Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to Oleg

Re: Need to buy auto parts

Rock Auto is the worst. They make mistakes and then expect you to pay for them. They treat you poorly on the phone even when they are dyslexic and made the mistake.

Any store is better than Rock Auto.
Lots of good deals on new or used parts can be found through marketplace stores liek ebay or amazon.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2

Yea. Seems like it's a mixed experience with them »www.resellerratings.com/store/RockAuto

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to r81984

said by r81984:

Rock Auto is the worst. They make mistakes and then expect you to pay for them.

Hmm I have the exact opposite experience and have spend at least $2800 in parts with them in just the last 3 Years. In fact when they shipped the wrong brake rotors, they shipped a correct set right away at no additional charge and told me to keep the wrong set. I guess it really pays to follow my dear departed grandmother's old saying of "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar". YMMV

They are not the worst. Even been on the NAPA website?
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

1 edit

I called them up as polite as can be and explained they sent the wrong numbered part. I understand mistakes happen, no big deal right?
Their picker grabbed the wrong brake pads and shipped them to me. He read some number backwards.

They wanted me to pay return shipping. They wanted me to ship back the wrong stuff before they would send the correct stuff.
They would not ship the replacement by expedited shipping.
My original order took 2 weeks to get to me in first place with their standard shipping (i dont know why, items from china are faster).

I was calm and polite and said I will not pay extra for their mistake and I should not have to wait another 2 weeks + return shipping time (another 4 to 5 days) for their mistake.
They got really shitty with an attitude refusing to send me the correct parts. So I then got pissed, then I was no longer kind and calm and basically told them to screw themselves and that I was going to do a chargeback and go and buy from Autozone (I did not want to do this as Autozone did not have the brand I wanted).

After I did the chargeback someone called me back from Rock Auto begging me to reverse the chargeback. I told him too late and hung up.

I would not say YMMV. My experience was not some extreme or oddball situation.
I just was never treated so poorly from any other online retailer. Usually online retailers try to fix their mistakes without any arguing.
--

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

O man this is very sad how they do business, and treat their customers

When they have called you back asking to reverse the chargeback, did they apologize or just have told you straight up to reverse the chargeback?

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

said by Oleg:

O man this is very sad how they do business, and treat their customers

When they have called you back asking to reverse the chargeback, did they apologize or just have told you straight up to reverse the chargeback?

They called me up apologizing and asked me to reverse it and they would pay the return shipping.

I cut them off and said I had to go to autozone to buy brake pads because of their screw up and told them some nasty comments about how they failed at customer service. At that point I had an attitude with them as I did not want to do business with a online retailer that somehow takes 2 weeks to ship and then refuses to cover return shipping when the mistake was 100% theirs.
The guy then wanted to keep arguing about the whole situation like he could persuade me to reverse the chargeback so I ended the call. I already had my money back and new brake pads.
There was nothing they could do for me to make me happy with their company after I had to do a chargeback.

I read all those reviews from that link you posted.
Alot of people had the exact same experience as me with Rock Auto making mistakes and refusing to fix them.

Every now and then someone on here posts to use Rock Auto, so I will always post to warn against using them. They are not a well run company.
--

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

1 edit

Exactly. What were they thinking screwing around with the customer by refusing to provide acceptable customer service, especially to a first time customer. Some companies will even let you keep the item, and replace it with a good one or issue you a full refund.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
reply to r81984

said by r81984:

I would not say YMMV. My experience was not some extreme or oddball situation.

Well I am the one that "said" it and after over 35 separate and well spaced orders with them, they only messed up 1 order and then sent the right rotors at no extra charge and did not require the other rotors to be returned. That is a 99.9% order completion rate with nothing but accuracy and on-time delivery. It sure makes your single experience sound like a one time fluke which I will point out every time I see it.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

1 edit

From this, it sounds like you had the fluke and my experience was typical.
»www.resellerratings.com/store/RockAuto
3.9/10 - 2734 reviews
Lots of stories just like mine where they sent the wrong parts and refused to fix it for free.

Its funny they could still buy an "A+" rating on the BBB even with all the really bad complaints.
»www.bbb.org/wisconsin/Business-R···-reviews
The negative 2/28/2012 comment on the BBB is just sad.
It looks like if they send you the right parts everything is fine, but they are horrible at fixing the problem when they make the mistake and ship you the wrong parts.
Also I would say the reviews indicate they have a high rate of sending the wrong parts.

The risk of them making a mistake and knowing they wont fix it makes it not worth buying from them.
--

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL
reply to Doctor Olds

In my view it all depends on the management and staff, but still there is no excuse for what they have done to most of the people by f****** the orders, and refusing to correct it unless a customer takes it to their own hands.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

»Re: Need to buy auto parts
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

1 recommendation

Like i have said it's all depends on the personal.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

1 recommendation

reply to r81984

said by r81984:

From this, it sounds like you had the fluke and my experience was typical.

The math still shows you are the fluke. I have 35 separate orders that were 100% accurate and perfect with only 1 order that had an issue that was quickly resolved at no addition expense to myself. That's a 99.9 % fill rate with 100% customer satisfaction on my part.
--