how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

KAMitchell

join:2005-02-25
Elmwood Park, IL

[CDV] No self-swap eMTA for DOCSIS 3.0

Chatted online with Comcast about getting my Arris TM502G eMTA swapped for DOCSIS 3 and IPv6 support. Not to mention that when I go to »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/, they don't consider the TM502G to be sufficient for Blast! service anyway.

They said, "For this issue, I would advice [sic] you to please have it swapped at our local office."

That's actually not true. After disconnecting the eMTA and taking it to the local office (that I found by searching their site for offices that did CDV self-installs and eMTA swaps), I got told a combination of something like they don't have them, and eMTAs always require a truck roll. For $30.

So don't believe what they tell you online.

I'm going to call them later and see if I can get a technician to come out, and ask them to waive the fee. After all, I just spent my Saturday morning on a fruitless mission at their incorrect suggestion, besides being a customer with them or their two predecessors for 13 years.

And as much as I'd like to be on IPv6 for the fun of it, getting customers transitioned is ultimately to Comcast's benefit as the IPv4 space nears exhaustion.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1

What speed tier do you subscribe to?

KAMitchell

Elmwood Park, IL

said by Oedipus:

I've got Blast!

Just got off the phone with Comcast, and they said they can mail me a new eMTA to self install with a prepaid return label for the old one. And they're waiving the $10 self-install charge because of the inconvenience.

Not bad, I don't think.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

That's interesting.

Now, I don't know if my local office has an eMTA D3 modem, but I went down there about a week ago now, and swapped out my old Thomson one for an Arris (Model # TM402P). Both of these are D2 eMTA modems

I had an issue with the battery in the Thomson one, so I took it down there and swapped it out.

I did ask if they had a D3 eMTA, as I did want to have one. However, since my speed tier does not require it (Performance w/powerboost), they did not give me one.

Again, not sure if they just did not have any, or just did not give me one because I did not need it.

However, my local office does do the swap, and it was no charge.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to KAMitchell

said by KAMitchell:

said by Oedipus:

I've got Blast!

Just got off the phone with Comcast, and they said they can mail me a new eMTA to self install with a prepaid return label for the old one. And they're waiving the $10 self-install charge because of the inconvenience.

Not bad, I don't think.

Using the on-line chat has got to be Comcast's weakest arm of customer support. If I have an issue with equipment and such I never contact the on-line chat...much better results calling Comcast CS.

I had no trouble whatsoever having Comcast send me a D3 eMTA swapping out the D2 eMTA. I did pay the $10 install fee, but no shipping charges either direction.
--
Deeds, not words

flwpwr

@comcast.net
reply to KAMitchell

D2 will do blast, but policy is they change yo to a D3, so they can try and sell you higher speeds, if you up it once, you'll want more kind of thing and after blast yyou have to have a D3 to make the speed. As to not self swappable, that is 100% BS, because unbeknownst to us they mailed out D3 emtas about a year after we switched to D3, and hammered us with trouble calls when people could not figure out how to set them up. Call up ask them to mail one, and see if they do takes more, but I know for a fact they do it, way too many late nights on the phone with broken minute man syndrone, proving otherwise.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
reply to KAMitchell

EMTA installs/swap-outs always require a truck roll. Every time I had phone installed or an EMTA swap-out, they always send a tech even though I am capable of doing a self install.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

said by IowaCowboy:

EMTA installs/swap-outs always require a truck roll. Every time I had phone installed or an EMTA swap-out, they always send a tech even though I am capable of doing a self install.

I wonder if this is a local thing? Back on May 18th, I went into my local Comcast office, and told them I wanted to add CDV (I already had Cable TV and Internet). They looked in their system, saw what modem I was renting from them (Scientific Atlanta By Cisco, model # DPC2100R2), and the gave me an eMTA modem (Thomson Internet Voice Modem, Model # DHG536). Told me to go home, swap out the old one for the new one, and active it (either online or by calling them). I did just that, and I was up and running on the new modem in no time.

Few weeks later, I find out I have a battery issue with the Thompson modem. I take it back to my local office, tell them the issue, and they swap it out for another eMTA modem. This time, its an Arris (Model: TM402P)

No truck roll, no tech visit. The only thing they did do was charge me a one time fee of $10, when I added CDV to begin with.

I will say that anytime I have gone down to my local office to do anything, I never have any issues. The people that work there are always helpful, answer whatever questions I have, and always have the equipment in stock.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

I had no problem getting self-install. I was sent a D2 Thompson eMTA and D3 Cisco modem as a self-install kit, and later swapped them for a D3 eMTA, neither of which required a tech visit.
--
Deeds, not words

KAMitchell

Elmwood Park, IL
reply to KAMitchell

Still no luck. Even though Comcast promised to send me a modem, haven't seen one yet. Any idea how long that takes?

I'd call, but their lines seem to be swamped due to storm outages, so I'll try later.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by KAMitchell:

Still no luck. Even though Comcast promised to send me a modem, haven't seen one yet. Any idea how long that takes?

I'd call, but their lines seem to be swamped due to storm outages, so I'll try later.

When they sent mine to swap they said up to a week or 10 days, but it did not take nearly that long, more like 3 - 4 days.
--
Deeds, not words

usmcmason

join:2009-09-11
Plainfield, IL
reply to KAMitchell

I brought my TM602 to the Joliet office 2 days ago and after telling them I had speed issues and an unreliable connection, they handed me a TM722. Granted, they gave me a rental that wouldn't power up, but they still did it. Later that night I purchased a TM722 from the Best Buy in Aurora and had it up and running that night - no rollout.
--
Semper Fidelis

m29a

join:2012-06-10
Indiana, PA

1 recommendation

reply to KAMitchell

That's odd. Mine was swapped at my local office without hassle. They actually already knew what I wanted to do, I assume many people are doing that now (as they should). I got my TM502G swapped with a TM702G. I hope you get that worked out. Customers on Blast! definitely deserve a D3 modem.

KAMitchell

Elmwood Park, IL
reply to KAMitchell

Just by way of an update.

I called 7/13 to inquire about the modem not showing up, and the rep said that they never sent it. Then they put in another request for me, and credited the fees for doing so.

It's 7/31, and there's no modem.

The original attempt on 6/23 actually appears on my bill as "Sik Video Only Shipping" with a corresponding discount. And there's a mystery credit of $7.67, which may correspond to the credit on 7/13.

I don't know what's up with Comcast. I'm assuming I'm in a DOCSIS 3.0 area because they're offering me Extreme 105 service in the sales site when I'm logged in to my account.

At this point, I'm thinking Comcast will upgrade me when it is necessary.

jagolden

join:2003-02-09
Fords, NJ
reply to KAMitchell

I'm in the Union NJ system and here's my experience with attempting to swap to a D3 eMTA via self-install:

7/26 - Called for a self install eMTA; after an extended sales pitch for Comcast Home Security, the rep ordered one to be shipped via 2 day
7/30 - Received an empty box with label to return old equipment but no D3 eMTA
7/30 - Called again, no record of order. Rep reordered D3 eMTA via 2 day
8/2 - Nothing arrived. Called Comcast. First rep claimed that there was no account in my name. Second rep disconnected. Third rep said the problem was due the need for third party verification, somehow related to e911. He tried to order one but his system was treating it as a new install/number port and wouldn't let him send one out priority. He agreed waive the $49 service call fee and arranged for a tech to install the new D3 eMTA this Saturday between 5 and 7 PM.

All in all, a very frustrating experience. Most of the reps I spoke to were very polite and professional - but very poorly trained and seemed to have very little idea of what was going on. The last guy seemed to know what he was doing, but the part about needing third party verification for e911 and the system treating this as a number porting made no sense. We'll see what Saturday brings...

SLAYER6669

join:2011-09-07
Toms River, NJ
reply to KAMitchell

I went through the same kind of nonsense less then a year ago when I was upgrading my older Arris to the 722.. I did online chat and they said I could swap it at the office, so I called and they said they do not have them at the office and they would ship me a self install kit. Two weeks or so went by and nothing came. I call back and they said the order was cancelled because the rep never set up the third party verification as mentioned above. They once again re-did the order and I did the third party verification and the modem arrived a week or so later.

I connected it and the internet worked but no phone. I called in and they said it isn't provisioned properly and they would have to do a truck roll. Now the new modem is connected and I have no phone line and the CSR had no idea how to fix the problem. I decided to reconnect my old eMTA in another room on my own, and low and behold my phone was working again. Tech came out and had trouble provisioning the modem with his equipment and he made a call and it was working. I get my bill and they charged me for a truck roll even though I was sent an incorrectly provisioned self install kit. I called and complained and they credited me back. Nightmare.