spc
Search similar:

uniqs
cvinatoru
join:2008-11-16
Middle Village, NY

cvinatoru

FIOS 25/25-Asymmetrical speeds

I have FIOS 25/25 service, bundled with TV and digital voice.

My speeds measured with speedtest.net show always 30/18.

Is it normal for my service to have asymmetrical speeds? What can generate the asymmetry? Is it on VERIZON side or my side?

Thanks

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

30/25 is the provisioned speed. The test servers in general do not do well measuring the upload accurately. Make sure you pick a server that is less than 10ms away or it will skew your reported results downward

Also if you have firewalls/AV software on your computer that can have an effect and make sure you run the Verzion optimizer
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane to cvinatoru

to cvinatoru
What do you get here? Pick the server closest to you.

»speedtest.verizon.com/fios300/
texastown
join:2008-04-25
Plano, TX

1 edit

texastown

Also in Plano, just used your link: 30.75/26.99, am on 25/25.

I often check the speed and the upload is always somewhat slower. Has been explained on this site as Verizon providing the extra download speed to accommodate VOD needs so as not to slow down other internet operations in your home.
cvinatoru
Middle Village, NY

cvinatoru to McBane

to McBane
I get 30.78/26.66
cvinatoru

cvinatoru to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
I get same speeds with AV/Firewall deactivated.

I am in NYC. It seems that the tests on speedtest.net with the 3 servers available in NYC, all give me upload speed below 20.

VERIZON test gives me 26Mbs upload all the time.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Its the tests, not your line, only FIOS with the huge upload, most broadband is in the 1-5 mbs upload range. What this means is the tests use a data-set that is much to small for FIOS

I could go into a long explanation of the TCP-IP handshaking, how using small blocks of data for upload tests, the delay in the handshake proportionally effects the reported result and the tests use data size to the most common users ( 1/10th ) the size needed for a proper FIOS speed. If The test used the same data set as downloads, it would be a none-issue, then most people doing the tests would have to walk away for a few minutes for the upload test to complete

If you got your FIOS for looking at speed tests, then you should down grade, if you go it to transfer data, the speedtest reported values are useless

NYCDave has posted the maker of the test has made changes and the Verizon test uses the new version, but its not rolled out as the speedtest servers are all voluntary , many are hosted by cable company's like Comcast that have no incentive to show FIOS users how good the upload really is
cvinatoru
Middle Village, NY

cvinatoru

Now I've got it.

Thank you all for clarifications.