spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fotomatt1

join:2007-11-07
New York, NY

[HD] Which DVR / HD box for new install in NYC?

FiOS is almost ready in my NYC apartment building. Just curious which DVR / HD boxes they're installing these days in Manhattan? When I lived on Long Island, I had the original Motorola boxes, but I imagine they've come a long way since then. Are there any choices or options, or is it luck of the draw?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
The current box for new installs is the Motorol QIP-7232 P2.
Cisco boxes are not deployed in VHO5.

»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the STB & DVR models?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

budhissed

@verizon.net
reply to fotomatt1
i wanna know what type of ONT are they installing in manhattan. is it the small desktop one? i dont want one of those giant ONT they install on side of house.

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
kudos:1
Expect one on the side of the House unless you are in a multifamily dwelling.

sbernstein5

join:2005-01-18
10024-5650
reply to budhissed
said by budhissed :

i wanna know what type of ONT are they installing in manhattan. is it the small desktop one? i dont want one of those giant ONT they install on side of house.

If you're in an apartment building you get a very small one, about 1/2 the size of the DVR (but thicker). That's what I have in my apt.

chitchatjf

join:2008-07-13
Lawrence, MA
reply to fotomatt1
I am in an apartment building and have one of the larger ONT units
OTOH I am in VHO6 and have had Fios for close to FOUR years!

fotomatt1

New York, NY
I'm hoping they can mount the ONT in my coat closet. In my old apartment I didn't have a closet near the door, so they put the ONT right above my front door, and it was one of the ones that goes on the side of a house (about 5 years ago).

fotomatt1

New York, NY
Along the same lines, which ONT and router are they providing in NYC? I have my installation scheduled, but unfortunately not for another 4 weeks! They're busy in my area I guess.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
The Actiontec rev. I is standard for new installs.

MacAlert

join:2005-03-16
Flushing, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to More Fiber
said by More Fiber:

The current box for new installs is the Motorol QIP-7232 P2.
Cisco boxes are not deployed in VHO5.

»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the STB & DVR models?

Not really. I was given a 6416 in April.

Ike1

join:2012-06-02
Newark, NJ
said by MacAlert:

Yeah, a friend in Manhattan was given a 6416 a few months ago, too. What the HECK?!? I CANNOT believe they are still pawning off this old junk on people. Pathetic and embarrassing.

fotomatt1

New York, NY
said by Ike1:

said by MacAlert:

Yeah, a friend in Manhattan was given a 6416 a few months ago, too. What the HECK?!? I CANNOT believe they are still pawning off this old junk on people. Pathetic and embarrassing.

I wonder if they'd give a 6416 with a whole house DVR? I'd definitely request a newer box if they try to give me one of those.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to MacAlert
There was a shortage of 7232s several months back due to the flooding in Thailand last winter. That shortage seems to have subsided. Regardless, the OP will get whatever is in the local garage.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

fotomatt1

New York, NY
They actually still have a shortage of 7232s. When they did my install they tried to give me the same 6416 I had 5 years ago. I asked them if I could switch it at my local office and they said I could for a fee. I told me I didn't want the lower capacity DVR especially if they were going to charge me more later for something I should have from the beginning. Installer agreed but told me he couldn't help. At that point I told him to stop the install and forget it. 15 minutes later a manager showed up with a 7232. Problem solved. I wouldn't have minded the 6416 temporarily, but the fact that they would charge me more to "upgrade" later is crazy.