uniqs
share rss forum feed

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to telcodad

Re: 3D TV dying

Of course, none of this is TRUE 3D. It's just a fixed left/right image from one viewpoint. It will look the same no matter where you are sitting.

What I'm waiting for is the true 3D that changes as you move around!!

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:6

Yes, "True 3D" TV would be what's also called "Holographic TV." Today's 3D TV is actually only "Stereographic TV" that produces just an illusion of depth.

Here are some articles about it:

Forget 3DTV Holographic TV Is The Next Big Thing
By Steve Sanger, WorldTVPC - May 31, 2010
»www.worldtvpc.com/blog/forget-3d···-tv-big/

Holographic TV
Squidoo - March 2010
»www.squidoo.com/holographictv

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to andyross

said by andyross:

LG has been pushing non-active glasses 3D. But, it cuts vertical resolution in half. We'll have to wait for double-res TV's for that to become realistic.

I don't see why that wouldn't be impossible. I mean the new MacBook with Retina display is 2800x1800 I believe and they cram that in a 15" screen. Then the new iPad is 2048x1536 in only 10 inches! Could you imagine that extrapolated to a 50" screen? That would be billions of pixels!

Display technology has really come along in smartphones and tablets. It's time to take what they learned and apply that to TV.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

It's all about $$$. As mentioned, there are some UHDTV's, but they are very expen$ive right now. It isn't that simple to scale up to such a large screen, especially in the kind of volume needed.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to andyross

Not surprisingly, according to a study just released by J.D. Power, the current 3D TV technology is still not finding much interest among consumers:

Consumers Show Little Interest in 3DTV
Study shows little connection between 3D and HDTV purchases

TV Technology - August 28, 2012
»www.tvtechnology.com/news/0110/c···v/215153

The J.D. Power press release: »www.jdpower.com/content/press-re···port.htm

kweq9

@wideopenwest.com
reply to andyross

3d dying is cuz its too soon & people arent buying it so that they can get no content channels .

hd is whats in & companies arent getting it done fast enuf & some channels arent catching up quick enuf .

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

Yes, it looks like 3D is not selling (new) TVs as the manufacturers had hoped. They are now focusing on the new 4K U-HDTV technology to get people to buy new sets:

What If They Gave A Party, But No One Came?
By Pete Putman, HDTVExpert.com - October 11, 2012
»www.hdtvexpert.com/?p=2446

GTFan

join:2004-12-03

Yet another marketdroid attempt to hype a tech that won't see the light of day anytime soon, at least not in any widespread or usable form.

Ya gotta love the HDTV industry, 90% of it is hype for marginally useful 'features' now.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

Not surprisingly, according to a study just released by J.D. Power, the current 3D TV technology is still not finding much interest among consumers:

The progression of 3D TV looks similar to the progression of surround sound.

Surround sound started in the 1970's on the consumer side and, while there were some "wows", demand never really grew into a sustainable demand.

Surround Sound The Sequel, i.e., the 5.1 and 7.1 formats we have today, are much better received than the original 4.0 quadraphonic sound. While the addition of the subwoofer (".1") helped make the other speakers smaller and more acceptable in one's living areas, the real boost came from technology delivering a better surround sound experience, i.e., the addition of video to audio, creating surround sound movies.

imo, 3D TV nowadays is the video equivalent of the four channel quadraphonic sound of the 1970's. A cool concept, but maybe a concept that is early, a concept where the contextual technology needs to catch up and provide the compelling need to generate the demand.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

There is one, glasses-free, 3DTV technology that looks somewhat promising to me (and it works best with 4K U-HDTV) - "Ultra-D" by Stream TV Networks: »www.prnewswire.com/news-releases···786.html

Here is a hands-on review of it: »www.gadgetreview.com/2012/08/han···ech.html

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

Looks like the 3D network "3net" (»www.3net.com/about) is trying to revive 3D TV however:

3net Partners Launch 3net Studios
Global production arm will develop 3D and 4K content

By George Winslow, Broadcasting & Cable - October 16, 2012
»www.broadcastingcable.com/articl···dios.php

and:

3Net creating 3D production and distribution studio
By By Joe Flint, Los Angeles Times - October 16, 2012
»www.latimes.com/entertainment/en···47.story

But as that article says: "Many of the big distributors including Time Warner Cable and Comcast Corp. do not yet carry 3Net. It is available on DirecTV."

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

FYI - Latest news on 3Net Studios:

3net Studios Preps First 4K TV Series
Its first production slate includes both 3D and 4K projects

By George Winslow, Broadcasting & Cable - November 14, 2012
»www.broadcastingcable.com/articl···ries.php

EDIT: Some more info on the Multichannel News site:

3Net Studios Unveils Inaugural Slate, Higlighted by First 4K TV Series
'Space' Among Projects at JV's Production Arm

By Mike Reynolds, Multichannel News - November 14, 2012
»www.multichannel.com/programming···s/140286

AnnaS8

join:2005-05-26
Annapolis, MD
reply to andyross

The problem is just like when you became working age...Can't get a job without a car and can't get a car without a job.

The lack of content is what is hurting 3D TVs just as the lack of HD content is hurting HDTVs. They act like SD TVs can't play HD content. So they hold on to SD content. I think they should just drop all the SD content and only have HD content. I really don't see the point in keeping the SD.

3net is amazing. I have a bunch of content for it on my Sony 3D TV. I can't get it for Comcast which I think is really a shame. I have emailed them about it several times about it and I just get the usual PR response about how they are looking into all avenues of content for their customers...blah...blah...blah. Which means don't hold your breath cuz it isn't coming anytime soon.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to andyross

The question comes does 3D actually add anything at all to TV?

I cannot imagine anything TV can match up to say seeing Avatar in IMAX 3D.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

AnnaS8

join:2005-05-26
Annapolis, MD

said by Kearnstd:

Well I have yet to see anything in IMAX 3D so I can't compare that unfortunately. I can say that I can't really tell any difference with Avatar in non IMAX 3D. Though I wouldn't call myself a videofile either.

gwilliam

join:2010-03-20

I think 3D content is better to watch the movie theaters than for home entertainment unless you can afford to have mini movie theater room in your house.

mrschultz02

join:2007-09-10
Media, PA
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

Avatar looks amazing in 3D at home. The color and clarity are much better than at the theater (at least better than the IMAX I saw it at). And the 3D looks just as good. That's sitting about 5 feet away from a 46 inch screen and with a good surround sound system.

So it can be great, it's just that most of the content available isn't as good as Avatar. 3D has been generally available for what, 2 years now, and there are still only a handful of really good 3D Blu-Rays. And only one that really matches Avatar for the use of 3D, I'd place Hugo above Avatar because it's a better movie and the 3D is amazing. That pretty much it, there's probably 4 or 5 that are a step below those 2, and 15 or 20 I've watched and been disappointed with.

The really sad thing is the few old movies that have come out look better than a lot of the new stuff. Dial M For Murder looks great in 3D.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

Comcast will be carrying 3D programs from 3net starting next week:

3net Adds Comcast to Affiliate Roster
Service Set to Launch for Xfinity TV Subs on Jan. 28

By Mike Reynolds, Multichannel News - January 23, 2013
»www.multichannel.com/distributio···r/141350

Comcast Guy

join:2008-01-16