how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Paralipsis

join:2012-06-22
Marion, IN

[Internet] DOCSIS 3.0

Any news on when BH will allow user-owned DOCSIS 3.0 modems on the standard or turbo plans? Even just a ballpark figure?

I bought an SB6141 after seeing it on their approved modems list only to be told I couldn't use it after calling. Wondering if I should return it or just keep it if they're going to allow it soon.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148

I'm hoping to have an update on this soon. That's all I can offer at the moment.

AllPhuquedUp

join:2010-12-10
Auburndale, FL
reply to Paralipsis

Did they provide a reason as to why they couldn't add it? I know there was a point in time that there was a configuration issue with some of the D3 modems, but, that's been resolved for a while now.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

said by AllPhuquedUp:

Did they provide a reason as to why they couldn't add it? I know there was a point in time that there was a configuration issue with some of the D3 modems, but, that's been resolved for a while now.

Who said anything about not adding it? I said I will have an update soon.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6

Soon ™

lol couldn't resist sorry

Paralipsis

join:2012-06-22
Marion, IN
reply to AllPhuquedUp

The guy I talked to said it was incompatible with their systems and that he wasn't sure when it would be resolved.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by Paralipsis:

The guy I talked to said it was incompatible with their systems and that he wasn't sure when it would be resolved.

That is NOT correct. Has nothing to do with that at all. I will have an update soon enough on the approved modems list.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

janderso1
Jim
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-15
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Paralipsis

What is the advantage of buying your own modem? I currently have Brighthouse digital cable and am upgrading to a plan that includes digital phone and Internet. The price also includes a MTA(modem) which provides both Internet and digital phone connectivity.
--
Jim Anderson

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Paralipsis

There isn't any despite what might claim other than maybe saving $2.00 per month BUT...one shocked or failed modem eats up what you might have saved for 2+ years.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6

I can only assume it can't be too far off for BHN since Time Warner only within the last couple months or so started allowing customer owned modems (even D3 ones) as long as it was on the approved modems list. The moto SB6141 is one of them on that list too.

But still though I always tell people in the road runner forum that ask questions about customer owned modems to just stick with renting one because what if you have a problem, the first thing they would blame would be your equipment and if your modem ever goes bad you have to pay XX amount of money to buy a new one. If you stick with renting your equipment gets replaced for free.
--
»www.akaskriller.com - Your ultimate source for all android needs.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by CptGemini:

I can only assume it can't be too far off for BHN since Time Warner only within the last couple months or so started allowing customer owned modems (even D3 ones) as long as it was on the approved modems list. The moto SB6141 is one of them on that list too.

But still though I always tell people in the road runner forum that ask questions about customer owned modems to just stick with renting one because what if you have a problem, the first thing they would blame would be your equipment and if your modem ever goes bad you have to pay XX amount of money to buy a new one. If you stick with renting your equipment gets replaced for free.

Nobody is going to blame anything but if we detect a problem with the device it will be something you get fixed if you use your own modem....otherwise we take care of it all.
--

XenithOrb
Premium
join:2003-06-06
Palm Coast, FL

1 edit
reply to Paralipsis

I want you to talk more about this...

I'm curious as to why the SB6121 isn't on the list of approved modems; it's structurally and technically identical to the SB6141 with the small exception of it (probably though firmware) only allowing 4 downstream channels to be bonded rather than the 8 on the SB6141. On a non-bonded service like Turbo, why do you care?

The people I spoke to at tech support to get it activated were really bone headed about it not being on the "Authorized modems" list, despite me visually being able to see through its configuration page that it was pulling a fine signal and was ready to be integrated on the network. MACs were set, the only thing preventing this person was a silly checkbox on his computer screen and the fear of losing his job. (It literally would have worked no differently than SB6141 which is approved wtf?) Why are you concerned that I'm not able to bond 8 downstream channels ( 4 is good enough for 160Mb/s downstream btw ) on a 20Mb/s non-bonded service?

»i.imgur.com/A9JWy.jpg Note specs are nearly identical notwithstanding bonded capabilities.

Also, contrary to what someone else said on the 22nd, the tech jockey told me that if I were to go out and buy the SB6141 and wanted to use that I could, because it was "authorized"; I made sure to bring up "Even if I'm 'only' on the turbo plan?" and he assured me that this was the case and he would be able to get it working. Do they even know the real story about this? Who's right?

An extra $2 guaranteed from every customer is a huge deal for a subscription service, and it looks like you don't allow any modem that a typical person would be able to find in department stores (Walmart, target, bestbuy etc. I've looked at them all). The only rational explanation given that they're DOCSIS 2/3 compatible; some of which are only slightly neutered versions of the ones that are allowed, is that the company has interests in people renting their modems. True or not, this is how it seems, after investing the time to search for something that's compatible with this network.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by XenithOrb:

I want you to talk more about this...

I'm curious as to why the SB6121 isn't on the list of approved modems; it's structurally and technically identical to the SB6141 with the small exception of it (probably though firmware) only allowing 4 downstream channels to be bonded rather than the 8 on the SB6141. On a non-bonded service like Turbo, why do you care?

The people I spoke to at tech support to get it activated were really bone headed about it not being on the "Authorized modems" list, despite me visually being able to see through its configuration page that it was pulling a fine signal and was ready to be integrated on the network. MACs were set, the only thing preventing this person was a silly checkbox on his computer screen and the fear of losing his job. (It literally would have worked no differently than SB6141 which is approved wtf?) Why are you concerned that I'm not able to bond 8 downstream channels ( 4 is good enough for 160Mb/s downstream btw ) on a 20Mb/s non-bonded service?

»i.imgur.com/A9JWy.jpg Note specs are nearly identical notwithstanding bonded capabilities.

Also, contrary to what someone else said on the 22nd, the tech jockey told me that if I were to go out and buy the SB6141 and wanted to use that I could, because it was "authorized"; I made sure to bring up "Even if I'm 'only' on the turbo plan?" and he assured me that this was the case and he would be able to get it working. Do they even know the real story about this? Who's right?

An extra $2 guaranteed from every customer is a huge deal for a subscription service, and it looks like you don't allow any modem that a typical person would be able to find in department stores (Walmart, target, bestbuy etc. I've looked at them all). The only rational explanation given that they're DOCSIS 2/3 compatible; some of which are only slightly neutered versions of the ones that are allowed, is that the company has interests in people renting their modems. True or not, this is how it seems, after investing the time to search for something that's compatible with this network.

I'm not going to talk more about this yet for the very reason I have stated above. Sorry. When we're ready the list will be made available to you and everyone else. Thanks for being patient.
--

AnnonBH

@sunwave.com.br

I'm a huge SB6121 advocate. This has got to be the best cable modem I have ever had, stable plenty fast. I'm currently using my own purchased SB6121 on BH Turbo. When I called to activate it all they asked me for was my MAC address 5 minutes later my SB6121 was online and kicking butt. They didn't even ask me the make and model or say anything about "The Approved Modems List". My Question is this , Does BH have different protocols for different service areas when it comes to customer owned modems ? Or am I just lucky my local BH office allowed me to use my own SB6121 ?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by AnnonBH :

I'm a huge SB6121 advocate. This has got to be the best cable modem I have ever had, stable plenty fast. I'm currently using my own purchased SB6121 on BH Turbo. When I called to activate it all they asked me for was my MAC address 5 minutes later my SB6121 was online and kicking butt. They didn't even ask me the make and model or say anything about "The Approved Modems List". My Question is this , Does BH have different protocols for different service areas when it comes to customer owned modems ? Or am I just lucky my local BH office allowed me to use my own SB6121 ?

Up until recently each had their own guidelines...that is being standardized right now upon which a universal list and process will apply to all.
--

XenithOrb
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
reply to AnnonBH

In otherwords, get ready to have to buy a new modem or accept their rental.
SB6121 doesn't look like it made the cut. Sorry bro.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by XenithOrb:

In otherwords, get ready to have to buy a new modem or accept their rental.
SB6121 doesn't look like it made the cut. Sorry bro.

The list hasn't been made available to anyone yet....stop assuming things please. I'll let you know when THE list is actually available and when. Thanks.
--

XenithOrb
Premium
Palm Coast, FL

I'm just going off being told to shove my SB6121 where the sun doesn't shine.

It's not your fault, there's nothing you can do about it. I am, in fact awaiting your list.

As for the guy currently running the SB6121; Is it speculatory to assume that he's going to be kicked off an not grandfathered in? Yeah it is. Unlikely? Probably not.

A lot of things seems to be up in the air about this right now anyway, so the possibilities are endless. Happy monday ispgeek!

scanman1

join:2010-11-25
reply to Paralipsis

I recently had an account issue that required setting up a new account for my service.

Since I was already on the line with local technical support, I asked if I could transfer my account to my D3 Cisco DPC-3000 modem.

They didn't have any problem doing this over the phone at all.

It took them all of 3 minutes to have me read the serial # and MAC off the label of the modem.

Switched out the old D2 rented modem and I was online in a matter of minutes.

I then took the rented modem to the BH office payment window and turned it in and was given a receipt.
This process was also took all of 5 minutes.

By the time I got back home, the modem was flashed with a newer firmware than I had on there from when I used it several years ago with Comcast before I moved into BH coverage area.

Even though I don't have a lightning plan (Turbo), the modem is bonding all 4 channels up/down.

Current Software Revision: dpc3000-v303r2391-100209a
Cable Modem Status: Operational

Downstream Channels

Power Level Signal to Noise Ratio
Channel 0: 0.8 dBmV 36.2 dBmV
Channel 1: 0.0 dBmV 35.8 dBmV
Channel 2: 0.3 dBmV 35.4 dBmV
Channel 3: 0.2 dBmV 35.6 dBmV

Upstream Channels

Power Level
Channel 0: 47.0000 dBmV
Channel 1: 44.5000 dBmV
Channel 2: 44.5000 dBmV
Channel 3: 47.0000 dBmV

Guide_Tim

join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to Paralipsis

Congratulations on being allowed to use your own D3 Cable Modem on your Turbo Plan With the D3 Channel Bonding you will notice Better Speeds and over all stability compared to BH provided D2 Modems for Turbo Plans and below. Some Might Argue That you get the same speeds weather you use D2 Modem or D3 Modem. In my opinion the channel Bonding lets your "Turbo Boost - a short burst of speed" really shine Alot of D3 Modems use Gigabit LAN Ethernet Ports that helps gets those snappier speeds. Long Live DOCSIS 3.0
--
Bakersfield Region Taft CA Brighthouse Customer Since 2003

scanman1

join:2010-11-25

4 edits

said by Guide_Tim:

Congratulations on being allowed to use your own D3 Cable Modem on your Turbo Plan With the D3 Channel Bonding you will notice Better Speeds and over all stability compared to BH provided D2 Modems for Turbo Plans and below. Some Might Argue That you get the same speeds weather you use D2 Modem or D3 Modem. In my opinion the channel Bonding lets your "Turbo Boost - a short burst of speed" really shine Alot of D3 Modems use Gigabit LAN Ethernet Ports that helps gets those snappier speeds. Long Live DOCSIS 3.0

With the channel bonding, I do think that I have faster speeds with the MaxTrafficBurst setting that they have provisioned me with.

Yet, if there is no congestion on the single channel that the D2 modem was using, this would not hold true.

Snippet from the top of my actual current running config file:

quote:
NetworkAccess 1;
UsServiceFlow
{
UsServiceFlowRef 1;
QosParamSetType 7;
SchedulingType 2;
MaxRateSustained 2150400;
MaxTrafficBurst 3044;
MaxConcatenatedBurst 3044;
IpTosOverwrite 0x0000;
}
DsServiceFlow
{
DsServiceFlowRef 5;
QosParamSetType 7;
MaxRateSustained 21504000;
MaxTrafficBurst 10000000;
GenericTLV TlvCode 27 TlvLength 4 TlvValue 0x01e00000;
}

When Turbo boost is active, the configuration is EXACTLY:
Down Speed = 31504000 (31.5 Mbps)
Up Speed = 2153444 (2.15 Mbps)

So BH is giving a bit extra for overhead. Nice of them to do that.

The real question in the back of my mind is why the lightning package is not available to user owned modems, if the modem is D3 capable and the channels are already bonded.

All it takes is for BH to modify the values in the config file that is sent to that modem type from the CMTS.

Either they support the modem, or they do not. There is no middle ground.
When a customer provided modem is brought onto the network, the ISP immediately TFTP flashes a firmware that they have tested with the CMTS that they are using.