share rss forum feed

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to nitzguy

Re: Will rural Ottawa broadband options ever improve?

said by nitzguy:

Back in the day....there was a 1-way cable connection, send out packets over dial-up, receive packets over cable connection....not in the bigger areas, but smaller areas....it has limitations because you could only have 1 computer setup, and had a PCI card in your computer and the card cost I believe about $2-300 dollars...

That was done for satellite broadband too, and it was because they didn't have a return-path, so had to use dialup for that. I'm not talking about that sort of thing, but using both connections in both directions, and dynamically sending packets over one or the other based on need. Think of it like taking QoS and load balancing, merging them together, and putting them on steroids. Dialup is slow, but can do relatively good latency (I saw 150ms pings when I was on dialup). Satellite is fast, but has terrible latency (500ms+). Combine the two and you can get a significantly improved user experience. You'd also want some sort of proxying solution for web stuff, though, to bundle up data before it comes down the pipe.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
said by Guspaz:

said by nitzguy:

Back in the day....there was a 1-way cable connection, send out packets over dial-up, receive packets over cable connection....not in the bigger areas, but smaller areas....it has limitations because you could only have 1 computer setup, and had a PCI card in your computer and the card cost I believe about $2-300 dollars...

That was done for satellite broadband too, and it was because they didn't have a return-path, so had to use dialup for that. I'm not talking about that sort of thing, but using both connections in both directions, and dynamically sending packets over one or the other based on need. Think of it like taking QoS and load balancing, merging them together, and putting them on steroids. Dialup is slow, but can do relatively good latency (I saw 150ms pings when I was on dialup). Satellite is fast, but has terrible latency (500ms+). Combine the two and you can get a significantly improved user experience. You'd also want some sort of proxying solution for web stuff, though, to bundle up data before it comes down the pipe.

I understand what you're saying now....sounds technically complicated lol. It could be, but again, I figure it comes down to economics and is there enough of a market for it....I'm not sure.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Boris19
Oh, I'm sure there's no market for it, although it could be done as an opensource project without any ISP support. You could do it over VPNs too.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

sturbain

join:2012-03-05
Niagara Falls, ON
reply to Boris19
Have you called Xplornet to see what options they have for you. Through much of southern Ontario either Xplornet is building a fixed wireless 4G network, or you can get the new 4G satellite service. I know they are transitioning customers, but maybe call them to get an ETA...

Boris19

join:2006-07-10
K1A2A2
reply to Boris19
So after all that, the Rogers was essentially unusable. I could barely connect at all, and only at speeds much worse than Xplornet. I took it back but they screwed up the cancellation, so I have to go back into the shop tomorrow.

Xplornet mailed me a pamphlet telling me I'm eligible for a 4g fixed-wireless upgrade. Their "ultimate" package has been adjusted apparently, it's now 60 gigs for $89.99, with speeds up to 10 Mbps. I know it won't be anywhere near that, but 60 gigs is much better than either Rogers or Bell, and I already know my location is good for their current fixed-wireless.

grayfox

join:2007-12-10
Whitby, ON
said by Boris19:

So after all that, the Rogers was essentially unusable. I could barely connect at all, and only at speeds much worse than Xplornet. I took it back but they screwed up the cancellation, so I have to go back into the shop tomorrow.

Xplornet mailed me a pamphlet telling me I'm eligible for a 4g fixed-wireless upgrade. Their "ultimate" package has been adjusted apparently, it's now 60 gigs for $89.99, with speeds up to 10 Mbps. I know it won't be anywhere near that, but 60 gigs is much better than either Rogers or Bell, and I already know my location is good for their current fixed-wireless.

I strongly reccomend you call storm before you even consider Xplornet.

b_p_smith
Premium
join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON
reply to Boris19
Ask about "Ultimate Plus". It's unadvertised, but gets you up to 10Mbps with a 100Gig limit for $10 more.

There's also talk of Xplornet soon offering bandwidth "upgrades" for those people who can't get the higher speeds (distance, line of sight, etc) but still want the higher monthly limits. However, I've also heard that this "talk" has been going on for a long time, so maybe don't hold your breath.

My own Xplornet experience is still an adventure (last night, my static IP suddenly decided to become invalid, meaning no connection at all for 3 hours). And because of my distance to the tower, my speeds are less than satisfactory, but still overall more reliable than RipNet was.

Brad.
--
Xplornet WiMAX -} Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH running DD-WRT -} about 13 machines running everything you can think of.

Boris19

K1A2A2
reply to Boris19
I'm extremely lucky in that the tower is less than a kilometre away from the dish (I can see it out the window). As a result, the signal is solid but unspectacular. I can live with that, but it should also mean that the 4G signal would also be solid since it'd be sharing the same tower. I will call them about it and ask about the ultimate plus deal, thanks.

Storm is not available out this way, btw. Their coverage map seems to be exclusively to the west and south of Ottawa.

Jethro86

join:2005-05-27
Winchester, ON
reply to Boris19
And Xplornet bought out Storm anyway did they not? There is no other wireless competitors left in Eastern Ontario as Xplodenet bought them all.

grayfox

join:2007-12-10
Whitby, ON
said by Jethro86:

And Xplornet bought out Storm anyway did they not? There is no other wireless competitors left in Eastern Ontario as Xplodenet bought them all.

That is not entirely accurate.

Xplornet bought some of storms market share and they signed a non-compete agreement when a previous CEO was in charge. They have a new CEO now who from what I understand does not intend to renew it.

The Xplornet installers spread inaccurate and incorrect information that trickled down its way to other people when they were doing the conversions from storm to Xplornet.

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
kudos:1
reply to grayfox
said by grayfox:

Call Storm.ca

There non-compete agreement in some area's with Xplornet ends soon.

Pretty sure it already did.
said by grayfox:

You will see new fast good broadband options in your area soon as well thanks to EORN. Many providers are building out vdsl networks or advanced wireless technologies capable of delivering up to 10 megabits per second of speed.

Problem with the EORN deployment idea is that the remotes are being deployed but the copper on the poles is not being upgraded. 5Mbps is more realistic, and lots of re-syncing.... And the 'City of Ottawa' is excluded from the EORN.

East and South of Ottawa your Fixed Wireless options are xPlornet and Storm. West of Ottawa it's goZoom and xPlornet and 'north' it's Picanoc and Pioneer

Boris19

K1A2A2
According to their wireless coverage map Storm doesn't service anything east of Ottawa.

»storm.ca/residential/internetser···ess.html

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
Depends on your definition of East of Ottawa.

»storm.ca/images/ovs.jpg

jumpingryan

join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON
reply to mlerner
said by mlerner:

Bell no longer offers ISDN to new customers.

As far as broadband in general, the incumbents aren't willing to take the financial risk to roll out rural broadband equivalent to urban service. It doesn't seem too profitable to do unless customers are willing to pay $200+ per month.

As far as I've seen in the past few years, there has been indie providers that have tried and so far almost all of them that serviced rural Ottawa were bought out or went bankrupt.

Funny you mention $200 a month. I am only about 8KM from town and 2-5 KM from Bell DSL high speed (less than 6 KM from NRTCO's Fibre Network which is growing in our area.).

At what I pay for now an Xplornet Sat 5mbs Business connection for general surfing for bandwidth intensive stuff, and a Bell Turbo Hub for connecting to networks that require low latency and quick response (with their outrageous overage charges that I pay for monthly at about 20 to 40 gigs a month), I would be willing to do $400 a month for a 10/1 service with a bandwidth cap of around 250 gigs a month and latency of 100 ms. I would consider it the cost of doing business for the lifestyle that I live........

Wireless options are not available here due to very tall/old trees (one of them in my backyard is over 200 feet and 12 feet in circumference)

And I do have neighbours who would be willing to do the $200 at least for service better than what they have which is generally turbo hub.

So I fit into the category of a customer that understands that somewhat rural living persons may have to pay more..... but unfortunately, nobody wants to do business despite repeated requests for the next 20 to 40 years it seems.... especially Bell.

Ryan

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to bt
said by bt:

Honestly, I'd check to see that you have that somewhere in writing. I simply do NOT trust them to hold to that.

They can't even be trusted to hold to it even if it IS in writing, because built in to every contract/user agreement/AUP/whatever is a clause that states they can change the terms at any time without notice, putting the onus on users to check a constantly moving target.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Make The Switch - »openmedia.ca/switch

BrianV

join:2008-11-17
Long Sault, ON
reply to freejazz_RdJ
Unfortunately, Cumberland is not 'officially' covered by EORN - it's too close to Ottawa. The boundary falls halfway between Cumberland and Rockland. That said, it's close enough to the coverage area that he might get lucky and be able to pick up wireless signal from one of the new towers...