Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to HeadSpinning

Re: Sudbury ON - FibreOP FTTH - job fair Thursday 6pm

How is it over the top when they have actual service with FTTH ?

avenison

join:2009-12-10

1 edit
@kovy: I believe the distinction HeadSpinning is making is that if you use voip.ms, hulu, or in this case resale/wholesale providers, that traffic is routed over the public Internet. Conversely if your telephony/tv/etc. service is with the company providing the medium (Bell/Rogers/Cogeco and so on) then it is usually not routed over the Internet (which may offer certain advantages in terms of privacy and ease of bandwidth prioritization). That being said I do not know anything about the providers you are referring to. Care to name them?

kovy

said by avenison:

@kovy: I believe the difference HeadSpinning is pointing out is that if you use voip.ms, hulu, or in this case resale/wholesale providers, that traffic is routed over the public Internet. Conversely if your telephony/tv/etc. service is with the company providing the medium (Bell/Rogers/Cogeco and so on) then it is usually not routed over the Internet (which may offer certain advantages in terms of privacy and ease of bandwidth prioritization). That being said I do not know anything about the providers you are referring to. Care to name them?

The service is exactly like the Bell FTTH service, a ONT with POTS.

I believe it was oricom.

avenison

They do have one fibre package listed (@oricom.ca), but it's a 5/5Mbit 500GB/mo business package... for $595 per month.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to avenison
Then Bell must be selling POTS on GPON through wholesale channels. That's interesting. Maybe they don't see POTS wholesale as a big deal compared wholesale data access over GPON.

So far, Bell has been pretty steadfastly against FTTH/FTTP wholesale for data access unless you're buying Ethernet access services.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

kovy

said by HeadSpinning:

Then Bell must be selling POTS on GPON through wholesale channels. That's interesting. Maybe they don't see POTS wholesale as a big deal compared wholesale data access over GPON.

So far, Bell has been pretty steadfastly against FTTH/FTTP wholesale for data access unless you're buying Ethernet access services.

Some clients also had Internet involve as well... But I never got to troubleshoot one.

JohnB

@personainc.net
reply to avenison
Hello Everyone,

The network build is finally moving ahead again in New Sudbury. We had some issues with Sudbury hydro and the poles, minor set back. Sudbury Hydro is not an easy group to deal with, and they are the reason that the south end will be last in the city to be covered.

Grandview and the surrounding area is being done this week, and that entire section of New Sudbury should be finished very shortly. After that, it is that Hawthorne street area. The Valley is still being worked on, but is nearing completion. Our goal of New Sudbury and the Valley being covered in July will likely be missed by a couple weeks due to external factors.

If any one has questions relating to the build, I will try my best to answer them!

Riplin

join:2002-05-13
canada
What was the issue with hydro? They strung fibre many years ago under other sub company name/names but never branched out into neighborhoods preferring only to service "business needs". Bet they're pissed that some competition is here actually doing the work they should have done many years ago

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by Riplin:

What was the issue with hydro? They strung fibre many years ago under other sub company name/names but never branched out into neighborhoods preferring only to service "business needs". Bet they're pissed that some competition is here actually doing the work they should have done many years ago

Probably with rent costs for the poles...
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

Riplin

canada
Probably rent yes. Funny thing is where did hydro get the money to put the poles up in the first place? We paid for the poles, we paid for the labor. When you think about it you gotta wonder why they're even allowed to charge any rent at all.

avenison

reply to JohnB
If they were demoing the services downtown, can I hope that areas off of Notre Dame will get connected before winter?

BJ0

join:2012-07-03
reply to avenison
quote:
Hi Ben,
Thank you for your interest in Bell FibreOP. You currently do not qualify for Bell FibreOP but have added you to the pre-registration list so you will be contacted as soon as it becomes available. All our package information can be found at fibreop.ca and when new offers become available our website will be updated.

If you have any additional questions please don't hesitate to respond.

Again, thank you for your interest in Bell FibreOP.

Regards,

Social Media Team - Bell FibreOP
Darn, hopefully it will come soon! I would prefer Vianet Fibre, though I don't think they're rolling that out anywhere near as fast.

JohnB

@personainc.net
reply to avenison
Yes, the areas off Notre Dame will be connected well before winter - target is begin the build in that area in September 2012.

The issue with Sudbury Hydro was the cost of the pole space, which was way out of line compared to what other utility companies were charging out east.

Riplin

canada
said by JohnB :

The issue with Sudbury Hydro was the cost of the pole space, which was way out of line compared to what other utility companies were charging out east.

Exactly, cause you are in direct competition with hydro's fibre sub companies who don't want to let you use the poles so they jack the rent and hope you'll go away.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
said by Riplin:

said by JohnB :

Exactly, cause you are in direct competition with hydro's fibre sub companies who don't want to let you use the poles so they jack the rent and hope you'll go away.

Pole attachment rates are set by the OEB.
--

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to JohnB
said by JohnB15:

Hello Everyone,

The network build is finally moving ahead again in New Sudbury. We had some issues with Sudbury hydro and the poles, minor set back. Sudbury Hydro is not an easy group to deal with, and they are the reason that the south end will be last in the city to be covered.

Grandview and the surrounding area is being done this week, and that entire section of New Sudbury should be finished very shortly. After that, it is that Hawthorne street area. The Valley is still being worked on, but is nearing completion. Our goal of New Sudbury and the Valley being covered in July will likely be missed by a couple weeks due to external factors.

If any one has questions relating to the build, I will try my best to answer them!

What about the bustling Metropolis of Chelmsford? I saw some locates and whatnot that looked to be going on, but no actual activity though I noticed the ground is dug up in some areas around the CO....

Just curious if we'll be before the end of 2012 or looking at 2013....there's a sign on RR-35 that says 'Fibreop' is here, but that's as you're coming down into Azilda near where they're rebuilding the Tim Hortons....is it available in all of Azilda yet?

Riplin

canada

1 edit
reply to HeadSpinning
So the oeb rates were that out of line with eastern (edit) canada to put a temporary stop on roll out?

Sounds fishy to me.

My mistake on location.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
He never said Eastern Ontario. I suspect he meant Eastern Canada (i.e. Atlantic Provinces) where Aliant is from.
--

Riplin

canada
I'd be curious to know if Sudbury Hydro falls under the cloud of the OEB. Being a municipal system it may not be bound by ON rules

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
said by Riplin:

I'd be curious to know if Sudbury Hydro falls under the cloud of the OEB. Being a municipal system it may not be bound by ON rules

Enwin in Windsor is owned by the City of Windsor and is bound by the OEB. I see no reason why Sudbury would be any different.
--

Riplin

canada
reply to avenison
Well looks like bell's already started their bullsh1t

»fibreop.ca/PS/on/english/product···ection=2

deal breaker

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
lol.. so much for Aliant not having caps

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
reply to Riplin
Specifically:

FibreOP Internet 15/15 and FibreOP Internet 30/30, data transfer capacity is unlimited. FibreOP Internet 70/30 and FibreOP Internet 250/30, data transfer capacity of 250 GB per month, $1.00/additional GB, $80 monthly maximum applies. Additional Internet usage: Usage rates may be changed by Bell without notice. We wish to remind you that these additional charges and maximum limit do not limit in any way our contractual right to temporarily suspend or restrict your access to your Internet service or to take any other actions deemed appropriate, if your consumption exceeds a reasonable limit, as determined by Bell in its sole judgment, or for any other violation of the Acceptable Use Policy or Terms & Conditions, in accordance with the terms of such Acceptable Use Policy and Terms & Conditions documents.
--

Riplin

canada
Specifically:

Shove your fibre you know where.

avenison

I would have been very surprised to see the words "unlimited" on that page (considering the 15/30 rates did not mention caps at all) if not for all the contradictions in the terms of service. I haven't had time to write what's going to be a fairly long post about that, but yeah, the tagline is "BA can do whatever they damn well feel like".

habskilla

join:2005-09-19
Moncton, NB
reply to avenison

habskilla

join:2005-09-19
Moncton, NB
reply to avenison
There are caps, but 15/15 and 30/30 are unlimited.

Also, 15/15 is now 20/15 and 30/30 is now 50/30 in Atl Canada.
--
»speedtest.net/result/2032867059.png

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to habskilla
said by habskilla:

Looks like it's rolling out

»www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpos···ount=588

For those Sudburians, I saw 2 Bell FibreOp trucks (They were labelled as Fibreop, I don't know if they're specific to the project or just the new truck branding for Sudbury) on Attlee avenue so I figure its starting to roll out...

I'd be happy with 30/30....just waiting patiently.

Riplin

canada
The only way they'd get me is with 30/30 unlimited bundled with phone and features for 69.95/mth on a 3yr contract and must be written in contract that no caps would be imposed during that 3 yr period.

avenison

reply to nitzguy
They don't seem to have gotten very far:

My friends off Lasalle (west) had an installation appointment for August 1st... The two FibreOP trucks showed up, the guys spent a few minutes searching nearby poles, apologized and added them to their growing "it's not here yet" list.