how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kbrackley

join:2002-12-07
Springfield, MO

[MO] Speed suddenly drops to 3 down for 20mb service

I get to wait 5 days for a technician to troubleshoot why a connection they seems fine from their end but using speakeasy.net and speedtest.net from different locations results in 3 down and 2.7+ up (supposed to be 20 down and 1.5 up).

So I couldn't explain to the person on the phone that obviously something was wrong...the UP speeds alone I've never been able to achieve (but wish we could keep that part of the problem!!!).

Anyway else having problems in 658xx (Springfield) ???

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:103

You shouldn't have to go through all of this trouble and I would be happy to offer additional assistance. IM me your account info and I will see what else can be done.

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO
reply to kbrackley

65807 here speeds have been fine still having drop outs though

tech was out the other day he improved the signal a bit but it just dropped out again a few min a go

kbrackley

join:2002-12-07
Springfield, MO

I had an outage at 4:14 pm today, after another modem reboot and getting the connection back a speed test clocked in at .55 down (note the DOT in front of 55!!!) and 2 up.

There is definitely something wrong with their network equipment. The last time this happened I was getting upstream speeds of 2.5 and 3 mbps while the downstream was less then 2.

Still waiting for the technician tomorrow, but I had U-Verse for 18 mos and not one single outage the whole time...not one router reboot, nothing.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

Keep me posted on how that trouble call goes.

periboob

join:2009-12-19
Springfield, MO

Similar problems (Springfield Mo). Speed slows to a crawl. (.5Mb-3Mb). over the last three weeks, 5-6 times. Irritating. I kind got in the habit or resetting my cable modem, and it seemed to fix things, speeds went back to normal, 12-14Mb. This afternoon, I suffered the slowdown, reset the cable modem, but got no fix. Speed was up and down since noon. Downloaded a 50 MB file, and it took 15 minutes for the first 5 MB, then suddenly, ZAP it was done. Now I dont really know if resetting the CM was helping, or if it was just coincidental with some other factors. And I just renewed my contract. Talk about bait and switch...

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

There are several things that could cause your speeds to fluctuate like that. If you would like to send me an IM with your phone number or account number I can see what is causing this to happen.

periboob

join:2009-12-19
Springfield, MO

To all: Chad suggested in a PM that it could be my wireless router. I was about to answer that I would notice a speed-drop on the router because I do a bit of work on my LAN. But this morning, I was led by fate to try to download GIMP 64 bit version, 188 MB. The Firefox download window informed me that it would take about 45 minutes!! So, based on Chad's suggestion, I reset the router, and started over. Result, download worked in a couple minutes. Speedtest shows 14.5Mbs. Thanks, sorry to cast blame on Mediacom. Sometimes, it is not their fault.

Chad is da Man.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

Glad to hear that it is working! Keep me posted if you run into any other issues

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:1
reply to periboob

Before you go and buy another router make sure you try firmware upgrade and maybe changing your channel.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.