Premium Member
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY

NY Tel to Gunga Din

Premium Member

to Gunga Din

Re: Triple play upgrade pricing

Geez - you pay too much for cable....lol
I have Fios and pay 94.99 a month. Free Showtime, TMC for 2 years + 16.99 for 1 DVR and 3 non-dvr boxes for free for life.
Probably comes to less than 120 after some small franchise fees are added in.
But I do like competition.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon

said by NY Tel:

I have Fios and pay 94.99 a month.

And how much do you pay in fake taxes, fees, and bullshit surcharges?

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn

Anon

said by MxxCon:

You mean like iO Navigation and the additional outlet fee?

NY Tel
Premium Member
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY

NY Tel to MxxCon

Premium Member

to MxxCon
said by MxxCon:

said by NY Tel:

I pay a whopping 4.72 a month in franchise fees for my TV and no tax on the Internet.

MxxCon
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon

said by NY Tel:

said by MxxCon:

said by NY Tel:

I pay a whopping 4.72 a month in franchise fees for my TV and no tax on the Internet.

franchise fee, eh? So are you telling me VZ does not charge fake taxes on TV?
and what about phone? are you telling me VZ, of all companies, does not charge that bullshit 911 surcharge?!
stuman221
join:2012-01-08
Staten Island, NY

stuman221

I have the VZ triple play, and I pay 13 and change per month in taxes. Similar to what any cable co charges
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner

Premium Member

said by stuman221:

I have the VZ triple play, and I pay 13 and change per month in taxes. Similar to what any cable co charges

Say whaaaaa?

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn

Anon

So how is it that you get Boost Plus for FREE, but I didn't?

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

+1
stuman221
join:2012-01-08
Staten Island, NY

stuman221 to tired_runner

to tired_runner
Do you have phone from CV ? Thats where I get the 13 and change number. I dont see it on your bill. I had TWC and thier taxes were almost the same as VZ.

RickNY
Premium Member
join:2000-11-02
Bellport, NY

1 edit

RickNY

Premium Member

said by stuman221:

Do you have phone from CV ? Thats where I get the 13 and change number. I dont see it on your bill. I had TWC and thier taxes were almost the same as VZ.

There are no additional taxes on Optimum Voice or OOL, at all.

$3.53 is the only tax and fee line on my bill, just for TV.

iO Silver is HBO, Showtime, and Starz. It also includes Encore, which is part of one of the lower iO tiers.

MxxCon
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon to stuman221

to stuman221
said by stuman221:

ya, and what about other fake fees and surcharges?

anonanon
@verizon.net

anonanon

Anon

Even with "fake fees and surcharges" Verizon's bottom line price is still cheaper than Cablevision.

Isn't what matters the price you pay "out the door".

For example, I pay to Verizon for Ultimate HD triple play with 50/20 Internet, Free MRDVR for life + 2 HD boxes = $144.99+0+13.98+$13.24 taxes and fees= $172.21

So even with the "BS" taxes and fees I am still almost $30 cheaper than the original poster for an equivalent setup.

Also does the IO Gold include free Video On Demand for the premium channels? Last time I checked CV charged $4.95 for the Video On Demand subscriptions to the premium channels whereas Verizon does not. So I would have to add $4.95 for HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz/Encore = $19.80. Plus an additional $6.95 for the Sports and Entertainment pak which is also included in Verizon's Ultimate HD package.

Let's compare shall we:

Verizon Ultimate HD 50/20 Internet, FiOS Digital Voice Phone Service. Includes HBO/Cinemax/Showtime/Starz/Encore/Epix/NFL RedZone/TMC/FLIX/IFC/Sports package + On Demand included Free for all the Premium Movie channels + MR-DVR + 2 additional HD boxes + "BS" taxes and fees = $172.21.

vs.

Optimum Triple Play/IO Gold/Boost Plus (50/8)/Optimum Voice+ DVR + 2 HD boxes = $185. (And that's without counting CV "outlet fees" and taxes) Now if I want to match what I get with Verizon with the Premium Movie channels On Demand and the Sports pak I need to add $26.75. So total = $211.75, (not counting any taxes or fees)

So explain to me please why Verizon's taxes and fees are such a big deal if out the door I am still paying less than CV?

Who cares about the sums of the total when the only thing that matters is the actual total, not how you got there.

MxxCon
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon

Or could it be that OP DOES NOT WANT all those additional bullshit VOD channels that VZ shoves down your throat? Since CV gives you an option, you can order it if you want to. With VZ you have no choice!

Since OP had an option to order them but didn't, his channel selection is accurate to what he wants to receive and pay. So how the hell does OPs $185 $30 more than your $172?!?!?!
You are nothing but VZ's apologist and looking for every possible excuse to justify your own purchase to yourself and others. You are just looking for a psychological validation that your decision was good.

Why do bullshit taxes and fees matter?! Because VZ never ever advertises those amounts. Even when you place an order with them and ask phone drone, they will never tell you the exact accurate amount down to the penny on how much you will pay! They will give you approximate ballpark that is often $10 - $20 lower then your actual bill! They know your exact address and location, they know what specific taxes and fees apply to your account, yet they never able to tell it to you. It's intentional! They are hiding these below-the-line bullshit taxes and fees to make it extremely hard to make accurate comparison between services.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy to anonanon

MVM

to anonanon
Uh, On Demand is now included with the CV Gold and Silver packages. I tend to agree with MxxCon See Profile that it might be better to not have it in the package since the vast majority of those with a DVR will simply set it to record these channels when they have a movie that they want and then use it like On-Demand.

To see the lineup click on the package

»www.optimum.com/order/io ··· e=silver

anonanon
@verizon.net

anonanon to MxxCon

Anon

to MxxCon
Ok, so even if I don't want the On demand, $185 is still more than $172.

The point was you justify paying MORE MONEY to cablevision just to not see taxes and fees on your bill.

My point was who cares what the taxes and fees are as long as the price you pay out the door is less.

I can apply your own argument to you, that you are nothing but CV's apologist looking for every possible excuse to justify your own purchase (or lack of options). You are just looking for a psychological validation that you're being stuck with an inferior service is actually good.

If you are going to compare prices all I am saying is that the bottomline price is the only one a rational cost-conscious consumer cares about.

I think its ironic that your best argument is "I pay more money for less service but at least I don't have to pay taxes and fees"

And yes, I am quite satisfied saving my $13 per month, having a much better experience than CV's 1980's guide that looks like something from the days of MS-DOS, and I feel I have contributed something to my community because a portion of my taxes and fees went to my local state/county.

And yes I stand by my original assessment that I get $30 more value for VZ's version of their package vs the equivalent of CV's because I could compare VZ's Extreme HD package and add in the Premium's to match CV's package and still come in at $30 less. And yes that's with the BS taxes and fees. My comparison was that anyone could get a lot more for those $185 with VZ than you could with CV.

Alas for those unable to get VZ they simply find an excuse to justify why CV "MUST" be better.

Just a news flash, you'd be better off not having any loyalty to either company. To both VZ and CV you are nothing more than a number to expoit to line their pockets. If either of them really cared about YOU as a consumer, than they would let you keep your promotional rates, as I can't possibly believe that they lose money on the promotional rates, they just make less profit.
anonanon

anonanon to TheWiseGuy

Anon

to TheWiseGuy
said by TheWiseGuy:

Uh, On Demand is now included with the CV Gold and Silver packages. I tend to agree with MxxCon See Profile that it might be better to not have it in the package since the vast majority of those with a DVR will simply set it to record these channels when they have a movie that they want and then use it like On-Demand.

To see the lineup click on the package

»www.optimum.com/order/io ··· e=silver

When I check CV's packages, even for IO GOLD, it shows I have to pay an extra $4.95 for On Demand for each of the premium movie networks plus an extra $6.95 for the Sports pak.

My point was that with VZ those are included and even with the taxes and fees the bottom line price is cheaper than CV. So how is that not a better value?

Also what if I don't want to pay for a DVR or use up space on my DVR to record shows I can watch On Demand?

The only point I was trying to make was that the whole "BS taxes and fees" does not hold any weight in making a price comparison from VZ to CV if the price still comes out to be cheaper in the end. VZ can nickel and dime me to death, but as long as I still pay a nickel and dime less than CV I will stay with VZ. When they charge me a nickel more I will take a look at CV and the value they offer for their services.

I drive a $25000 sedan because I can't afford an $60000 luxury sedan. But if I can get that luxury sedan for the same price or less than my $25000 sedan you better believe I'll be taking the luxury sedan. MxxCon on the other hand would rather keep his low-end sedan even if it costs more than the luxury sedan as long as they tell him he pays more money out of pocket just so he doesn't have to see the words "taxes and fees" on his bill. He then justifies it by saying, "well I don't need automatic locks, windows, A/C, CD MP3, built in navigation, DVD player, leather heated seats, and all the other bells and whistles." He'll be happy paying CV $500 per month, as long as it doesn't say taxes and fees on his bill.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

said by anonanon :

When I check CV's packages, even for IO GOLD, it shows I have to pay an extra $4.95 for On Demand for each of the premium movie networks plus an extra $6.95 for the Sports pak.

The new iO gold, as shown in the link you provided, includes the on demands. You won't see "HBO on demand", for example, on the gold list because it's on the silver list, and Gold states "everything in silver plus the following".

Also, sports pak is included with iO gold now, so no extra fee needed. If you check the listing, most of the channels are listed on gold, and the rest should be in "iO Value".

KeepCalling
@verizon.net

KeepCalling

Anon

Can someone point me to where Optimum states premium on-demand is included and not 4.95.

so far I have only come across:
»www.optimum.com/ratecard ··· d=213288

and the io Silver package:
»www.optimum.com/package- ··· kgType=4

No mention of premium on-demand being free.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

Click for full size
Click for full size
From the link I posted and the second link you posted. Oh and I missed circling Starz On Demand, I bet you can find it.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

You'll also find "Encore On Demand" in the "iO Value" section (which is included in the silver & gold").

It is also available at a charge, if you get the package in an a la carte, or have an old plan (which, if you have the old version & interest in OD, you should call & have it changed - may have to wait until any promo pricing expires).

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35 to KeepCalling

Anon

to KeepCalling
said by KeepCalling :

Can someone point me to where Optimum states premium on-demand is included and not 4.95.

so far I have only come across:
»www.optimum.com/ratecard ··· d=213288

and the io Silver package:
»www.optimum.com/package- ··· kgType=4

No mention of premium on-demand being free.

»www.optimum.com/digital- ··· hannels/

I was gonna post that after your first post yesterday but got busy at work. For $89.95 (IO Silver) HBO On Demand is included for free as well as most of the others. For $109 (GOld) it includes Cinemax on Demand.

MxxCon
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon to anonanon

to anonanon
said by anonanon :

My point was who cares what the taxes and fees are as long as the price you pay out the door is less.

If you are going to compare prices all I am saying is that the bottomline price is the only one a rational cost-conscious consumer cares about.

Once again, VZ makes it extremely difficult, if not outright impossible without getting 1st bill, to accurately compare what your final below-the-line amount will be. They advertise one price, but when you get the actual bill it is always is much higher.
said by anonanon :

I can apply your own argument to you, that you are nothing but CV's apologist looking for every possible excuse to justify your own purchase (or lack of options). You are just looking for a psychological validation that you're being stuck with an inferior service is actually good.

except I don't go trolling VZ forums claiming that CV is better.
said by anonanon :

And yes, I am quite satisfied saving my $13 per month, having a much better experience than CV's 1980's guide that looks like something from the days of MS-DOS, and I feel I have contributed something to my community because a portion of my taxes and fees went to my local state/county.

yes, CV's tv guide is shit. Their inet service and phone are good. If you want to contribute to your community, do some real volunteer work or directly pay more taxes. If you think paying more taxes to VZ is helping your community you are delusional.
said by anonanon :

Just a news flash, you'd be better off not having any loyalty to either company. To both VZ and CV you are nothing more than a number to expoit to line their pockets. If either of them really cared about YOU as a consumer, than they would let you keep your promotional rates, as I can't possibly believe that they lose money on the promotional rates, they just make less profit.

100% agree with you here.
But if you read this forum in any amount you'd know that I have no loyalty to any telco/cableco/cellco.
I very much dislike CV's confusing billing methods. I hate what they recently did with all the TV packages. And I'm annoyed that CV is the only viable option I have.
I have no loyalty to CV just like they have no loyalty to me. If there's a better alternative available to me I won't blind an eye to switch or use every possible trick to get a better price.

sff
join:1999-07-20
New Rochelle, NY

sff

said by MxxCon:

Once again, VZ makes it extremely difficult, if not outright impossible without getting 1st bill, to accurately compare what your final below-the-line amount will be. They advertise one price, but when you get the actual bill it is always is much higher.

My brother had business double play, 3 lines of voice and internet from Cablevision. He switched to FIOS because the prices quoted would save him ~$30+ per month. When he got the first bill he was shocked. It was costing him $30+ more per month than Cablevision. Partly because of taxes, and partly because phone calls were only free on the first phone line. He was paying per minute on all of the other phone lines. Of course he switched back to Cablevision.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn to MxxCon

Anon

to MxxCon
said by MxxCon:

Why do bullshit taxes and fees matter?!

What about CV's bullshit $80 fee to port a phone number to OV? It's $40 for the port, PLUS a mandatory $40 tech visit even if there's no wiring to be done.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

It's Verizon who charges for the number to be released

RickNY
Premium Member
join:2000-11-02
Bellport, NY

RickNY

Premium Member

said by WK2:

Bull.. I ported a Verizon landline number to Sprint for no charge.. And then ported it to Google Voice for their $20 fee.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn to WK2

Anon

to WK2
said by WK2:

That's a Cablevision CSR lie.

Still, you didn't answer the question of why CV charges a total of $80 to port a number.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2 to RickNY

Premium Member

to RickNY
CV told me that Verizon charges them.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn

Anon