Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to JC_

Premium Member

to JC_

Re: TPIA Providers for Ottawa

However the question was which TPIA IISP, rather than modem, and I suggest START if you are in Cogeco-Land (which you are not).

Still, by using the aggregated POI approach both for Cogeo and for Rogers, START seems to be able to be more on top of growth patterns than the company whose name was tough to pronounce for a fellow who used to be a regular here - It's been a while - I forget his name at the moment, but I remember that he rides a bike, drinks Red Bull, and writes a lot of letters to the CRTC.

And sometimes he eats Breakfast.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by Davesnothere:

START seems to be able to be more on top of growth patterns than the company whose name was tough to pronounce for a fellow

Not having to order incremental physical ports/links on a per-POI basis (but still having to order capacity on a per-POI basis with Rogers) makes things much simpler for the cablecos since it allows them to lump all traffic on the same 10GbEs and routers they use for everything else.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by InvalidError:

Not having to order incremental physical ports/links on a per-POI basis (but still having to order capacity on a per-POI basis with Rogers) [doing it aggregated] makes things much simpler for the cablecos since it allows them to lump all traffic on the same 10GbEs and routers they use for everything else.

Absolutely, and it seems to be working well for START subscribers in my part of Cogeco-Land.

Cogeco bumped up the bandwidth of their AGG link once already and the effect was seamless and ON SCHEDULE.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

But I suspect START doesn't yet have the subscriber base anywhere close to their ordered capacity. It will be a real test when they saturate their aggregated pipe and see how long Rogers takes to upgrade it.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by BACONATOR26:

But I suspect START doesn't yet have the subscriber base anywhere close to their ordered capacity. It will be a real test when they saturate their aggregated pipe and see how long Rogers takes to upgrade it.

I added more to the post to which you replied.

Yer quite right in that we do not know how well that the same request category will go for them in Mister Rogers' 'Hood.

We all know all too well what an 'Exercise in Dentistry' it sometimes has been for that unnamed IISP to get Rogers to do their individual POI upgrades on any sort of predictable schedule.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to BACONATOR26

Premium Member

to BACONATOR26
said by BACONATOR26:

Having a 10 Gbps physical connection gives us a pretty good lead time. With the new model the cost of the physical CNI is dwarfed by the capacity cost so there is little reason to not upgrade the physical link 'early'. Rest assured the upgrade will be there well ahead of the demand.

diskace
Retired
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21

diskace to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

I forget his name at the moment, but I remember that he rides a bike, drinks Red Bull, and writes a lot of letters to the CRTC.

And sometimes he eats Breakfast.

LOL

Yeah he does ride a bike and i suspect it's part of the reason why you haven't seen him around recently. Just thinking out loud...

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by diskace:

LOL

Yeah he does ride a bike and i suspect it's part of the reason why you haven't seen him around recently. Just thinking out loud...

I forgot to add that he has now become fluent in yet another 'language' - Tweets.

He's still around - just not in HERE any more.