spc
Search similar:

uniqs

ipv6huh
@comcast.net

ipv6huh

Anon

[IPv6] Not getting IPv6 address

I'm in IL, where I see other's have had success getting an IPv6 address, but I don't :-(

My cable modem is a Motorola SB6121...

Firmware Name: SB612X-1.0.3.3-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.
Hardware Version: 5.0
Serial Number: 35907*************
Firmware Build Time: Aug 12 2010 13:58:19

When visiting the modem status page at 192.168.100.1 I see...
MDD IP Mode Override (MIMO) = IPv4 Only
Modem's IP Mode = IPv4 Only

My router is a Netgear FVS318N with IPv6 turned on, when I visit the WAN status I see...

IP Address | Subnet Mask | Gateway | Status
WAN (IPv4) 67.174.**.*** | 255.255.252.0 | 67.174.**.* | UP
WAN (IPv6) fe80::e246:9aff:fe1e:6c63/64 | - | fe80::201:5cff:fe24:71c1 | Up

...I take that fe80:: address to mean "Link-local" which is not one that is route-able over the Internet??? Any ideas on what I need to do?

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by ipv6huh :

Those 2 lines mean the modems interface and confige pages are IP4 only for now, the modem can still pass through a IPv6 address.
However right now you may only have use of 1 IP address
Take the router out the picture.
REBOOT/Powercycle everything.
If you now have v6 internet you can try adding the router back in and adjusting the settings

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35

Anon

Connect directly to the modem's ethernet port with a Windows 7/Vista machine or a Mac and see if it pulls one that way. If not then you apparently don't have IPv6 enabled.
tranle
join:2001-06-10
Mountain View, CA

1 recommendation

tranle to ipv6huh

to ipv6huh
said by ipv6huh :

My router is a Netgear FVS318N with IPv6 turned on, when I visit the WAN status I see...

I have also a netgear router (although different WNDR3800) and I had to set under Advanced Setup->IPV6->Internet Connection Type: DHCP
The default of 'Auto' was not negotiating correctly to talk to Comcast's DHCPV6 servers.

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
said by ipv6huh :

This is what the DOCSIS side of the cable modem is going to do, this doesnt mean anything to the LAN (CPE) Interface. So the bottom line is this doesnt mean anything to the user. This is so the cable modem knows what to do with the DOCSIS side of the modem or the management side of the modem.
said by tshirt:

Those 2 lines mean the modems interface and confige pages are IP4 only for now, the modem can still pass through a IPv6 address.
However right now you may only have use of 1 IP address
Take the router out the picture.
REBOOT/Powercycle everything.
If you now have v6 internet you can try adding the router back in and adjusting the settings

When you say modem interface most people think of the LAN (CPE) interface, so this would be incorrect. The two lines are for the DOCSIS interface only.
NetDog

NetDog to ipv6huh

Premium Member

to ipv6huh
said by ipv6huh :

I'm in IL, where I see other's have had success getting an IPv6 address, but I don't :-(

...I take that fe80:: address to mean "Link-local" which is not one that is route-able over the Internet??? Any ideas on what I need to do?

Link-local is only used for the local link, this just means your router is enabled for v6. Do you have DHCPv6 enabled? does it support DHCP-PD? The area your in should have support but with-out your CM-MAC I can't tell you for 100% if the CMTS your on supports IPV6.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by NetDog:

said by ipv6huh :

Link-local is only used for the local link, this just means your router is enabled for v6. Do you have DHCPv6 enabled? does it support DHCP-PD? The area your in should have support but with-out your CM-MAC I can't tell you for 100% if the CMTS your on supports IPV6.

It is possible Comcast may have had problems and turned it off in that area. I know that happened to me in S.NJ. I was working on IPV6 since IPV6 World Launch Day and then mid last week it went away and I couldn't get it back, despite doing all the usual methods mentioned above. I never followed up with cust svc, since that would be a waste of time. Cust Svc is NOT ready to help with IPV6 yet. Every few days I'll give it another try.

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

1 recommendation

NetDog

Premium Member

said by FFH5:

It is possible Comcast may have had problems and turned it off in that area. I know that happened to me in S.NJ. I was working on IPV6 since IPV6 World Launch Day and then mid last week it went away and I couldn't get it back, despite doing all the usual methods mentioned above. I never followed up with cust svc, since that would be a waste of time. Cust Svc is NOT ready to help with IPV6 yet. Every few days I'll give it another try.

I would have to say no, but send me your MAC Address via PM and I will take a look for you. If something is wrong on the production network I will see to it, and make sure it gets fixed. Send me your CM MAC via PM, so I can pull your data.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by NetDog:

said by FFH5:

I would have to say no, but send me your MAC Address via PM and I will take a look for you. If something is wrong on the production network I will see to it, and make sure it gets fixed. Send me your CM MAC via PM, so I can pull your data.

Sent info to you.

ipv6huh
@comcast.net

ipv6huh to NetDog

Anon

to NetDog
I apologize I have not posted back to try the suggestion of plugging my laptop into the cable modem directly - I will try that soon.

On a somewhat related note, I have now proven to Netgear support that something is very wrong with DNS resolution through their FVS318N device, as in frequent timeouts/lack of DNS response, regardless of the DNS server IPs specified (and regardless of DNS Proxy setting disabled) I need to see if I can get that worked out first.

Is the "future" of IPv6 to always run dual stack, as in, for the foreseeable future clients and the router must have both a IPv4 and IPv6 address? Is is not possible for me to run my inside LAN with only IPv6 addresses, and the router gets an IPv6 IP from the ISP - and yest still reach IPv4 sites?
My thinking being, either in my network perimeter router, or upstream in one of the ISP's routers, they are making the "leap" or "route" between IPv6 and IPv4 for me?
I see the opposite is known as "IPv6 Tunnel Broker" is there some "IPv6 Reverse Tunnel Broker" ??? Point me in the right direction so I can learn more.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by ipv6huh:

Is the "future" of IPv6 to always run dual stack, as in, for the foreseeable future clients and the router must have both a IPv4 and IPv6 address? Is is not possible for me to run my inside LAN with only IPv6 addresses, and the router gets an IPv6 IP from the ISP - and yest still reach IPv4 sites?
My thinking being, either in my network perimeter router, or upstream in one of the ISP's routers, they are making the "leap" or "route" between IPv6 and IPv4 for me?
I see the opposite is known as "IPv6 Tunnel Broker" is there some "IPv6 Reverse Tunnel Broker" ??? Point me in the right direction so I can learn more.

What would be the point of doing that (other than just idle curiosity to see if you can do it)?

Tunnels are inherently less efficient than a direct connection and the overhead from running simultaneous IPv4 and IPv6 protocol stacks is miniscule. Most likely you were already running a dual protocol stack in the operating system on most (if not all) of your PCs anyway (whether the OS is a recent version of Windows, OS X, or a *nix variant, and whether or not your ISP supports native dual stack).
ipv6huh
join:2012-06-26

ipv6huh

said by NetFixer:

What would be the point of doing that (other than just idle curiosity to see if you can do it)?

Yep, that was it - I wanted to be an IPv6 snob. It was a silly pipe dream, thanks for the explanation.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

1 recommendation

AVonGauss

Premium Member

To answer your questions...

Yes, they aren't called IPv6 Reverse Brokers but they do exist, albeit more or less at an experimental or research stage.

You won't be able to drop IPv4 entirely even on your inside network in the short term until all Internet resources are available via IPv6. For example, if you only had the IPv6 stack running on your workstation right now (no IPv4) and tried to access dslreports.com it would not work because the workstation would not believe it could reach this website since its only available via IPv4 (still). There are quirky hacks you could do to make it work "automagically", but there just isn't enough need to right now to make a solution work.

It is a good question, imo - if you have IPv6 now, do you still need IPv4...
ipv6huh

ipv6huh to ipv6huh

to ipv6huh
Update, although not related to the original problem...

After allot of back-and-forth Netgear ended up replacing the FVS318N I had - they thought there was some sort of hardware defect with the device, rather than comprehending the proof I provided that DNS packets often get "lost" leading to seemingly random timeouts and "page cannot be found" errors in the browser. Tests and proof were provided using IPv4 only and with IPv6 enabled, and it made no difference.

The brand new FVS318N they sent me has the same exact problem, regardless of the factory loaded firmware or the latest from their website.

When testing the same exact network configuration, where all other equipment is the same but only the router is changed to a Netgear FVS336Gv2 or a Cisco RV042v3 - the DNS problem is not apparent - so, I conclude, the FVS318N is still not ready for real-world implementation although it has been out for over a year.

Unfortunately for me, I liked Netgear as their devices allow for two separate networks sharing 1 public IP, essentially NAT from WAN to LAN interface, and NAT from WAN to DMZ interface which can be configured as a separate LAN including DHCP on the router.

I would love to continue testing IPv6 with the RV042v3, but it will not allow me to create a second network off the DMZ port unless I have another IP from my ISP to assign to it.

Any suggestions on a router (that isn't a $500+ Cisco ASA) that will do IPv6 and two inside networks?

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by ipv6huh:

Any suggestions on a router (that isn't a $500+ Cisco ASA) that will do IPv6 and two inside networks?

An old PC or Intel Atom running pfsense.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf to ipv6huh

to ipv6huh
Well I'm gonna nominate a Linksys E or EA router because it supports IPv6 and now with the cloud firmware not being mandatory. I'm sure others are gonna bash my nomination for a D-Link or another Netgear though.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

said by ipv6huh:

Unfortunately for me, I liked Netgear as their devices allow for two separate networks sharing 1 public IP, essentially NAT from WAN to LAN interface, and NAT from WAN to DMZ interface which can be configured as a separate LAN including DHCP on the router...

Well I'm gonna nominate a Linksys E or EA router because it supports IPv6 and now with the cloud firmware not being mandatory. I'm sure others are gonna bash my nomination for a D-Link or another Netgear though.

Which Linksys E or EA series router supports two isolated inside networks?

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Not familiar with that but here is something I came across. »www.wirelessforums.org/a ··· 113.html

ctgreybeard
Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium Member
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT

ctgreybeard to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

I just replaced my E3200 with an Apple Airport Extreme (which supports a separate guest connection) but IIRC the E3200 had the option to add a separate guest network.

Right now I have three networks, one on 2GHz, one on 5GHz and an open Guest network.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by ctgreybeard:

said by NetFixer:

I just replaced my E3200 with an Apple Airport Extreme (which supports a separate guest connection) but IIRC the E3200 had the option to add a separate guest network.

Right now I have three networks, one on 2GHz, one on 5GHz and an open Guest network.

The OP was referring to physically isolated wired ethernet network segments sharing the same internet connection (something I have done with an RV082 using different VLANs for different switch ports on the router), not wireless networks with different SSIDs. But perhaps with the help of a wireless to ethernet bridge, a wireless guest connection might work.
ipv6huh

ipv6huh to ipv6huh

to ipv6huh
I believe the RV042 shares the same firmware/interface code as the RV082, I see how I could use port-based VLANs, but all the networks were still in the same subnet - I'd really like a different IP scheme between the LAN and DMZ (or LAN2) interfaces, and the ability for firewall rules between WAN to LAN, WAN to DMZ, and DMZ to LAN (as the Netgear's did right) Am I missing something in how to accomplish this, or is the RV082 feature set different.

You are correct that I am mapping different SSIDs to different VLANs, and different VLANs to different firewall interfaces (LAN vs. DMZ)

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by ipv6huh:

I believe the RV042 shares the same firmware/interface code as the RV082, I see how I could use port-based VLANs, but all the networks were still in the same subnet - I'd really like a different IP scheme between the LAN and DMZ (or LAN2) interfaces, and the ability for firewall rules between WAN to LAN, WAN to DMZ, and DMZ to LAN (as the Netgear's did right) Am I missing something in how to accomplish this, or is the RV082 feature set different.

You are correct that I am mapping different SSIDs to different VLANs, and different VLANs to different firewall interfaces (LAN vs. DMZ)

You are correct that the RV0xx series does not allow mapping different subnets to different VLANs (at least not the hardware v1 and v2 boxes... I don't know about the hardware v3 boxes). That is definitely a limitation in their VLAN implementation, but aside from sharing the same IP subnet, the different VLANs in the RV0xx architecture were definitely isolated from each other (only the RV0xx itself and the Internet were common to the different VLANs). I used to use it to provide isolated internet connectivity for PCs that I was repairing/testing, and for guest connections, so the isolation was the only thing I was interested in.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf to NetFixer

to NetFixer
I've seen with a Cisco WAP4410 wireless access point it allowed four isolated SSID's. It also has a bridge mode.
Expand your moderator at work