uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL
reply to Jack_in_VA

Re: What the home insecptor found...

I'm sure it's safe. Just stating the fact that you can't use it here. Well, I suppose you can but you have to run it through conduit so it's kind of pointless.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by Jon:

I'm sure it's safe. Just stating the fact that you can't use it here. Well, I suppose you can but you have to run it through conduit so it's kind of pointless.

Requiring conduit in a residential home is what's pointless. Either Romex is safe or it's not.

iknow
Premium
join:2012-03-25

1 recommendation

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by Jon:

Requiring conduit in a residential home is what's pointless. Either Romex is safe or it's not.

It was probably required before AFCI breakers were required. apparently, they are worried about a fire causing an electrical fire!.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by iknow:

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by Jon:

It was probably required before AFCI breakers were required. apparently, they are worried about a fire causing an electrical fire!.

That doesn't answer the question. Either it's safe or it's not. The NEC deems it safe to use so there has to be another reason that "some" localities" ban it requiring conduit making an exception to the code.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
NYC dosen't allow romex because supposedly rodents chew through and cause problems.

It depends on population density and preparedness. A house goes up in the sticks and that sucks. A structure catches fire in a major metropolitan center and look what happened in Chicago in 1871.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
The preceding posting is null and void in Arizona and any other jurisdiction where prohibited by law.

Premium
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:3
reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

In some cases conduit is required to be used with Romex, for example under the SFBC in CBS construction if Romex is to be run on the inner side of the exterior wall between the drywall and the blocks it must be run in conduit for full mechanical protection.

The reason for this is the Romex between the drywall and the bock has no where to move as such something as simple as a homeowner hanging a picture on the wall and piercing the Romex has happened to the point the SFBC was upgraded to take into account the shortcomings of Romex.

Wayne
--
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change ready…