Re: Texas woman hit with $1.3 million-plus hydro bill

"Got my nuclear bill today, and I practically had a meltdown!"

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Moffetts:

Ok that made me choke on laugher while my wife was watching her soaps. Even after I explained to her, she doesn't get it.

Women....
said by OmenQ:

Texas is on a separate grid from the rest of the USA. We generate and consume our own electricity. We also use more than any other state, and produce it by and large with home-grown resources. Our rates are low too, I pay about 9-10 cents/kwh, and we pay less than that at work.

5.36 cents a kilowatt here in Quebec. All Hydroelectricity.
/nose-up-snob

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn

Anon

At least we don't have a 15% sales tax on everything.

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

2 edits

1 recommendation

whizkid3 to Pauly

MVM

to Pauly
said by Pauly:

Texas woman hit with $1.3 million-plus hydro bill

$1.3 million!

Holy Jeez. What was she doing with all that water? Did she have a leak in her main?
said by Pauly:

u guys don't call it hydro in the states? didn't know that

Sure you did. One can easily go back and see your repeated posts about the very same subject; where using the word hydro for electricity, apparently gets you excited. It goes on for at least 10 pages, if not 100:

»/nsear ··· 55145816

You have been told by now, by likely dozens of people, that you live in one of the few places in the world, (or the only place in the world), where people commonly - but mistakenly - call electricity 'hydro'. In fact, the only real reason you posted here, is so you could throw around the word 'hydro'.

Honestly, if I had my way, the mods would lock this.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to aannoonn

to aannoonn
said by aannoonn :

At least we don't have a 15% sales tax on everything.

That's low! That was really really low!
And food with 6+ servings has no sales tax! Except our alcohol, which has a 300% sales tax, but that's only because they prefer that we eat more.
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

moes to Pauly

Premium Member

to Pauly
I was in canada a few years ago and was talking to a buddy and called it electric and I thought he'd have a melt down on the spot heh, seems to him at least it's a taboo word that should not be used.
cjski
The Wheel Weaves As The Wheel Will
Premium Member
join:2001-01-04
Sun City, CA

cjski to Moffetts

Premium Member

to Moffetts
said by Moffetts:

Still LOL'ing...

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

1 recommendation

mattmag to whizkid3

to whizkid3
said by whizkid3:

said by Pauly:

u guys don't call it hydro in the states? didn't know that

Sure you did. One can easily go back and see your repeated posts about the very same subject; where using the word hydro for electricity, apparently gets you excited. It goes on for at least 10 pages, if not 100:

My *EXACT* thoughts as well.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to Pauly

to Pauly
So then since I am in Las Vegas, I have a Hydro, coal, gas, and solar bill?

No wonder ours is called Nevada Energy.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix

Re: Texas woman hit with $1.3 million-plus electric bill

And do we call it an edison (or more properly Tesela) bill? no because that'd be silly.

Actually Steve's right. We do call it an Edison bill in SoCal (those in Southern California Edison territory anyway).

-- Rob

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by djrobx:

And do we call it an edison (or more properly Tesela) bill? no because that'd be silly.

Actually Steve's right. We do call it an Edison bill in SoCal (those in Southern California Edison territory anyway).

-- Rob

Same here in Virginia. It formally was "VEPCO" bill now it's "DOMINION" bill. It's rarely ever referred to as electric bill. So what's the big deal of calling it HYDRO? IMO it's Just something to gang up on him for?

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

Do you refer to the commodity as VEPCO?

Imagine the following exclamation:
"Oh no! The VEPCO went out! Now I won't be able to use my VEPCO oven, I'll have to BBQ instead."

Inane, yes.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by Cho Baka:

Do you refer to the commodity as VEPCO?

Imagine the following exclamation:
"Oh no! The VEPCO went out! Now I won't be able to use my VEPCO oven, I'll have to BBQ instead."

Inane, yes.

It would be more like "Oh no! The power went out". Now we can't use the oven. This nit-picking is degenerating to the childish level.
What possible difference does it make to you if we call it hydro or electron usage? You can call it whatever you want and I and others will call it what we want.

Time for the mods to close this nonsense out.

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

1 recommendation

Steve

said by Jack_in_VA:

What possible difference does it make to you if we call it hydro or electron usage? You can call it whatever you want and I and others will call it what we want.

It's true that these threads all descend into nonsense, but there's a rationale for objecting to "hydro".

Generally speaking, you can refer to a business by its name or its product, and it depends on circumstance which one you use.

If you're in the local service area of the business, where everybody knows who they are, you can use either one: "I got my Hydro bill" or "I got my electric bill" are all the same to your neighbors.

But if you're outside the local service area, where not everybody knows who they are, you're generally more considerate to your audience to refer to them by the product or service.

Yes, people will figure it out eventually by context, but it's simply making it harder to get the message across when you use a name that not everybody knows. It's about respecting your readers by increasing clarity.

If I tell my neighbor "I'm headed to Esther's", he knows exactly what I'm talking about, but if I do that here, you'll have to work a little harder to figure out that I'm headed to the local Mexican restaurant for a beer.

Steve

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

That's true Steve and I tend to agree with you that for clarity the proper name should be used but.....the very ones having an issue are the same ones that's had an issue for the many months that the "Hydro" word has been tossed around on this Home Improvement forum. Every one of us knows what "Hydro" is referring to when our neighbors in Canada use it.

I still believe this thread has degenerated into childish nonsense.

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

Steve

said by Jack_in_VA:

Every one of us knows what "Hydro" is referring to when our neighbors in Canada use it.

No, that's not true.

Sure, the regulars all know this (I certainly did), but for everybody who posts, there are dozens of others who are lurkers, or those who find it due to a Google/Bingle search, who won't have all the context that the regulars do, and a lack of clarity makes it harder for them to understand.

Some people write in a forum and it's only about themselves, but those who are most helpful around here (as I am in Security), never address just the OP or the post we're replying to, but to the wider readership.

Steve

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Good point Steve.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn to Steve

Anon

to Steve
said by Steve:

If I tell my neighbor "I'm headed to Esther's", he knows exactly what I'm talking about, but if I do that here, you'll have to work a little harder to figure out that I'm headed to the local Mexican restaurant for a beer.

We know you really mean »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Es ··· aracter)
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY

gadgetboyj to djrobx

Premium Member

to djrobx
said by djrobx:

-- Rob

Where I am, the electric company is called "Con Edision" and everyone here refers to it as the "ConEd Bill".

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08 to Pauly

Premium Member

to Pauly

Did someone leave the water on?
Expand your moderator at work

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 edit

ropeguru to Pauly

Premium Member

to Pauly

NM

jed
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Alberta, Can

jed to Pauly

Premium Member

to Pauly
Its only called "hydro" in the center of the universe. Out West, we've the same vernacular as you Americans. We get an electric bill, a gas bill, and a town bill.

Then the bill for extra bandwidth pr0n comes in - that one scares the shit out of me.

I lied, at this time, we don't have any UBB crap like the Easterners do. Its frankly, pretty damned awesome here near the Rockies!

Nick_L
Premium Member
join:2003-01-22
Pittsburgh, PA

Nick_L

Premium Member

I'll probably be chastised for asking, but what's a "town" bill? Local taxes? Water and sewer? Road maintenance?

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix

As a former con edison customer, it does not sound unusual to pay an edison bill.
AVD

AVD to gadgetboyj

Premium Member

to gadgetboyj
said by gadgetboyj:

said by djrobx:

-- Rob

Where I am, the electric company is called "Con Edision" and everyone here refers to it as the "ConEd Bill".

does it include natural gas?

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO
·Comcast XFINITY

jchambers28 to Pauly

Premium Member

to Pauly

Click for full size
power around here come from

wind
nuclear 1 and 2
nat gas
coal

here is a picture of Arkansas nuclear one. My power company buys power from Arkansas nuclear one.

Total capacity of this plant is 1.776 GW of power.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

Then you probaly had a meltdown when you saw your last nuke bill?

Another thoguht for you guys. here the local hydro guys went down to the states during the storms and stuff, and fixed up all the poles and wires down there. The guys said they were very "accepted" by the americans, and instead of asking "what the heck does hydro mean" they were saying "thanks for the help, where are you guys from" and all the trucks had signage on it that said "Toronto Hydro", "Hydro One", "Milton Hydro" , "Oakville Hydro". Apparently they didnt have aproblem with it, only you guys do for some reason? I have no problem if an Edison truck came up here to fix our broken hydro poles and help string new hydro lines, infact i will thank Edison Cons for their helps. and may even interview them on the news
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY

gadgetboyj to AVD

Premium Member

to AVD

said by AVD:

does it include natural gas?

It doesn't, natural gas is provided by National Grid, formerly Keyspan.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
MVM,
join:2001-01-27
22152-1106

1 recommendation

grobinette to Pauly

MVM,

to Pauly

Jeez guys this is like arguing over whether it is pop, soda or coke.
It depends on which part of the country you are from.