uniqs
share rss forum feed

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to avenison

Re: Sudbury ON - FibreOP FTTH - job fair Thursday 6pm

As far as the "Old City of Sudbury" is concerned...I believe all of the bases are covered, Downtown Sudbury covers that area I believe as there is no CO for the Donovan specifically and that its all fed from downtown @ 200 Brady for that area, as well as a CO on Rockwood for the South end, and a CO on Lasalle that covers new Sudbury...

So, at some point they'll get to your area...but who knows when...but I'm sure they'll be covering the whole area.

habskilla

join:2005-09-19
Moncton, NB

If the roll out is anything like we have in Atlantic Canada, you'll see these boxes popping up.

»i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff5···e032.jpg

FibreOp will be offered very soon after once you see that box.
--
»speedtest.net/result/1940600461.png

nitzguy
Premium
Sudbury, ON

said by habskilla:

If the roll out is anything like we have in Atlantic Canada, you'll see these boxes popping up.

»i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff5···e032.jpg

FibreOp will be offered very soon after once you see that box.

Good to know. I haven't seen any Bell trucks in my neighbourhood specifically but I'll be on the lookout for these boxes, I'm going to guess it'll be by xmas as that would only make sense.

avenison

join:2009-12-10
reply to habskilla

Thanks for the pic habskilla. Any idea what's in the box? It appears there's only one line (or group of lines) coming down into it from the pole, and one line/group coming out the bottom.

@nitzguy, that's why I wondered. If they're really planning to do the entire area then there are plenty of ways they could "wire" it. They could use the existing COs as a starting point, but they could just as well lay all of it from the Brady St building. Getting back to the list, it did occur to me that it could be divided by CO, but based on the entries for the Valley that may not be the case. Val Caron does have it's own CO (1741 Main W), but afaik Val Therese and Hanmer (which are separate in the dropdown list) are both served from the Hanmer CO at 4522 Dennie. There is however an unsigned building on Jeanne D'arc (»maps.google.ca/maps?q=46.646052,···33760679) which may or may not be relevant.

habskilla

join:2005-09-19
Moncton, NB

It's a neighbourhood connection box. The wire coming out the bottom is just a ground wire.
--
»speedtest.net/result/1940600461.png

nitzguy
Premium
Sudbury, ON
reply to avenison

said by avenison:

Thanks for the pic habskilla. Any idea what's in the box? It appears there's only one line (or group of lines) coming down into it from the pole, and one line/group coming out the bottom.

@nitzguy, that's why I wondered. If they're really planning to do the entire area then there are plenty of ways they could "wire" it. They could use the existing COs as a starting point, but they could just as well lay all of it from the Brady St building. Getting back to the list, it did occur to me that it could be divided by CO, but based on the entries for the Valley that may not be the case. Val Caron does have it's own CO (1741 Main W), but afaik Val Therese and Hanmer (which are separate in the dropdown list) are both served from the Hanmer CO at 4522 Dennie. There is however an unsigned building on Jeanne D'arc (»maps.google.ca/maps?q=46.646052,···33760679) which may or may not be relevant.

I think they're going from each CO, and going out from there as that would make sense as there is probably connection points from there and no sense to go from Brady downtown all the way out...but its tough to say not knowing whats going on...again its possible they're doing this now, if they're hiring sales reps that are going door to door, then it must be ready soon...I have ADSL2 now but I'm actually served from the CO believe it or not...I'm special like that...lol....not the Brady St CO, another CO somewhere else. It'll be exciting to see for sure though.

file

join:2011-03-29
Riverview, NB
reply to avenison

I can explain a little bit about the box that habskilla previously linked to.

Bell Aliant has chosen a cost effective passive fiber deployment. This means that in the field between you and the CO there are no powered devices. The only powered devices are at the central office and your home. The rest is spliced together fiber and equipment which allows fiber to be 'split' to multiple homes.

This is in contrast to VDSL deployments where remotes have to have power and much smarter equipment to do things. In the end it's more cost effective.

The box linked is where this 'splitting' occurs. Fiber from the central office comes in, fiber from homes comes in, and the two are connected. It actually looks like an ethernet patch panel inside, except with fiber.

avenison

join:2009-12-10

What are the disadvantages of that topology? How many endpoints can each line out from the CO handle, and how does that affect latency?

I'm pretty interested to see what Vianet will be doing in response to this. Their 30/5 package seems pretty inline with 25/7 DSL (if it was available), but the only synchronous plan they have is 25/25, for $83/mo before taxes, etc. If B-A can do what they're doing in the Maritimes (mostly synchronous rates, no caps, reasonable prices) they will surely have to raise the stakes.

file

join:2011-03-29
Riverview, NB

The number of houses sharing the fiber depends on the deployment, 16 or 32 being the most common (of course that is just the limit, you could have less). Latency isn't affected, fiber is f-a-s-t. My ping to the gateway at Bell Aliant is 1ms.

As for disadvantages you are sharing the bandwidth available on the fiber with other people. The control is tighter than cable though, with the amount you are allocated changing every few milliseconds. Bandwidth can also be guaranteed for phone and TV.