join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

2 recommendations

reply to Jack_in_VA

Re: What the home insecptor found...

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by Jon:

You're not allowed to use Romex in IL. Everything has to be in conduit. It sucks. Someones family member probably owns a conduit factory.

No it the result of Unions influencing building requirements. Romex is fine and used everywhere the Unions have not colluded with local officials to ban it making work for them at extra expense for the builder and buyers. If Romex is not safe in IL then it's not safe anywhere. Perhaps the NEC should not allow it.

Blame them for everything. Unions make up roughly 7% of the private sector work force. I think you are using them as a scapegoat, like many people do. It is more like the electrical industry as a whole influencing things, instead, if this is the case. You neglect to mention the political influence of large non-union building trades organizations such as ABC. »www.abc.org/Government_Affairs/P···tee.aspx

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
= Lurch77 See Profile]

Blame them for everything. Unions make up roughly 7% of the private sector work force. I think you are using them as a scapegoat, like many people do. It is more like the electrical industry as a whole influencing things

If that were the case it would be much more widespread instead of being concentrated in very strong union states like IL.

, instead, if this is the case. You neglect to mention the political influence of large non-union building trades organizations such as ABC. »www.abc.org/Government_Affairs/P···tee.aspx

quote:
The purpose of ABC PAC is to work within the federal election process to further the goals of the association through direct involvement in supporting and opposing candidates for the Office of President, United States Senate and United States House of Representatives. This is accomplished through educating our members on the importance of political activism and through financial support of merit shop candidates.

If you can explain to me what this has to do with Romex being banned in some states, I would appreciate it.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

1 recommendation

They have, like national unions, local offices. And they petition political figures and entities the same way to get what they want. Trust me when I say the members of an organization like ABC will do whatever it takes to get more work, just like you say about the unions.

That aside, it bothers me when people make claims like you did without having any proof backing up the claim. WI is a very strong union state, as is Michigan. And there are many others. IL is the only one that has a no romex law, as far as I am aware. To say it is because of unions just seems like another anti-union person looking to blame them for yet something else.