up with some other way you'll have maintenance on both plants....

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON

said by nitzguy:

That may be a ways off....because they'll never have 100% coverage in the city....never....unless they're going to run 5km of optical fibre down to my parents place....the cost of the copper back in the early 80s was $2k to have phone service installed.....I could only imagine the cost of fibre to run down their way....

So you won't see them cutting those cables anytime soon as you'll never have 100% coverage, meaning unless they come up with some other way you'll have maintenance on both plants....

They only have to eliminate the F1 cable segment, and do FTTN with derived voice for everyone else.
--

avenison

reply to HeadSpinning

Agreed, but why risk losing the revenue of POTS users (who might choose cable or other non-Bell alternatives) when they can just continue to profit from ALL of them?

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON

They can still provide phone service only on FTTH. This is the strategy of several RBOCs in the US - discontinue the copper network to gain operating efficiencies and also lock out competition from using their network.
--

kovy

reply to avenison

I'm seen a few wholesales already using Bell FTTH for phone service... so competition is there.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON

said by kovy:

I'm seen a few wholesales already using Bell FTTH for phone service... so competition is there.

Yes, but they're only doing it OTT on Bell Internet service, just like Youtube, Skype and Netflix are all OTT. Bell does not provide the actual FTTH access service on a wholesale basis.
--