davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none
reply to Viper677

Re: A/C breaker issue

said by Viper677:

A 15A breaker for a 2.5 ton unit is definitely an undersized breaker situation. Jesus, you put your regular lightening, receptacles (approx. 12) on a 15 amp breaker not an entire air conditioning unit.

If i were you, i would stop going electrical work and maybe get into landscaping.

I have two options here. I either go back and forth with someone who is probably an apprentice (calling himself a master electrician) or is possibly certified by Google (God bless the internet) OR I go with my years and years of experience. I think I go with option 2.

and this post is exactly why a home inspector is not supposed to cite code violations. that chart you linked earlier looks like one that comes off a portable generator sizing chart, which does give very general sizing info.

Nunya and Whizkid3, you guys just need to throw out those large bulky NEC code books since you only ever need a simple chart!
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

Viper677
Certified Home Inspector

join:2012-03-22
Toronto

that chart you linked earlier looks like one that comes off a portable generator sizing chart, which does give very general sizing info.

You are dead wrong.
--
Certified Home Inspector
Certified Level 1 Thermographer

brodgers

join:2006-03-20
Gillett, WI
How about you post who your "very reliable source" is then?

MOPD

@mycingular.net
reply to Viper677
You probably shouldn't be giving advice or trying to discredit experts in their fields. Nonetheless, many here seem to think, as you do, that Google makes them experts in all things.

The manufacturers of A/C equipment have already calculated the minimum circuit ampacity and the maximum over current protective device for the equipment. I can guarantee you they didn't use your little chart.