spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bjrrtx

join:2009-08-19
Dallas, TX

[VOD] new to FIOS- is on demand unreliable?

I've had FIOS for a couple of weeks now and decided I would try the video on demand. I tried a day or 2 ago and could not bring up any of the show listings, in fact my DVR completely locked up for awhile with no button on the remote doing anything. After awhile I got a message on the screen that there was a network error.

A couple of days later I was able to view the listings, I selected a program that we had missed and we started watching it. About 1/3 into the program and the picture froze. After a minute or so the screen went black and a little later I got a similar message that there was a network error.

Is this a common thing?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
Not common at all. Sounds like you may have a bad connection from the STB to the router.

Check you MOCA LAN stats:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How to check MOCA stats?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

FIOSHD

join:2007-10-22
united state
reply to bjrrtx
VOD works flawlessly for me. I would call them. They can test this over the phone and dispatch a technician to fix if needed. It could also be the STB or a number of other things, but most likely it is your coax run/connection

bjrrtx

Dallas, TX

1 edit
said by FIOSHD:

VOD works flawlessly for me. I would call them. They can test this over the phone and dispatch a technician to fix if needed. It could also be the STB or a number of other things, but most likely it is your coax run/connection

You realize that Verizon is also my PHONE company and as such there is ironically no way to actually reach them by telephone.

The coax is all new, the ends were put on by the technician during the install. The STB, splitter and router are also all new. There is about 10' of coax from my router to the splitter that the technician installed, and about another 10' of coax from the splitter to the STB. I'm not understanding how there could possibly be a problem with a connection here. The TV signal has never been interrupted and I have not seen any interruption with my internet connection.

Is there a chance that the VOD servers in my area are just overloaded during prime time?

Sounds like you may have a bad connection from the STB to the router

I'm not understanding how the router is involved in television signals. Does that mean if I had purchased tv service only and not internet service then I wouldn't have a router and wouldn't have access to VOD?

NickP65

join:2008-12-11
Trenton, NJ
said by bjrrtx:

said by FIOSHD:

You realize that Verizon is also my PHONE company and as such there is ironically no way to actually reach them by telephone.

Try 1-800-VERIZON

Sounds like you may have a bad connection from the STB to the router

I'm not understanding how the router is involved in television signals. Does that mean if I had purchased tv service only and not internet service then I wouldn't have a router and wouldn't have access to VOD?

VOD is delivered over the internet side, hence the router is critical.

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium
join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC
kudos:1
reply to bjrrtx
I have never had flawless VOD from FIOS. When I hit the VOD button it's like the lottery if I am going to get the VOD menu. When it works it takes many seconds to come up, and many times it never does. I rarely have issues watching a VOD show once I get the menu, I can only think of a few times when it said there was an error.

FIOSHD

united state
reply to bjrrtx
VOD is deliver via the IP network the same as your guide on the TV. You can have issues with your MOCHA communications that do not have any impact on your broadcast TV quality.

1-800-Verizon. They will get you to a tech who can diagnose the problem over the phone and dispatch if necessary.

One example of a possible issue is many folks had in-line amplifiers with their old providers (not saying you do), these amps can cause issues with the mocha frequencies and not impact TV at all. Issues with the MRDVR as well as VOD can be experienced in these cases.

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA
reply to bjrrtx
VOD works just fine here on the Left Coast.

Calling 1-800-VERIZON also works for contacting a CSR. I have gotten fast response for phone problems, but have had trouble resolving billing issues.

Mac973

join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ
reply to bjrrtx
I used to have an issue a lot where I would click the On Demand button on the remote and it would cause my DVR to reboot. It would happen about 50% of the time. But this seems to have been fixed for the most part with the latest IMG release.

bjrrtx

Dallas, TX
reply to FIOSHD
said by FIOSHD:

One example of a possible issue is many folks had in-line amplifiers with their old providers (not saying you do), these amps can cause issues with the mocha frequencies and not impact TV at all. Issues with the MRDVR as well as VOD can be experienced in these cases.

Everything in my system is new except for the one piece of coax that runs about 15 feet from my ONT to the splitter. I had intended to replace it but the installer said it was OK and he wanted to use it. All of my coax is new, the splitter/router/STB all looked new when the guy took them out of his truck.

I had a lot of old coax and splitters in my attic dating back to my first cable tv install over 15 years ago, and at one time I did have an amplifier. None of that stuff is being used with my new FIOS.

The installer gave me an 8-way splitter close to the ONT- one leg goes to the router, 3 legs go to new STB's and the last leg goes to a TV outlet that is currently not used. The remaining 3 legs of the splitter are capped with terminators but the unused outlet in the distant bedroom is not. There are no other splitters in the system. Could the uncapped outlet be causing a problem?

FIOSHD

united state
said by bjrrtx:

said by FIOSHD:

Everything in my system is new except for the one piece of coax that runs about 15 feet from my ONT to the splitter. I had intended to replace it but the installer said it was OK and he wanted to use it. All of my coax is new, the splitter/router/STB all looked new when the guy took them out of his truck.

I had a lot of old coax and splitters in my attic dating back to my first cable tv install over 15 years ago, and at one time I did have an amplifier. None of that stuff is being used with my new FIOS.

The installer gave me an 8-way splitter close to the ONT- one leg goes to the router, 3 legs go to new STB's and the last leg goes to a TV outlet that is currently not used. The remaining 3 legs of the splitter are capped with terminators but the unused outlet in the distant bedroom is not. There are no other splitters in the system. Could the uncapped outlet be causing a problem?

Anything is possible. It could be as simple as a loose connector on one of those shiny new cables. The best course of action is to call them and let them look at the readings on the home network. They will know how to proceed from there.

bjrrtx

Dallas, TX
reply to bjrrtx
I decided to try it again tonight. I hit on-demand and the listings came up in a few seconds. I selected the program that failed yesterday and told it to resume. It played for less than 3 minutes before it died again. I wrote down the error message that it gave: "the set top box lost video dut to a network connection failure. VOD_191".

djoropallo

join:2003-10-20
Maple Shade, NJ
reply to bjrrtx
My VOD has always worked fine, but they don't seem to load it correctly. Now they have a Showtime HD folder, with 1 movie in it.?? Then last night I was watching The Glades, episode 3, but it was late so I figured I'd resume tonight, but today there is no Episode 3, only 1 and 2 in the A&E folder. It doesn't even appear in My Collections>My Rentals. What is up with their system? Who loads this?

aztecjames

join:2011-09-10
Newbury Park, CA
reply to bjrrtx
I had the exact same issue after I first had Fios installed last year. I couldn't get more than 15 minutes into any on demand movies without it freezing and or stopping with errors. I had a tech come out and after lots of troubleshooting, replacing my wireless router resolved the issue. The bad router was brand new and just unwrapped at my install. The tech said they get bad routers every once and a while. If you haven't done so yet, call Verizon and let them know, this is not normal. I have not had any issues since.

hubrisnxs

join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA
kudos:2

1 edit
I rarely have a problem with VOD, but I am on the left coast as well. we don't hear very often from people with VOD problems unless there is a major outage. to me that seems rare and infrequent.

your trouble is most likely either cabling or a bad router.

There is such a thing as a technician messing up during install.
The Video On Demand is not a broadcast, it's an IP service that is delivered through the router.

The problem is probably the router, the cabling or the set top box itself.

Try it on another set top box, and if it does the same thing, then you know it's not the set top box.

If the problem exists throughout the house, then the problem is probably either the router, or the wiring, so the wiring at the router would be important, and the wiring back at the Splitter would be important. ALSO sometimes tech's forget, but customers sometimes have amplifiers and attenuators in the house on the coax lines, and those don't typically play well with fios. so lose them or get rid of those things, and then try it again.

some of my first jobs were in electronic retail, and there are lots of electronic devices that are DOA or bad out of the box. happens a lot. so it could just be that.

hubrisnxs

join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA
kudos:2
reply to bjrrtx
and yes the uncapped outlet, could be a cause. so if you have a terminator - slap it on there. or buy one for 15 cents :P

bjrrtx

Dallas, TX
reply to hubrisnxs
said by hubrisnxs:

Try it on another set top box, and if it does the same thing, then you know it's not the set top box.

ALSO sometimes tech's forget, but customers sometimes have amplifiers and attenuators in the house on the coax lines, and those don't typically play well with fios

I have only one DVR box, my other 2 are just plain boxes so I don't think they have the VOD capability.

ALL of the wiring in my house is new except for the one piece from the ONT to the router, about 15' long max. There are no splitters anywhere except for the 8-way that the installer put in. There are no amps or any other devices.

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
With the exception of the DCT-700 (the digital adapter) all boxes can get VOD. Even your non-DVR STBs. Have you tried rebooting your router? My VOD is very reliable as well.

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
reply to FIOSHD
said by FIOSHD:

Yep - I had a variation of this issue. I have a surge suppressor hooked to a TV, and it includes a coax connection. So I had coax going from wall to suppressor, and from suppressor to TV. Live TV was fine... VOD was not. I got massive pixellation. Noticed the same thing with multiroom feeds to that STB. That's when it hit me - the issue had to be the connector in the suppressor - it wasn't rated to a high enough frequency. I bypassed it, and voila! Problem solved. So, it's not just inline amplifiers. It can be splitters and other connectors as well.

CrobertGauth

join:2007-12-15
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to bjrrtx
One source of the problem could be that you have an 8 way splitter and only 4 devices (DVR, 2 STbs and Router I would assume).
Are the extra legs terminated?
Even so, I would try to swap it out for a 4 way splitter (can pick one up at most electronics or home stores). Just make sure it is rated for at least 1 GHz.

bjrrtx

Dallas, TX
said by CrobertGauth:

One source of the problem could be that you have an 8 way splitter and only 4 devices (DVR, 2 STbs and Router I would assume). Are the extra legs terminated?

3 of the 4 lugs on the splitter are terminated. The 8th output goes to a distant bedroom that does not have anything connected so that one is not terminated- 1 out of 8 total.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to bjrrtx
I asked you in an earlier post to test your MOCA stats.
You have not posted the results.
If the results are marginal, that could explain poor VOD performance.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How to check MOCA stats?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

bjrrtx

Dallas, TX
said by More Fiber:

I asked you in an earlier post to test your MOCA stats.

I think I found it.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
Yes, that's it for your WAN connection. The numbers look fine.

You should also check your MOCA LAN stats.
--

bjrrtx

Dallas, TX
said by More Fiber:

You should also check your MOCA LAN stats.

I have an actiontec router but it does not give me the options described in the FAQ below. When I click on the blue globe I get a screen titled "NETWORK CONNECTIONS" and it has no option for "coax stats". I dug around more and found the info shown below.)

"To check the MOCA LAN stats:
• On the MAIN status page, click on the blue globe in the My Router column. The System Monitoring page is displayed.
• In the Network (Home/Office) column, click on coax stats. The Coax Connection Stats page is displayed. This shows the MOCA speeds between the router and all MOCA LAN devices. Speeds should be as listed for MCOA WAN."