how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

r2d2

join:2012-05-29

1 recommendation

Home Lab/Network Closet/for new house

Well i just purchased my new house and recentely setup my lab/network closet here are a few pictures.
Comments are welcome.

The laptop provides my network with dns/dhcp services running CentOS 6.2. For Storage I have a 5tb freenas server that is not shown and will be installed at the bottom of the rack tommrrow or the next day depending on when I get some time.

The UPS At the bottom of the rack is a SmartUPS 3000 from APC and will power all services till my back generator starts. The ups is fed from a 120 30amp ciruit on the back wall I also have a dedicated 20amp 120 ciruit for the security system from ADT that will be installed this week.

Most of the lab is not configured yet as I'm getting everything in place and am working on upgrading the routers to some newer equipment along with adding some juniper equipment.

r2d2

Adding another picture of back wall

jeffmoss26

join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH
reply to r2d2

Very nice and clean. Where did you get the red coax?

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium
join:2002-06-08
Greenville, SC
kudos:2
reply to r2d2

Whats that silver thing hanging on the right?

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium
join:2004-09-11
Woburn, MA

A phone?

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium
join:2002-06-08
Greenville, SC
kudos:2

said by Edrick:

A phone?

ooooooo ahhhhhhh !!

r2d2

Click for full size
Wireless Ap
Adding picture of the wireless ap that feeds the house by Ubiquiti networks, It is a Unifi AP Pro a,b,g,n speeds supported.

bemis

join:2008-07-18
Reading, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to r2d2

said by r2d2:

I also have a dedicated 20amp 120 ciruit for the security system from ADT that will be installed this week.

That seems like some crazy over-kill to be feeding just the security system... unless ADT has added electrified door knobs and window pulls?

Still, it probably will come in handy to have the capacity for something else.

Frank_IT
Premium
join:2003-11-01
Montreal

said by bemis:

said by r2d2:

I also have a dedicated 20amp 120 ciruit for the security system from ADT that will be installed this week.

That seems like some crazy over-kill to be feeding just the security system... unless ADT has added electrified door knobs and window pulls?

Still, it probably will come in handy to have the capacity for something else.

Effectively.. normally its a 1 or 2 amp question.. so there is no need for that.. even here at work, we have an entire access system and alarm on the same circuit and there is still "space" (15 amps)
--
Rogers - iPhone 4s 32gb

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to r2d2

do you have two cable modems? i have seen both models/brands, but never setup like that.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to r2d2

how much did that Unifi AP Pro set you back?

r2d2

reply to tomdlgns

said by tomdlgns:

do you have two cable modems? i have seen both models/brands, but never setup like that.

The Two cable modems is for voice and one is for data,

The Unifi AP pro set me back $150 dollars

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL

why wouldn't they give you 1 device that does voice and data? was their all in one device not DOCSIS 3.0 ready?

is that AP vlan friendly?

r2d2

The AP is very vlan friendly

I do not prefer the all in one device. and that is the reason I requested the a separate mta

Paulg
Displaced Yooper
Premium
join:2004-03-15
Neenah, WI
reply to r2d2

Why'd you rack the routers backwards? It's a pain having to go to the back of the rack to recable things, and then route to the front for switch ports.

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium
join:2004-09-11
Woburn, MA

I'm pretty sure technically that's the front, being that it has the front plate and logo / model. Being that in a setup that is configured and wont be touched how often are you going to be rerouting cables to your router compared to the network switches for example.

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL

yup, i agree with Edrick.

jjgb10
Premium
join:2004-11-24
Kasson, MN
reply to r2d2

I'm pretty sure that's not a Unifi PRO which is dual-band. This is the standard one because it has a Green LED and the pro has a blue one. Also, the pro is definitely not $150 but is upwards of $200 or more new.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4

said by jjgb10:

I'm pretty sure that's not a Unifi PRO which is dual-band. This is the standard one because it has a Green LED and the pro has a blue one. Also, the pro is definitely not $150 but is upwards of $200 or more new.

yep looks like the regular ap...ap pro has the blue ring light...»www.ubnt.com/unifi#appro

he may have gotten it on an employee discount?

Paulg
Displaced Yooper
Premium
join:2004-03-15
Neenah, WI
reply to Edrick

Yes, technically it is the front, but very few people mount them that way. If its for a lab, and there's not much reason to have that many of that old of routers if you're not lobbing, you're going to be moving cables frequently.

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
reply to r2d2

Sweet! Another thread with real networking rack pics! kudos for your home network

mike row

@rogers.com

the bottom modem is what they would call a "home phone modem" its a docsis modem but its a telephony adaptor, so its not really serving as a modem, its more of a modem + voip in one.