how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mrsaturn

join:2012-06-23

1 edit

[Signals] Mid-day ping spikes, disconnects, packet loss

middle of the day i have problems with comcast.
for the past 5 days.
usually around noon it starts then it stops in the evening. maybe
12-7pm, something like that. every day. it does not happen in evenings.

i get a ping spike once every minute or so in an online game or watching streaming video. it hangs for 10 seconds or more. pings in games spike to 1000-2000ms.
every 5 minutes or so i will be disconnected from the game flat-out.

failed some Line tests but not really sure how to interpret it - »/pingtest/6685···/2915118

ran a test at myspeed.visualware.com, got one negative result -
"Your quality of service was measured at 54%, which shows that your connection is unable to produce a constant stream of data.

some more tests i did »/testhistory/1835611/67d7e

any help or insight is appreciated. i can run more tests if need be.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
What do the modem's signal stats look like both when things are good and around the time that they seem to be getting bad ? Try getting them here; »192.168.100.1 or here »10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

Also, what is the exact make and model number of it ?

mrsaturn

join:2012-06-23

1 edit
Downstream
Freq/Power: 609.000 MHz -14 dBmV
Upstream
Freq/Power: 36.400 MHz 51 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio: 35 dB

im not sure how to get the 'bad' values.

i hit refresh on the page every 5 seconds or so for a few minutes, but nothing changes.

i hit refresh when streams or games start to sputter and choke, but the values don't change. except SNR might go from 35 to 34.

Modem is Arris TM602G/CT
Router is Netgear WNR1000

thank you for your reply(s) it is greatly appreciated.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
The downstream power is weak and the upstream is marginal. Are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured ?

If there aren't any uneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then putting them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.