Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to diskace

Re: TPIA Providers for Ottawa

said by diskace:

LOL

Yeah he does ride a bike and i suspect it's part of the reason why you haven't seen him around recently. Just thinking out loud...

I forgot to add that he has now become fluent in yet another 'language' - Tweets.

He's still around - just not in HERE any more.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

So what GB do they normally include with 18Mb service these days ?

Comes with 80GB.

said by Davesnothere:

And Rogers normally charges extra for a modem rental ? (so does START, so that's even, there)

The rental is normally $7/month.

said by Davesnothere:

DPC3825 ?

When did Rogers decide to support THAT model ?

Isn't that the one with the combo wireless router in it ?

I don't know the exact dat but Rogers has been supporting it for a while now, yes it's a modem/router and so far it's pretty good.

said by Davesnothere:

As for install fees, I read the $15 somewhere on the Rogers site back in March, when I was making that Ontario IISP comparison spreadsheet.

I didn't have a tech out to my place so there was no fee for me.

KC7

join:2006-11-08
Ottawa, ON
reply to JCohen
It is time to switch. After 10 years of 1Mbps DSL We are switching.

Never had cable (TV or Internet) So I know there will be an installation charge, But the wires are rough-in so installation should be okay provided the cable is alright.

I have been lurking for a very long time.
• Now, we live just east of Bank street which means that we feel off of St.laurent POI correct?
• Do any one know if there are any congestion on St.laurent POI? I know Teksavvy had a devil of time back in the day.
• Any input is appreciated. Current candidates are Start, Distributel. Any other Indie ISPs I should consider? Our usage is roughly 150GB (might go higher), Any speed will do as long as we can stream TV (which we can't now), and we like to rent our modem.

Thanks in advance

KC

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC

2 edits
said by KC7:

• Now, we live just east of Bank street which means that we feel off of St.laurent POI correct?

Correct

said by KC7:

• Do any one know if there are any congestion on St.laurent POI? I know Teksavvy had a devil of time back in the day.

I was with TekSavvy Express Cable for the last year or so before I moved to Gatineau. Had some very minor congestion issues but I credit those more to local congestion due to living among students in Sandy Hill. In any case, even at the very worst (which was one week or so), my speeds never dropped below 5 mbps.

Local congestion in inherent to Cable, you will have the same experience with any ISP (including Rogers). DOCSIS 3 modems are your best tool to counteract the effects.

said by KC7:

• Any input is appreciated. Current candidates are Start, Distributel. Any other Indie ISPs I should consider? Our usage is roughly 150GB (might go higher), Any speed will do as long as we can stream TV (which we can't now), and we like to rent our modem.

TekSavvy doesn't rent modems. Not sure about Start. Distributel rents modems, but it may cost you more than TekSavvy will over the long term.

My best suggestion to you is to pay the extra few bucks and buy a DOCSIS 3 modem when you sign up for cable - even if you only activate on a slower speed, it may help with local congestion issues.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to KC7
said by KC7:

Never had cable (TV or Internet) So I know there will be an installation charge, But the wires are rough-in so installation should be okay provided the cable is alright.

Start charges a $50 installation fee and I believe that the other providers charge $65.

said by KC7:

Correct, although if you go with Start the only time you will have issues from that POI will affect you is if Rogers is doing work on it; when that happens all customers served, even Rogers customer will be affected.
said by KC7:

With Start capacity issues won't affect you the same way as customers on TekSavvy, Distributel and Acanac as they use an aggregated POI setup.

said by KC7:

Start and Distributel offer modem rental.
TekSavvy and Acanac you will need to own your own.

--

I have been using Start since July and I haven't had any issues with them at all, I've called into support a few times and the wait was extremely short and the staff were courteous and knowledgeable.

Up until I switched to Start I was using TekSavvy and I had no issues with the, I only switched providers due to an external reason not related to TekSavvy. I'm on the Fallowfield POI and was luckily not affected by the congestion issues that the ST. Laurent POI suffered. When I was a customer the on hold wait time was long at first as I joined just before all the capacity and DHCP issues started but after that the wait time was short.

--

My current speed tier with Start is the Standard Cable Internet, which is equivalent to the Rogers Express tier, it includes 18Mbps download and 512Kbps upload with a 200GB a month usage cap. I'm currently paying approximately $45 month without a modem rental. This speed tier is fast enough to have multiple users using the internet as well as streaming.