spc
uniqs
flo1356
join:2004-05-01
Fair Lawn, NJ

flo1356

Re: [Northeast] New IP, now can't connect to Radmin Viewer 3.0

Hello

How can I tell if I am on the DMZ? If the viewer says it is connecting to the game server and then says it can't connect, does that mean that verizon is blocking it along the way? My friend says the radmin log says no login was attempted other than my friend when he tested it out. The ip filter is turned off, so my new ip should not be blocked.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

Couple of questions. Oops. A couple of couple...

1. Why would you be on the DMZ?
2. How is your network setup?
Like ONT -> Actiontec -> Switch,
or is there another router in the mix?
3. Have you made configuration changes in the Actiontec, particularly firewall or security setting changes?
4. Have you checked the firewall settings on the PC?

The standard security settings in the router should not prevent a radmin viewer connection.
flo1356
Fair Lawn, NJ

flo1356

Hello

I'm not too computer savvy, but I will try and answer you. The Actiontec is hardwired to my computer since I am an online gamer. There is no other router in the mix. My hubby's laptop is wireless. One morning I went to use the Radmin viewer and it would not connect. I checked my routing using tracert and that was ok. So then I discovered I had a new ip. I had to email my friend that I had a new one and when he came to GameSpy Arcade, I gave him my ip and he put it into the Radmin Server. It still did not work. He then took off the ip filter from the Radmin Server and still no go. I need to be on the DMZ so that all functions of GSA work. When I got Fios installed, the tech made sure I was still on the DMZ and I could tell I was since it said I was. When I saw I had a new ip, I also saw that there was a new firmware also. Since that time, I have not been able to connect to it. I use Norton Internet Security 2012 and that is configured the same way. It is allowed into that firewall and even allowed into the xp pro firewall with that firewall turned off. I don't know if that firmware changed anything and I didn't change the firmware. I had the same ip for years and it has worked fine for years with ip changes when I had DSL.

When it didn't work, my son tried to portforward it and that didn't help either. Since the firmware change, it doesn't say I am on the DMZ like it used to say on the front.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Radmin Viewer is a simple client. It initiates an outbound connection to the Radmin Server. You should not need any port forwards or to be in the DMZ in order to initiate a connection to the Radmin server. However, certain games might require port forwards or for you to be in the DMZ, but that is unrelated to the problem you're having with Radmin Viewer.

Please answer birdfeedr See Profile's question regarding your current IP address. Only the first two octets are needed. Supplying the first two octets is not a security issue. The concern here is that the ISP where the Radmin server is hosted may have outdated bogon filters that are preventing a connection from your current IP range.

A couple of things to try:
1) Turn on connection logging in the router to see if your connection attempt is getting out.
Firewall Settings; Security Log; Settings; Check Accepted Outgoing Connections and Connection States; Apply

2) Try is turning your router off for at least 2 hours or even overnight. When you turn it back on, you "should" get a different IP address which might be in a different IP range.
flo1356
Fair Lawn, NJ

flo1356

Hello

The first two sets of numbers are 173.70

I do not see the connection going out from the router following the instructions from 1 above.

I do see the outgoing connection from the Norton firewall though.

The ip filters are turned off on the server.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Since the router is what changed, make sure you have

log into the router, click on the firewall setting Icon ( list of icons at the top of the main page ) make sure your NOT set to Maximum Security as that would block most outbound traffic ( try Typical Security or minimum )

If that doesn't help, and with the router set to minimum security, turn off Norton

Hopefully this will get you going
flo1356
Fair Lawn, NJ

flo1356

Hello
I had tried turning off norton also. As a test, my son got a free 30 day trial of the radmin server and I was able to connect to heis server. The little box asking for username and password came up. Of course this is a newer version of the server than my friend has, but I think it shows my viewer works. My son has Optimum, so different set of ips.

I mentioned those bogon filters to my friend by email, but he is away for the weekend. Don't know how old his version of radmin he has, but it is used for all the isp's customers, so he's not about going to get a newer version just for me.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

Bogon issue is not applicable since the address block 173.64.0.0 to 173.79.255.255 was allocated to ARIN in 2008, and apparently put in service by Verizon in 2010. It should be a well-known address.

You did well to diagnose the fact your router and firewall do not appear to be blocking your access to another radmin server. Connecting to your son's server proves the block is not at your end.

The fact that you can traceroute to your friend's server, and can access the games in a normal manner indicates the route is not being blocked between you and his server. Yet something has changed to block the radmin access which previously worked before your IP address changed.

I think it's a configuration on your friend's server that is blocking access.
flo1356
Fair Lawn, NJ

flo1356

If I could only convince my friend of that. Maybe today's email will help after he get's back from his weekend away and gets to talk to his friend that owns the ISP where the server is located. He did say he was going to try and connect to it from where he is this weekend, so he would be sending it from a different ip than his isp uses. I hope he remembers to try it, but I won't know anything till Mon. after he comes back home and lets me know. He's out in CA on an island where he lives and I'm out here in NJ.
flo1356

flo1356

Hello

Still no luck connecting to the Radmin server so I can admin the game. My friend and his ISP friend feel the problem is still on my end. But now his ISP friend has gone to Ontario. I wonder if he will try and connect to the server from where he is. If he tries and can't connect, then I guess that would prove the problem is at his end. My friend has company this week until Friday also, so I guess nothing will happen. He did send in a tech support ticket to Radmin, but I don't know just what he mentioned about my problem. What I have tried to do to fix it etc. Radmin company replied that I should uninstall Radmin Viewer, and then run a purge cache which would result most likely in me having to reformat. It would get rid of all my .dlls in my puter from what I saw in Google. How could that be a problem if I can connect to my son's test server. I'm going to wait till next week and see if he will d/l a test server and see if I can connect to the test server. Don't know if he can d/l a test server though.