spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bobr1941

@shawcable.net

FM radio discontinued

Shaw claims to value it's customers yet yesterday morning they discontinue rebroacasting FM radio,
No notice nothing, I call them and the CSR had no idea either radio had been cut off.
Thanks Shaw I'm glad I'm so valuable

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
Couple weeks ago, FM radio in Calgary was turned off.

I called to confirm, to verify it wasn't something I had done, or my equipment.

'To make the internet better' after advising that the modems do not and can not use the FM radio frequency range - 88 MHz to 107MHz, the responce I received was, but we needed the space, to use with other frequency ranges, because they were ran out of room. That ~20MHz of space they needed to use in another range. All I could do at that response was shake my head. So I gave up.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to bobr1941
I still have it in Victoria.

I could understand them moving it to digital to free up bandwidth. IE telus offers radio stations via their guide.

Shaw just moved a bunch of analog channels to digital. That freed up alot of bandwidth. Did they really need to remove FM?

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Ok, I stand corrected,

The modems can use 88MHz to 1000MHz

For some reason I had been thinking the modems were not able to tune below 300MHz (I thought they were UHF only).

-Posted from my phone.

molfert

join:2002-02-19
Calgary, AB
reply to bobr1941
With the advent of Internet Radio is this really needed?

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
My home-entertainment center, doesn't have a computer, and FM was the most power-efficient, no other devices had to be on.

This is not something many entertainment systems have - internet radio, and the quality is not that good on ones that I have seen/used/tested.

If the FM stations were provided over QAM, I would consider it, but they are not, GalaxyMusic is not good enough.

Time to connect my Sirius receiver to my stereo again.
--

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to bobr1941
I'm guessing it breaks down like this:

1. A very small "niche" group uses the FM re-broadcast.
1a. FM is still available over the air.
2. A larger % of customers use the internet service daily.
3. More customers was speedier internet than FM re-broadcast.
4. Shaw, as a public company that needs a large number of customers to survive and pay for its infrastructure and services, makes the 'smart' move to please the largest numbers of customers on the service that is most competitive. (Internet)
5. No other competitors offer FM re-broadcasting, and FM re-broadcasting wasn't a paid service so it was a value-add.

I understand completely the how and why they are emotional and upset about this. We all would be if a service we use, rely on, and love goes away. In the face of competition companies often have to make choices we don't like. An example: I'm not super happy that soft drinks were switched to HFCS instead of cane sugar in the 70s, but they did.

I think we all have to follow that Shaw made the best decision for the majority of the customers they service. The good news is that almost all FM stations these days have an internet radio stream (prob 128kbps mp3), and a relatively cheap unit like a Boxee Box could provide this to your receiver.

Edit: I'm trying to say that I really do sympathize, but this is progress. Something old and loved always gets abandoned.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
Agreed

I'm not sure how many customers were using the FM re-transmission, I'm not sure many ever did.

That and the cost of maintaining the equipment.

Actually most other competitors offer the FM stations,

Bell/Telus Satellite and Shaw Direct for example,

Shaw Direct has 54 FM station rebroadcasts
Bell/Telus Satellite has 40 I believe
--

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2
said by kevinds:

Agreed

I'm not sure how many customers were using the FM re-transmission, I'm not sure many ever did.

That and the cost of maintaining the equipment.

Actually most other competitors offer the FM stations,

Bell/Telus Satellite and Shaw Direct for example,

Shaw Direct has 54 FM station rebroadcasts
Bell/Telus Satellite has 40 I believe

A digital version, you mean? But not an FM version?

hdpoint
Lethbridge, Alberta

join:2009-03-02
Canada
reply to bobr1941
At any rate, there seems to be more options now than FM cable.
- Satellite radio
- Galaxie: 60 music channels now on Shaw.
- Internet streaming
- Digital audio players
- Local radio

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to ravenchilde
Needing a terminal to listen to yes,

But carrying the FM stations to customers.

Shaw Cable was carrying them, but not broadcasting them either.

-Posted from my phone.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to hdpoint
Yes, there are many options.

Each person has to find what will work best for them.

For some the FM cable stations were the best, now have to go to the next bst for them.

-Posted from my phone.

WhatUTalkin

@shawcable.net
reply to kevinds
said by kevinds:

'To make the internet better' after advising that the modems do not and can not use the FM radio frequency range - 88 MHz to 107MHz

Yes modems are able to lock to a downstream channel in this range. The frequencies are actually UHF CH's 95-99 (UHF 91-120 MHz ). And yes, there are now additional internet downstream carriers in this band.