uniqs

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

WTF is up with emmisions and registration renewal

Just tried to get my new plate sticker and couldn't cause apparently they now include emission notices with registration renewal notices?
My registration renewal letter says "YOUR VEHICLE MUST PASS AN IEPA EMISSION TEST BEFORE YOU CAN RENEW".

I thought they changed it so cars beyond a certain year only had to do emissions every two years. The woman said they don't send ouy separate emission test notices anymore. I know that's BS cause I got one for my wifes Mini last week.

Ijust got the emissions test done on my car last august. And I need to do it again already? What the fu*kin F**k?

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium Member
join:2002-09-22
Naperville, IL

insomniac

Premium Member

Wow, something's not right there. I wonder if your successful test from last year didn't get properly entered into the system. If your car is newer than 1996, it needs to be tested every two years after it is four years old.

»www.epa.state.il.us/air/ ··· ing.html

Everything on that site says "Please bring your test notice with you," so I agree that the SOS clerk was wrong about not sending separate testing notices. She must have been confused about the (relatively new) requirement for vehicles to be in compliance before registration renewal.

ETA: »www.epa.state.il.us/air/ ··· ice.html

The Illinois EPA will send one notice to the owners of vehicles due for testing. A yellow notice will be mailed about four months prior to the expiration of the vehicle's license plates, thereby allowing sufficient time to test the vehicle and, if necessary, perform repairs.

The Secretary of State’ office will now include a statement on vehicle registration renewal notices as to whether compliance with the Inspection Law is required before a vehicle's registration can be renewed.

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

It was a currency exchange. Maybe I'll go to an SOS office tomorrow. It must have been entered correctly cause I went to the SOS last year and got turned away cause I hadn't done it. Went and got it done and was back an hour later and got my sticker.

I'll try an SOS office tomorrow. She had to be wrong. There's no way I need tot do this every 10 months.

edit: And thats what I thought. The notice doesn't come from the SOS but comes from the EPA.

edit2:
Wait. So what does that mean? Does that clip from the EPA site mean you need to do them every year now?

cp
Premium Member
join:2004-05-14
Wheaton, IL

cp to Jon5

Premium Member

to Jon5
Having the same problem here. My registration is up on my truck and I'm out of town. My truck isn't passing emissions because the ecu is having problems. Total freakin nightmare.

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis to Jon5

Mod

to Jon5
I always hated this damn system back when I had my Insight....total waste of my time.

RXDOC
You want what?
MVM
join:2002-03-13
Pawtucket, RI

RXDOC to Jon5

MVM

to Jon5
I used to live in FL and we had to go every year (even on brand new cars) AND pay $10 to have it done!

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau to Jon5

Premium Member

to Jon5
Just got one myself for my 06 TL. I thought it was for OLD cars.

Nuckfuts
Premium Member
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL

Nuckfuts

Premium Member

Nope, once your vehicle is 4 years old they start testing. I have never had or seen this problem before. My old truck was fifteen years old and was tested every 2 years after 2001 and I never had an issue getting my sticker. And my wife's '08 Saturn Vue just got it's first emissions notice 2 weeks ago so they still send them out. I think someone screwed the pooch on your paperwork, lol.

rcbrcb
Premium Member
join:2007-02-21

rcbrcb to Jon5

Premium Member

to Jon5
Yep..Starting in Jan, plate renewals are now tied together with the emissions test, so if you are due for emissions, you cant renew your plates and get a new sticker. Previously they just suspended your DL if you ignored your Emissions test notification, now that have switched to the plate renewal as a means of enforcement, but the test is still only due every 2 years, so if you did one last year, something must be noted wrong on your info. The still do mail out the notices with the test facilities listed

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

I didn't get a chance to go to the SOS. It'll have to wait until Tuesday. Just a huge PITA

chmod
Premium Member
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL

chmod to Jon5

Premium Member

to Jon5
My van has D plates and I transferred the title in January (long story). New plates and sticker, sticker expired in June. I must not have paid attention when I bought it years ago that D plates all renew in June. Mind you D plate stickers aren't the cheapest.

snipper_cr
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Wheaton, IL

snipper_cr to Jon5

Premium Member

to Jon5
I had the same thing happen last year and am wondering if it will happen this year. I had to do it in 2010 because it was one year after I "purchased" the vehicle then had to do it again in 2011 because it was "the vehicle's alternating year." I'd like to see how they swing it this year...

cp
Premium Member
join:2004-05-14
Wheaton, IL

cp to Jon5

Premium Member

to Jon5
My truck is STILL in the shop having the ECU reprogrammed. It seems like it's just not meant to pass emissions.

I asked some people what to do in the situation I'm in. I guess Illinois is willing to give you temporary plates if you're vehicle is not passing emissions and you're trying to get it fixed. I haven't gotten there yet because my plates don't expire until the end of this month.

It's been a fun month for me
cp

cp

Premium Member

$600 later, my truck passed emissions!!!

It's amazing how much of a scam this system is.