uniqs
share rss forum feed

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to Krisnatharok

Re: Troubleshooting a PSU

Thanks for that one, it's a little different from a multi-meter. Also unless your in tech or computer repairs, you wouldn't even need to think of how to set up a test bed for loading parts.

Although an old computer laying around and try the power supply out to see if it is repeated might help; but then not everyone has a half dozen old boxes with no use for them that can afford to risk "live" testing. I always thought they would go to a good home, but with win 7 on the scene, they seem like wasted space sitting in the corner.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

1 edit
So I ended up rebuilding my friend's computer. The mobo was definitely dead. The old PSU would power-on but I wasn't going to hook anything up to it lest it blow up more components. He's supremely happy with it and told me that it was the computer he should have gotten two years ago. At least he's learned his lesson about taking shifty salesmen at their word and double-checking that he gets what he pays for.

As a recap, here's what he was promised:
- Corsair PSU (he got a crappy Kingwin)
- SLI/Crossfire capability (chipset won't support either)
- Crucial ram (mixture of ADATA and something that looked like this)

Also of note is that the original vendor actually took out one of the two 12cm case fans at the front of the case.

Old Specs:
- MSI 785GM-P45 micro ATX mobo
- Kingwin 750w unrated PSU
- Mixture of ADATA and bargain Crucial memory (no heat spreaders)
- 2x 500 GB HDDs in Raid 1

Here are the computer's specs now:

- Cooler Master HAF912 Case (reused)
- Optical drive (reused)
- Galaxy GTX 560ti (reused)
- AMD Phenom II X6 1055t (reused)
- HDDs: 1x 500 GB (second one from RAID 1 array was toast), 1x 1 TB (external, whose case had died but the HDD was still good)
- GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
- CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
- OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
- Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALX 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
- Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-550 550W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified, Modular Design, Single +12V Rail, ATX12V v2.31/EPS12V v2.92, SLI Ready, CrossFire Ready, Active-PFC Power Supply

I also beefed up the HAF912's case fans from two 12cm to two 20cm, one 12cm, and one 14cm.

Happily, his OEM copy of Win7 Home reinstalled onto the SSD despite nearly everything in the computer (except the CPU and GPU, really) changing, without it requiring a phone call to MS to unlock.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.