yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr to elitefx

Anon

to elitefx

Re: [Express] Rogers express 80gb cap?

said by elitefx:

said by yyzlhr :

Also, don't worry, Rogers is launching a paid premium tech support product, not sure if they will be supporting 3rd party routers though.

So what you're saying is Rogers complete lack of technical knowledge, untrained and unskilled support staff and their inability to support up to date technology is Roger's reason to deny Rogers customers freedom of choice on their HiSpeed services.
And what, pray tell, is Roger's reasoning behind their continued discrimination and abuse directed at their D2 internet subscribers??
Why are we paying higher fees for non-existant network improvements?? Limiting user access is not a network improvement but rather a degradation of services.
Who is Rogers hiring to maintain their networks? Dogwalkers and Panhandlers??
3rd party Standalone D3 modems are just like their D2 predecessors, they all utilize the same docsis 3 chip. All the Rogers trained seals need to do is type in the Mac address and click on "activate". It's not rocket science. Of course, anything more than answering a phone would seem like quantum physics to Rogers IT department.

I don't think you read my entire post. The reason why Rogers is moving away from standalone modems is so that they are able to better support customers who don't know how to configure and troubleshoot these devices. The vast majority of customers are NOT on these forums and are NOT tech savvy and they really appreciate the option of having Rogers remotely access the device and configured for them.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

1 edit

1 recommendation

elitefx

said by yyzlhr :

The reason why Rogers is moving away from standalone modems is so that they are able to better support customers who don't know how to configure and troubleshoot these devices.

I hear what you're saying my friend BUT for Rogers to offer a Gateway for one and only one segment of their customers is, not only bad for business, but it is basically saying to hell with the rest of us.
For Rogers to provide/activate a standalone D3 modem, 3rd party or not, would be saying "Hey, We appreciate your business and we'll do what it takes to keep it"
Now, is there anyone on Planet Earth that could imagine Rogers actually showing respect and appreciation to their customers without trying to swindle another few bucks out of us?????
Can you imagine what would happen if Ford or GM only sold one model of car??
Hooter
join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

1 recommendation

Hooter to yyzlhr

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr :

I don't think you read my entire post. The reason why Rogers is moving away from standalone modems is so that they are able to better support customers who don't know how to configure and troubleshoot these devices. The vast majority of customers are NOT on these forums and are NOT tech savvy and they really appreciate the option of having Rogers remotely access the device and configured for them.

I beg to differ with your comment. I still have a stand alone D2 modem and I have never needed to have Rogers remotely access it and configure it for me. Adding a router was no problem whatsoever. On the other hand, when a customer "downgrades" to one of the D3 gateways, and then discovers that the wireless component is a piece of crap, they are left holding the bag. The customer who is not tech savvy as you suggest then has to somehow try and figure out what to do next. They may have no clue as to how to have the Rogers unit placed in bridge mode so that they can then add their own router which they were told by Rogers (falsely) they would not need. It would be much better to have a stand alone D3 modem (which Rogers could certainly provide support for) and then add your own choice of router.

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr

Anon

It's easy for us to say that as people who are comfortable with technology. But as a former Rogers employee and a former employee of other tech companies, you would be surprised at how technologically inept most people are. Surprisingly, plugging in a router is a daunting task for most people.
Hooter
join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

1 recommendation

Hooter

said by yyzlhr :

It's easy for us to say that as people who are comfortable with technology. But as a former Rogers employee and a former employee of other tech companies, you would be surprised at how technologically inept most people are. Surprisingly, plugging in a router is a daunting task for most people.

I do agree that when it comes to technology, that many people are totally inept. However, in my opinion it is easier to hook up a router to a stand alone modem than it is to figure out what to do with a Rogers gateway when they discover that the wireless range is extremely poor and their connection keeps on dropping.

My son had this problem with the first gateway Rogers gave him. He had no clue what to do so he phoned Rogers. They told him to reboot the modem by unplugging it for 30 seconds and then plug it back in. It worked for a bit but the problem returned. Next phone call, they tell him to take it in and exchange for a new modem. Same problem because the gateway is a piece of junk! And as you say, if people are that technologically inept, when you tell them to put the modem into "bridge mode", it is like you are speaking a foreign language to them!

Bottom line - for anyone running a home network, a stand alone D3 modem with your own router is likely a much less daunting task than solving the problems of the Rogers gateways when the wireless component does not work properly.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

said by Hooter:

Bottom line - for anyone running a home network, a stand alone D3 modem with your own router is likely a much less daunting task than solving the problems of the Rogers gateways when the wireless component does not work properly.

The thing that just blows my mind is that I could walk into a Rogers store tomorrow morning and say to a Rogers CSR "Here's $5,000.00, give me your best stand alone D3 modem so I get what I'm paying for on Express" and the guy would look at me and say "Sorry sir, all we have are SMC Gateways".
I can't even fix this D3 modem issue with a pile of money. Now, how ridiculous is that??? I will not spend one red cent on SMC or ANY Gateway garbage.