how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jnoble

join:2006-04-21
Bel Air, MD

[DVR] MRDVR 7232 keeping more than 5 episodes

So I like to have several saved shows for my son. I have the dvr set to record up to 5 episodes and to save them until I delete. On my old tivo, this would mean that the dvr would record 5 episodes and then as we watched them and deleted them the dvr would schedule an upcoming recording. Does the fios dvr not work this way? If it does, what settings do I need to change?

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

If you set the series to say keep up to 5 episodes, then it will start to delete the oldest one once it records the 6th episode. It will only keep 5.

jnoble

Bel Air, MD

I thought the same thing, but I'm at 9 saved episodes and counting. It's kids shows and there are a ton of them. They are sd so they don't take up much space but they tie up to tuners all the time. Help!

matcarl
Premium
Franklin Square, NY

Could you explain again what you are trying to do? Do you want to keep recording them as an ongoing series or just record a few?

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
kudos:1
reply to jnoble

It only sets a priority for the recordings. If you need space it will do a delete down to 5 episodes. But if not it will continue to record even more episodes.

jnoble

Bel Air, MD

I want to keep 5 episodes at any one time. We delete them after we watch them. Then I want the dvr to record one more episode after I delete one. Does that make sense? I never had issues with this when I used tivo. Thanks for helping me troubleshoot this.

matcarl
Premium
Franklin Square, NY

It's not going to record when you delete. It will just keep recording at the specified time and it will delete the oldest one keeping the five you also specified. If you want to only have five at a time and record only when you watch one, then you are going to have to record them manually after you delete them.

jnoble

Bel Air, MD

It would seem like simple code, if >5 episodes present on dvr record next showings until limit has been reached. Limit reached, don't record any until >5 on dvr. Tivo was able to do this in 2001...

Thanks again for hearing me out.

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4

I hate to disagree, but when I had my TiVo it didn't operate that way. If you told it to hold onto 5 episodes only, it would hold on to the last 5 episodes. If the next episode was set to record, it would delete the oldest of the that I currently had recorded, and start recording the next.